E6420 research thread

Stork

Thanks Wern, this DSDT solved problem with LVDS.

OK, after creating SSDT I rebooted the laptop. After reboot I instantly got Kernel Panic with information:

Kernel Extensions in backtrace:

com.apple.driver.AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement

Currently system is booting only in Safe Mode. Do you have an idea what could cause this KP?

Thanks everyone for help. Unfortunately, no matter what I do, it simply won't work... After last reinstall, not even OSX wants to boot, it always display information about missing kernel. If I continue pressing Enter, after 20 or more times, it finally start to boot, only to display Kernel Panic...

When I think about it, after first installation everything was working as is written in guide. After first boot system freeze at user generation and after reset, it wasn't able to display video on LVDS. Thanks to Wern's DSDT, I was able to use LVDS again, but after Kext installation and rebuild cache, I got Kernel Panic about every installed Kext. After few formats and reinstalls, system stopped to boot at all. I also recreated USB Disk for several times, but it didn't helped.

The thing what was different after first format, was selectable partitions in Chameleon. Before was USB, OSX and Recovery, but after format, Recovery partition was no longer displayed after installation. Moreover, If I select first OSX (Kernel missing information was displayed), then Installer in Chameleon, system will boot in Safe Mode (yes, that's really wrong).

I guess only EFI partitions are left to check, but I probably won't be able to do it till Friday.

Sounds like the symptom where you HDD is shown as RAID (coreStorage) and will need to be revert to normal drive. See fix here.

It was, thanks. Right now, I'm now posting from Yosemite 10.10.3. I had also problem with 'boot0: error', but thanks to guide, I was able to solve it. And there is still one problem tough - no sound. For some reason sound card is disabled. Fn are working, but volume is always disabled. I updated kexts, but it didn't help. Maybe do you have an idea what could be wrong?

• Moderators

Wern's DSDT has audio layout-id set to 0, you need it to be set to 12. Use MacIASL.app to open DSDT.aml, search for "layout-id"

Change this 

"layout-id",                             
Buffer (0x04)
{
     0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00                         
}, 

to this

"layout-id",                             
Buffer (0x04)
{
     0x0C, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00                         
}, 

I love the Internet when it comes to help and research. I acquired an older Latitude E6420 with bios A08 and attempted the install a few days ago. My issue is com.apple.driver.AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement KPs when I attempt to install. The point of KP is not always the same, depends on which boot flags I used (cpus=1 or the like). Any ideas?

I remember power management was always a pain, but my last install was 2008 so I am rusty. The laptop has a a i5 2520 proc.