E6420 research thread

Stork

Does anyone know if bpedman is working on VoodooPS2 still? Or planning on updating the ALPS version?

Here is a list of the working and not working, and some of the methods and kexts I used, correct me if I am wrong. (I am using Mavericks, but it should work in older versions)

Does anyone know how to fix/improve any of this?

Thanks in Advance.

Update: All we have left is the Finger Print Reader, then we are 100% supported!!!! (Protector Suite won't install, and Truesuite doesn't recognize it, it is recognized on the PCI root using system info though... No clue.)

Not Working

SD Card Reader

Express card reader

Smart Card reader

Free Fall Data Protection

Does this laptop have SpeedStep?

Finger Print Reader (Protector Suite wont install, and Truesuite doesn't recognize it, it is recognized on the PCI root using system info though... No clue.) - All that is left!!!!

Partially Working

Webcam (doesn't work in photo booth)

Trackpad (Doesn't have multi-touch, but have scrolling using E6520 Rehabman Merge kext, my version has 3 finger and 4 finger touch firing off, but all it does is beep and move from one file to another in finder, NOT ready for release, it messes up Verbose Boot, any keyboard action inserts an extra line into the boot sequence.)

eSata (is it recognized as eSata or USB?)

VGA (Output works via terminal command in post #162, but it looks kind of wavy, no auto-detection)

HDMI (Video output works using the guide JakeLo refered in post # 163, Audio output works using the terminal command in post #162, but no auto detection)

Network Switch (If off at boot, reboot required to re-activate, if turned off post-boot it does nothing until reboot... No clue how to fix.)

Untested

Network Switch (Untested)

Docking Port (Untested)

Working

WiFi (Change for Athertos AR9281, recognized as native Airport Extreme oob)

Sleep and Deep Sleep (working by using hibernate mode=0, auto invokes)

Keyboard (We take this for granted)

USB

Bluetooth (Worked OOTB)

App Store and iMessage (via the iMessage dylb fix)

Screen Brightness (Keyboard shortcuts require (KeyboardRemapper4Macbook)

Battery Percentage (VoodooBattery kext)

Boots Flagless (We are lucky)

Display and Screen Resolution

Audio without VoodooHDA! (Place DTDT.aml and SDTD.aml in /E and install Sound Flower and VoodooLoader, but then drag the Voodoo Loader.App to the trash can and set it to not open at startup, install Jake Lo's patched AppleHDA, congrats, your audio now works and the side buttons work!)

Audio buttons and audio control (above method)

VGA (AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext patch)

HDMI (AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext patch)

HDMI Audio (DSDT Patch)

QE/CI (OOB)

Network Switch (DSDT Patch)

Edits for Working

SD card reader! (VoodooSDHC in post below)

Docking Port (working oob)

eSata (recognized as external hard drive oob)

FreeFall Data Protection (I set it on my powerful box fan and the hard drive stopped, no clue if we can turn it off.)

Smart Card reader (worked oob)

Express Card reader (worked using ID card reader software, Software has no name)

Trackpad (Multitouch working through VoodooPS2 below, follow install instructions for voodooPS2 on rehabman's github)

Webcam (In photo booth through iGlasses.app)

Edited by npjohnson

• Moderators

Hello, 

Could someone please help me patch my DSDT for HDMI output? (I have an Intel 3000)

When I try to recompile it I get strange errors.

Thank you,

Npjohnson

Are you trying to enable HDMI Video or Audio?

For Video, the link I provided above is to patch AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB. DSDT edit to enable HDMI Audio.

Please attach your DSDT file here.

• Moderators

I will get it posted when I get home today, thanks. The DSDT edit it said to look for GFX0 or IGPU with the certain device address, and I found the address, but its device ID is "_VID". What does that mean?

They are the same thing basically. I have it on the same device. Here's mine.

Scope (_SB.PCI0)
    {
        Device (VID)
        {
            Name (_ADR, 0x00020000)
            Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
            {
                Store (Package (0x0A)
                    {
                        "AAPL00,DualLink", 
                        Buffer (0x04)
                        {
                             0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
                        }, 

"device-id", 
                        Buffer (0x04)
                        {
                             0x26, 0x01, 0x00, 0x00
                        }, 

"model", 
                        Buffer (0x18)
                        {
                            "Intel HD Graphics 3000"
                        }, 

"AAPL,snb-platform-id", 
                        Buffer (0x04)
                        {
                             0x00, 0x00, 0x01, 0x00
                        }, 

"hda-gfx", 
                        Buffer (0x0A)
                        {
                            "onboard-1"
                        }
                    }, Local0)
                DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
                Return (Local0)
            }

@Jake Lo,

This contains my SSDT and my DSDT, as well as my AppleIntelSNBGraphics.kext, when I try to patch the kext, after install, it says that it is unusable. Could you help me patch it as well as my DSDT?

