E6420 research thread

Stork

I had to zip both files as the site wouldn't let me upload them as is. Hopefully the zip doesn't impact you being able to open the files.

I ended up wiping the machine and putting Maverick back on as some thing had gotten screwed up as I was playing around trying to make Yosemite work. As usual, I know just enough to get myself in trouble. But interestingly, the wifi isn't working. I think at some point, I may have overwritten the working wifi file. I hope that isn't a problem. Both files were generated from within Maverick.

The processor is i5-2520M, graphics HD3000 resolution 1600 x 900.

The wifi card is Atheros AR5B95, Device ID 0x00027, Vendor ID 0x168C.

Thanks again for all your help.

dsdt.zip

MacBook Pro.zip

• Administrators

The device reported in IOReg is 168c/002b, i.e. what I was expecting for an AR5B95 card, but I'm not seeing 168c/0027 at all. Anyway, it should be all ok now with the patch inserted by Jake.

I feel like I'm being a pain, but I'm still facing the unable to find the mach_kernel issue. I have found the suggested solution here:

https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/7413-cant-findsystemlibrarykernelskernel/

Seems you're having trouble as a results of a couple of typos: it's not /System/LibraryKernels/Kernel, it's /System/Library/Kernels/kernel. Exact syntax is of outmost importance...

/mach_kernel does not exist any more in Yosemite (unlike earlier OS X versions), so if you want Chameleon to use that, simply copy the kernel (specified in above green path) to your partition's root and under the legacy name. You can either do copy/paste + file renaming through the UI or use Terminal command sudo cp /System/Library/Kernels/kernel /mach_kernel.

But what I don't know is if I can do this from the Terminal after upgrading to Yosemite via the usb stick, and if so, what the full command would be. I know the name of the partitions for both my hard drive and for the usb if that is helpful.

AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement panic

installed the NullCPUpowerManagement no diff

move/remove AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement  no diff

I'm trying the clover method but may have to go to the well known Chameleon but where is the bootpack 

for the D6420?

D6420 4G 320HD, BIOS A17, it did it with the old A08 too, actually my mavericks stick which works beautifully on a D630 

also had a similar message.

Thanks

I tried to get that but it seems like it has to be run on the machine?? if I cannot boot how can I get to that??

So I dropped the Clover & went the Chameleon way used the bootpack for the D6220 as there isn't one for the D6420 and I made more progress no matter what I tried it wouldn't boot it'll get to the Logo/progress bar and then beach ball I even left it overnight and nothing. Searching on the net  there was a suggestion to use  -v kext-dev-mode=1 dart=0 and aleluya it booted when it got to the point where it asks for the initial options kbd/mouse were unresponsive plugged USB kbd/mouse and cool it installed, it wouldn't boot from HDD installed Chameleon added Extra to the root and with -v dart=0 it boots, sound/wifi do not work , kbd/mouse still the external one what'd be the hint to get the mouse/kbd going???

I tried to use the DSDT from the Clover set and it messed it up.

Edit: The last step above corrupted my USB, redid it using the D6220 extra, ran the kextwizard to make sure permissions were fine and with the switches above got thru and it booted to initial install. Wifi doesn't work everything else seems there, will try the broadcom kext , the battery status doesn't show. My latest issues is booting from the HD it pops a message about it went to sleep encrypted??? but it does boot. It comes up on 10.10

I almost got this one, I ordered  the BMC 4322 so should take care of wifi, machine runs faster than my trusty D630 w/Mavericks which has served me very well and the machine is tough I dropped it several times but it keeps going and going

- sleep was working before upgrading to 10.10.1 ,  

- battery status never worked

those look like minor thingies but I'd like to have it all working

How could I go about solving this, I tried the Voodoobattery, but it made no difference it seems to me like they are related, if I go to Sysytem Prefrences>Energy Saver I cannot get the battery status to stick and cannot set when to sleep when under Battery.There was a Extra 6420 on this thread but that one blew up the whole thing.

Edit: Is the E6420 with the i5-2520M actually supported???, I redid using the Exx20 bootpack from the Chameleon based guide, but cannot regenerate the SSDT keeps saying wrong board-id nobody else seems to have the board id it pulls and when I try without an ssdt it goes thru the intilial loading then the screen goes blank , I tried to edit the sh file but sameness. My cumbersome method gets it with the errors above and the BMC4322 doesn't work, 10.10.2 messed up the ethernet.