Sierra on e6330

griftopia

I managed to get my hands on a used e6330. Was hoping to use this guide to get me started on Sierra. Thinking it will be similar.

https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/8883-dell-latitude-e6230-with-i5-3340m-hd4000-and-1366x768-lcd-mavericksyosemiteel-capitansierra/

There seems to be a lot to be done. Just wanted to check if there were DSDT / SSDT packs I could use?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

@JakeLo. Bummer! I updated to the latest BIOS already and it is A19. Problem is I was on A08 and Windows kept bothering me to update "or dire consequences" while I was trying to test things out. What is my best way forward now?

Also should I change to UEFI or keep Legacy?

• Moderators

Either UEFI or Legacy is fine, but MacOS requires GPT. Is your Windows formatted with MBR?

If so, you'll need an MBR patch for MacOS to install.

The reason I mentioned BIOS A11 is because anything over will cause artifacts. You can try it yourself to confirm. 

If you find that it does occur, then downgrade to A11. But our experience is that just downgrading to A11 is not enough, you have to downgrade to A02/A03, then upgrade to A11.

If you opt for UEFI, then you'll have to reinstall Windows, Windows will run on GPT/UEFI starting with Windows 7 64bit I believe.

No problem to reinstall windows I think. Need to figure out how to downgrade BIOS. If only I had known.

Will need some time and then come back with results.If I get anywhere with current BIOS, as long as the "artifacts" are not painful, I might stick with it.

Thanks, as always.

• Moderators

The artifacts are really bad. Downgrade is really easy with Dell. Go to the Dell support site and download it from Windows. Run the executable.

Make sure you have a semi charged battery and have power adapter attached.

Install A02, then A11.

To dual boot (UEFI)

- First create 2 partitions Extended Journal when installing OS X. Make sure to jot down the size so you won't wipe out the wrong partition when you install Windows on it later.

Hint: don't make both the same size

- Use Disk Utility to prepare a Mac OS X Extended partitions (don’t ever use Fat32, Disk Utility will mess up your drive)

- After installing OS X, everything all setup including install Clover and bootpack.. Then install Windows

- Create a FAT32 usb drive, extract Windows 10 64-bit iso there (done on a Windows system)

- Boot to Win10 usb drive, select custom install, locate the partition that is not OS X, delete it. Then select it (unallocated space) format it to NTFS, install Windows there.

- Windows will automatically boots back to Windows. Install all drivers...etc.

- Now to fix the boot option

- Go to BIOS, create boot option. Browse to /EFI/Clover/Cloverx64.efi, give it a Name. Now move the Clover boot entry to top.

- Save and reboot. Now you'll see the option to boot Windows or OS X from the Clover GUI.

To fix the time in Windows, launch regedit

navigate to 

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\TimeZoneInformation]

create a DWORD (32 bit) value, name it RealTimeIsUniversal. Set the value to 1.

Exit 

Boot to OSX, then reboot to Windows. You should see time is correctly sync'd up.

Okay will do BIOS downgrade first.

One thing. I have dual booted all my laptops. I could never get it done installing OSX first. So I always install Windows first then OSX and have no trouble whatsoever regardless of whether I used Enoch or Clover (the one time I did with the Lenovo T510). Installing Windows first I never had to muck with the registry or do any special partitioning or anything. I wait till I get a bootable USB, then partition 1st partition for OSX, and second for Windows. Then turn things off. Then I install Windows to its partition. Then I install OSX to its partition. Worked every time.

Okay, I'm back. Finally got around to downgrading to A11. For some reason it wouldn't let me downgrade to A02. I had first had to do A05. No worries at least it didn't fry the machine. Once on A05 I was able to do A02, then back up to A11. Phew!

I have Windows 7 on this laptop right now. Came with it. However I am ready to wash it and only install Mac OS X

I have one ridiculous problem. Mouse will not work in BIOS. ?!?!?!?!! I guess I messed something up. I can use keyboard to navigate. Mouse pad itself is fine because it works in Windows.

I will try Clover on this one since it is Intel HD. The only time Enoch didn't work for me was with the one Intel HD laptop I used for a friend. So one question before I begin. If I don't plan on dual booting this laptop, do I need UEFI? Or does it matter either way if I leave Legacy or UEFI. I want to try get FaceTime and iMessage working on this one for first time after I'm done so don't want to mess things up at the beginning.

Sorry, stupid question. In Advanced Boot Options in BIOS I select UEFI. After that I don't see any of my devices listed. Is this correct?

I click Add Boot Option but it does not let me do anything.

So I did F12, and try to boot USB. I get 

boot0: GPT

boot0: GPT

boot0: error 

I went back to BIOS and I now see UEFI: PMAP option added. This wasn't there when I switched from Legacy to UEFI and Exited.

So I unchecked it and it went away on next boot. Of course, I still cannot boot my usb.

This is the funny part. If I don't hit F12 then laptop will still boot into Clover. EXCEPT, I don't see option to install OSX but just two options to install Windows (Windows 7 happens to be on the HD I will be wiping)

PS - I used the latest version of Clover, not the one in the guide. I presume I am supposed to always take latest version.

PPS - The only thing different I did when preparing USB stick is to rename my stick "Install OS X Sierra"

:-(