E7270 - Can't boot High Sierra installer

ufdlim

@Hervé Yep - you're right. After replacing with a DW1830, Wi-fi worked out of the box.

The only other noticeable issue I seem to have is that the backlight control doesn't really work it. The brightness is basically 100% until you get to around the 15% mark, in which case anything less results in flickering until fully dark at around 5%. I have SSDT-PNLF.aml in EFI/ACIP/patched, the AppleBacklight patch for "change F%uT%04x to F%uTxxxx for AppleBacklightInjector.kext (credit RehabMan)", and AppleBacklightInjector.kext in L/E. I don't have IntelBacklight or ACPIBacklight anywhere. Kextcache has already been updated.

Looks like the fix might involve modifying PWMMax or EDID patching?

EDIT:  Clover detected EDID so I tried injecting product-id 0x9c7c without success.

• Moderators

Missing preboot file in you debug. Boot to Clover, press F2. Compress and attach Clover folder

Are you controlling the brightness slider with F11 and F12 by using Karabiner to reconfigure the keys?

No idea why that was the case - seemed to be missing entire clover folder too. See updated attached.

Yes, using Karabiner. Used to using F11 and F12 for Show Desktop and Dashboard, respectively. Using F5 and F6 instead. However, same effect using Karabiner and slider, 100% then blackout around 10 or 15% brightness.

Thanks for your help Jake!

debug_16936.zip

• Moderators

duplicate kexts in /E/C/k/Other and /L/E

Personally I only have these in /L/E and the rest in Clover kexts/Other

• AppleBacklightInjector
  • BrcmFirmwareRepo
  • BrcmPatchRAM2
  • DisableTurboBoostBattery

Don't forget to update permission and rebuild cache after removing the duplicates

Gave that a try without success - kept all kexts from the bootpack in E/C/k/Other and only those 4 along with the normal macOS kexts in L/E. Still stuck on full brightness. Its interesting because during the boot process I'd say the brightness is around 50% - it is not until loading the UI does it max and stay at 100%.

Doesn't look like my /EFI has a nvram.plist? Turned on hidden files as well. Tried clearing nvram with Terminal "sudo nvram -c" from single user mode. Also rebuilt cache.

I think I'll probably be resigned to having this at full brightness! Ha... 

Thanks for your help Jake!

• Moderators

Try reinstalling Clover, selecting the following settings:

• Install for UEFI booting only
  • Install Clover in the ESP
  • Drivers64UEFI\(leave the selected defaults) uncheck VBoxHfs-64
  • Drivers64UEFI\AptioMemoryFix-64
  • Drivers64UEFI\PartitionDxe-64
  • Drivers64UEFI\(Uncheck EmuVariableUefi-64, OsxAptioFixDrv-64, OsxAptioFix2Drv-64)
  • Install Clover Preference Pane 

Don't forget to select/add ApfsDriverLoader-64 if you had converted to APFS format.

Also remove/uncheck "Install RC scripts on target volume" option as it can save and load variables to nvram. The rc scripts are meant for emuvariable and legacy clover

UEFI1.png