E7440: upgrade from Sierra to High Sierra

dctacsi

Hi, I just followed these steps and successfully upgraded my E7440 to High Sierra, I hope it helps. 

1. Backup your information and have a bootable USB with your current EFI configuration (Time machine is best for backups).

2. Upgrade Clover to 4233 (latest available at time of writing).
    post-108175-0-01506900-1507216895_thumb.png

3. Download apfs.efi.zip and put it in your EFI partition: /EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI/
    This will make Clover compatible with new Apple File System APFS.

4. [Recommended] Update your current sierra kexts and place them under /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/ (create the folder if it doesn't exists).
    I'm using these kexts:
    E7440 HS EFI kexts.zip

5. Edit config.plist (I recommend using Clover Configurator 4.53 or newer) and activate Fix Headers option under Acpi:post-108175-0-76551800-1506612627_thumb.png

6. Reboot Sierra and check that everything is ok, use bdmesg | grep APFS in a terminal to see if APFS driver was loaded without problems:
    bdmesg | grep APFS
    post-108175-0-55378100-1507217003_thumb.png

7. See Jake's post below if you don't want to use APFS and keep HFS+ or install on another partition.
    Download High Sierra from Mac App Store and follow instructions, the installation process will reboot your laptop a couple of times, you will also notice a new option in Clover bootloader, don't move anything there, just let it reboot and choose the boot option automatically (if you have boot timeout activated it will boot with the new auto-selected option).

8. At this point I'll assume you already have working kexts in /S/L/E or /L/E. You must rebuild cache and repair permissions, open a terminal and execute the following commands with sudo then reboot:
    sudo chmod -Rf 755 /L*/E*
    sudo chown -Rf 0:0 /L*/E*
    sudo chmod -Rf 755 /S*/L*/E*
    sudo chown -Rf 0:0 /S*/L*/E*
    sudo touch -f /L*/E*
    sudo touch -f /S*/L*/E*
    sudo kextcache -Boot -U /
  9. Note that the above commands may or may not need to be executed more than once if it fails. You will notice if any drivers are missing (I had to run them and reboot twice in order to get audio working again for example). 

Regards

• Like 4

• Moderators

Adding to Schiller's instruction:

By default upgrading HS on an SSD drive, it'll automatically convert to APFS format. If you want to keep HFS+ format, run this command instead of launching the "Install MacOS High Sierra.app"

/Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/startosinstall --converttoapfs NO

If you want to install to a different partition/drive

/Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/startosinstall --volume /Volumes/"targetdrive" --converttoapfs NO/YES

Note: Repair permission and rebuild cache if you lost audio after upgrade.

:ugeek:Fresh Install:

You can now do fresh install of High Sierra with HFS+ format with USB installer created using "createinstallmedia"

1) Make the USB installer via Terminal with "createinstallmedia"

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/"target_USB" --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app --nointeraction

Note: targe_USB = name of the USB drive you're writing to

2) Install Clover, add appropriate bootpack

3) Boot with the USB installer, start Disk Utility and initialize your SSD as an HFS+ drive

4) Open the terminal in the USB (on the menu bar click Utility>Terminal), and launch this command

/Volumes/"Image Volume"/"install macOS High Sierra.app"/Contents/Resources/startosinstall --volume /Volumes/"HighSierra" --agreetolicense --converttoapfs NO

Note: HighSierra = name of the drive you're targeting

5) System will auto reboot after files has been copied

6) Boot with USB installer, select "Boot macOS Install from HighSierra". Installation will continue installing and reboot

(Might have to do this rebooting a couple of times)

7) Boot with USB installer, finish the customization

8) Install Clover to newly installed drive, copy bootpack from USB installer to installed drive

Source: https://malcont.net/2017/09/how-to-upgrade-macos-to-high-sierra-without-filesystem-change-hfs-to-apfs/

• Like 2

Thank you very much for the description.
Unfortunately, I've been in two places.
1. In Clover Configurator i do not have FixHeaders option ... :(
Kepernyofoto2017-09-29-16.18.05.png

2. I tried to skip step 1, but when the steps of the High Sierra run and the laptop restarts, I do not know which option to choose on Clover Boot.

In fact, I choose the option I originally used to do, and in this case, it just plugs in the system or I choose the new legacy, but only the Apple logo appears indefinitely and nothing happens ... :(
Someone got an idea?

• Moderators

You're using an older version of Clover Configurator. Get the latest  Clover Configurator

You can also enable it during Clover boot by going into Options-> ACPI Patching-> DSDT fix mask [0x30000000]-> at the very bottom

But it won't save after reboot, you still have to add it to the Config.plist file

This is assuming you're on Clover v4200 minimum.

• Like 1

Very nice thanks for all the help. Everything worked perfectly, I managed to update the system.

I just got a little bit ... :(

For some reason, at the start, you see 2 mac drivers, which is a bit confusing, but both of them are ...

I tried to delete it but unfortunately did not succeed, could you help me how to delete one? (I've captured the Clover GUI interface and the Clover Configurator GUI.)

Both UUIDs for both drives ...

Thank you again for your help!

Kepernyofoto2017-09-29-21.56.49.png

screenshot2.png

screenshot3.png

screenshot4.png

screenshot5.png

Unfortunately I did not understand what you wrote, my biggest problem is that both drivers have the same UUID.

And it's not about a drive I've created, but this is done automatically when installing High Sierra ...

The other one when installing Sierra ...

Can you help me in detail how you thought about it? (Do not be angry if I'm blind ...)

• Like 1