Also, what exactly is an SSDT?

Also as we briefly discussed on the E6410 SD forum, I am trying to patch the VoodooSDHC.kext for this model, but should I use the newer project VoodooSDHCI.kext instead?

Next, as Protector Suite does not work on this laptop, are there any other programs/kexts that anyone has found that enable it (or might enable it  :-P ).

Oh, and just a small bug, but the Web cam doesn't work in photo booth, fine in face time and camera control, but no luck in photo booth, anyone know of a fix?

After this, all that is left is multitouch and this laptop will be fully functional.

On the topic of multitouch, I have the finger z thing fixed, and better scrolling, and am working on implementing some other stuff... Should be done really soon.

Thank you.

DSDT and SSDT.zip

• Moderators

@Jake Lo,

This contains my SSDT and my DSDT, as well as my AppleIntelSNBGraphics.kext, when I try to patch the kext, after install, it says that it is unusable. Could you help me patch it as well as my DSDT?

Also, what exactly is an SSDT?

Also as we briefly discussed on the E6410 SD forum, I am trying to patch the VoodooSDHC.kext for this model, but should I use the newer project VoodooSDHCI.kext instead?

Next, as Protector Suite does not work on this laptop, are there any other programs/kexts that anyone has found that enable it (or might enable it  :-P ).

Oh, and just a small bug, but the Web cam doesn't work in photo booth, fine in face time and camera control, but no luck in photo booth, anyone know of a fix?

After this, all that is left is multitouch and this laptop will be fully functional.

On the topic of multitouch, I have the finger z thing fixed, and better scrolling, and am working on implementing some other stuff... Should be done really soon.

Thank you.

This is what I'm currently using on my E6420. PhotoBooth, HDMI video+Audio are working. Don't know protector suite, is that for the figure sensor? My system don't have that and I'm able to find a working app for it on the models that does have it.

What version of voodooSDHCI do you have?

npjohnson.zip

By the way, what's the resolution of your display?

If it's greater than 1366x768, don't use my DSDT. I'll upload an different if that's the case.

This is what I'm currently using on my E6420. PhotoBooth, HDMI video+Audio are working. Don't know protector suite, is that for the figure sensor? My system don't have that and I'm able to find a working app for it on the models that does have it.

What version of voodooSDHCI do you have?

attachicon.gifnpjohnson.zip

By the way, what's the resolution of your display?

If it's greater than 1366x768, don't use my DSDT. I'll upload an different if that's the case.

Thank you. Do you have the model with NVidia? I have Intel 3000 only 1366x768x32, the SNB Kext didn't give me HDMI Video out, and after installing the DSDT, the system seemed sluggish? It was very strange, multiple reboots later, it still seems slow, and the graphics like Launchpad are glitchy. I installed it using Kext beast, is that ok?

Also @all this is a modified version of VoodooSDHC that Jake Lo helped me figure out how to edit, it get SD reader and eject working.

VoodooSDHC.kext.zip

• Moderators

Thank you. Do you have the model with NVidia? I have Intel 3000 only 1366x768x32, the SNB Kext didn't give me HDMI Video out, and after installing the DSDT, the system seemed sluggish? It was very strange, multiple reboots later, it still seems slow, and the graphics like Launchpad are glitchy. I installed it using Kext beast, is that ok?

Also @all this is a modified version of VoodooSDHC that Jake Lo helped me figure out how to edit, it get SD reader and eject working.

No, only HD3000. Do you have the SNB in E/E as well? If you install with kextbeast, it might put it in SLE replacing the non-modded version. Assuming you build using myHack method, don't mix myfix and another kextwizard. Just mod files and put in E/E, run myHack/myfix (quick). That way, no files in SLE are touched. 

Ok... that makes sense, will try E/E when I get home. ok. If a kext works well, is it ok to install it to /S/L/E/?

Also just fun. I made an extensions Alias and Placed a folder called "s" that contains a folder called "l" and then the alias renamed "e" so I don't have to type out /system/library/extensions/, just /s/l/e/.