E7250 and El Capitan

m1nkeh

I still am having issues with the gfx locking up, i have absolutely no idea what i can try in order to resolve it though...

In other news, what do i need to do in order to generate a new serial for the MacBookAir7,2 SMBIOS profile?

This thread talks about the MacBookPro11,2 - can I use the same values?

Would prefer to generate something brand new in clover and not get my AppleId blocked ;)

• Moderators

There's no MBA 7.2 SMBIOS in Clover, Chameleon or Champlist so far. You'll just have to look for it from a real Mac.

As for gfx locking, it seems to run well after 3 or 4 hard reboots. But there's report the El Capitan seems to have resolve this issue.

I have install it but unable to get QE/CI on it. Can only boot without Intel injection. The patch to bypass assertion for 10.10.3 no longer works on 10.11 as well.

Anyone tried either of these as a basis for 'unlocking' the BIOS menu options?

https://github.com/the-darkvoid/XPS9530-OSX/wiki/Unlocking%20the%20BIOS

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/54523-TUTORIAL-AMI-Aptio-UEFI-Advanced-Menu-Unlock-Bonus-MSR-unlock! <- esp. this one.

might try to give it a go, seems a bit 'safer' than patching the DVMT directly...

thoughts?

• Moderators

I assumed that DVMT was set to 96MB (0x3)since Windows show 64MB of Dedicated Video Memory as per FireWolf’s guide. Well, that’s not the case for this system. I found out that it’s set to 0x1 which is 32MB. After setting it to 0x3, system booted successfully with full QE/CI without having to patch the FB binary file to pass the Stolen Memory assertion.

Here’s what you need to change the DVMT value (Done on Windows or WinPE)

1) Universal BIOS Backup ToolKit 2.0.exe - to backup the BIOS (DellInc.-A05.rom)
2) UEFITool.exe to find the module labeled SetupPrep (not Setup as per FireWolf’s guide) and extract the PE32 image section (setup.bin)
3) Universal IFR Extractor.exe to extract setup.bin to a readable text file
4) Use notepad to search for “DVMT” in the text file, 2 were found at 0x15b and 0x15c
   Both with value of 0x1 and need to be set to 0x3
5) Format a USB drive to fat32 and create a folder name EFI
6) Download the EFI Shell and extract the Boot folder to EFI folder
7) Boot system with the USB and select UEFI Boot
8) At the grub prompt, enter these commands, hit enter after each command, then exit and reboot
   setup_var 0x15b 0x3
   setup_var 0x15c 0x3
To verify, just enter setup_var 0x15b and hit enter, the value will be listed

All the tools are found in FireWolf's guide except Universal BIOS Backup Toolkit. Although you now have full QE/CI fixed, 10.10.3 will still randomly freezes. 
I'm running 10.11 beta now and seems to have resolved the freeze issue. Perhaps 10.10.4 will fix the issue too when it's out or just wait for 10.11 release.
  • Like 1

• Moderators

Ran the process through an E7250 and E7450 with BIOS A03 and A04, all with the same location and value. I think it's safe for you to just create the USB disk with the EFI boot file and set the value.

Next thing to do is to get HDMI to work.