spidey123

Anyone been experimenting with High Sierra Beta's

Hello everyone, I thought I'd create this post today to talk about High Sierra, which will be officially released on the 25th of September.  

I was wondering if anyone has had any success with the Beta's on the Dell Latitudes. 

If so, what did you find worked and what didn't?

Obviously everyone will have a better idea of things in a few weeks after it's released, but I just wanted to get an idea.

Thanks team OSXLatitude.

Obviously you'll have to update to the latest Clover (currently v4200) to get it to boot.

It introduces a new format APFS so a new Clover driver (APFS.efi) is needed to detect the HDD.

I have it installed on my E7470, E7450, and E7440. Preliminary testing so far is good, minor changes to the Sierra bootpack for it to work as well as Sierra.

A lot of kexts has been already updates to work on HS, but some needs additional patching to work as expected.

So don't jump into it if you're using your system as a primary driver unless you just want to test it. Create a secondary partition and install there if you're interested in testing.

Ok thanks Jake Lo, I think I have a spare drive that I'm going to install it on for testing.  As like you said this is my primary pc and sometimes I even have to use it at work.  The new features however and file system have gotten me excited to start testing :D

As for the new Clover driver, would that go into the same folder as the older HFSPlus.efi?

Ok I will start testing once the final version is released next week.  

Ok Ill look for the correct bootpacks and take a look at them.  

Thanks Jake Lo 

HiSie works fine on all my laptops (D630n, E6220, E6230, E6440). APFS not recommended on HDDs, only on SSDs. 'causes very slow performance on legacy HDDs. Most people will probably stay with HFS+ to begin with. Apart from that, HiSie operates like Sierra. Installation is just a little more complex with several reboots and need to boot the Recovery partition to complete installation.

Works perfectly with Enoch too. You can use the latest version too (minimum required is r2829 or r2839, can't remember).

Oh that's right Herve.  I had forgotten.  The new file system is only for SSD's.   Hmmm I guess I do with first try the normal way on a normal HDD and once I see everything works then I will put on my main SSD drive.

Ok thanks again as always.

for me updating DP9 to GM on my triple boot SSD, HS force upgraded my GUID/HFS drive to APFS. screwed my windows 10 boot.

HS does not allow me to revert it back to GUID/HFS

Ok well thats good to know.  Thx for the heads up bronxteck!!!

This won't be a problem on my Latitude because I'm only running OSX.  I have windows dual booting on my Inspiron 3542 and since I just got that one working recently on Sierra, I'm going to be leaving it alone for a while or at least till I have gotten everything up and running on the Latitude.

If you have Sierra working on the latitude now, it should continue working with the same bootpack. You just need the latest Clover and enable FixHeaders_20000000 using latest Clover Configurator. 

Oh wow, that't it Jake Lo?  I thought  for sure there would need to be more entries and extra kexts.  

Alright then I'll just get a config.plist ready and enable FixHeaders_20000000.   Thanks Jake Lo.

Ok guys, ive just backuped my system and Im downloading the install High Sierra package.   One thing I forgot to ask, do I need to add the newest FakeSMC file or can I use the one I was previously using with Sierra?  

• Our picks

• [SUCCESS] DELL LATITUDE E5440 - High Sierra 10.13.2 [UEFI]
       What Works / Does Not Work: Everything works except the built-in Intel WiFi wireless network card.
      NOTE: The NVIDIA GT 720M, specifically the external graphics card, is completely disabled (on MacOS).
      • 2 replies
    • Welcome to OSXL! We are looking for volunteers to join us!
      Welcome to OSXL! 😀

We, at OSXL, are a bunch of passionate Hackintoshers who have joined together for creating a community to drive learning, sharing and helping people interested in running Apple Mac software or tinkering with it on non-Apple hardware. We do research and development on a voluntary basis in our free time.

Since its inception in 2010, our team evolved with people joining and going for all sorts of reasons. Nevertheless, this team brought out some of the best people who contributed to making the Hackintosh community progress. Unlike some other players, we’re very proud to we have consistently offered an ad-free website without calling for financial support, except on very rare occasions, and also made one of the best looking sites.😍 

Back in the days, we also designed our "EDP" project to provide a common OS X installation package and a unified post-installation tool. EDP basically offered a central hub for system tuning. The project went through several phase and the latest one is currently Work In Progress. We also completed some research work and developed drivers, fixes and patches for some hardware.

We recently revamped our site to a more modern look and implemented latest security features so to give our members an improvise quality of experience.

Also, we are looking to expand for diversifying the content on our site not only to Apple OS, but also Linux, Android and Windows in the very near future with research and development as tech industry has changed a lot recent years and there is so much we can do in other areas and be relevant to what we do. 

We are looking for passionate and dedicated people who can invest time and efforts in our community on projects like EDP and many others. 

Drop us a line here in comments or through PM if interested so that we can chat about motivation, skills and ideas.

You can find our crew list here if you would like to PM instead: OSXL Crew

OSXL

• 0 replies