Dell Latitude D430 Thread

Zeppo

And how about a factory reset of bios before going any further or has that been tried already?

One of the things I did after I installed OS X and had KP booting from the HD.

I was running Win7 before and didn't really remember if I was messing around with BIOS settings.

Busy days. I didn't have time to tinker around. And I am leaving for a short weekend trip with my family in a few hours.

However, with all I experienced so far, I'll go with new A09 as a next step. But I am somewhat skeptical. Whatever I tried, the problems remain. Also, I randomly lose my sound, although I didn't make any changes on my stick. Sleep doesn't work properly, whenever I put the machine into sleep mode, it follows, goes down and restart immediately with master password screen.

As I said, I didn't find anything which would explain this weird behavior. I feel I'll end up trying CRC BIOS for my machine.

Thanks for asking.

Zep

Busy days. I didn't have time to tinker around. And I am leaving for a short weekend trip with my family in a few hours.

However, with all I experienced so far, I'll go with new A09 as a next step. But I am somewhat skeptical. Whatever I tried, the problems remain. Also, I randomly lose my sound, although I didn't make any changes on my stick. Sleep doesn't work properly, whenever I put the machine into sleep mode, it follows, goes down and restart immediately with master password screen.

As I said, I didn't find anything which would explain this weird behavior. I feel I'll end up trying CRC BIOS for my machine.

Thanks for asking.

Zep

For sleep have you followed the terminal commands and also run the edptool to disable hibernation?

Edptool - option 2 and then option 2. I also did the touch S/L/E, and fix console slow start (options 1 and 3).

http://www.osxlatitude.com/groups/d4xosx/wiki/c1196/Getting_sleep_to_work_on_your_Dell_Latitude_with_OSX.html

http://www.osxlatitude.com/groups/d4xosx/wiki/900e4/How_to_do_a_new_build.html (remember to type in sudo su 1st and then enter your password).

edit: okay went and looked at your bios settings. A few differences mostly because I don't have the modem or Bluetooth. These are how the settings are on mine.

Everything else is the same except for what's listed below.

Integrated NEC – enabled (no pxe)

Internal modem – off

Parallel port – off

Serial port – off

Pcard and 1394 – off

Primary video – onboard video

Password change – denied

Usb wake support – off

Bluetooth – off

Internal cellular – off

Wireless switch - WIFI only

Set them like this and if it works fine then change them 1 by 1 and see where the problem is?

For sleep have you followed the terminal commands and also run the edptool to disable hibernation?

Edptool - option 2 and then option 2. I also did the touch S/L/E, and fix console slow start (options 1 and 3).

Well, my working USB configuration includes Apple's power management.

If I go and run this terminal command or edptool option2/option 2, here is what I get in both cases:

"Error 0xe00002bc writing customized power profiles to disk"

Now, if I choose power pack (option 1 within power management section in edptool, kext configuration) I end up with a KP from HD and from stick. KP is defined as mismatch between CPU und PM (I presume PM means power management). Same stage KPU in both cases.

Tried as far as I could. As written above: I cannot disable or change the hibernation settings.

edit: okay went and looked at your bios settings. A few differences mostly because I don't have the modem or Bluetooth. These are how the settings are on mine.

Everything else is the same except for what's listed below.

Integrated NEC – enabled (no pxe)

Internal modem – off

Parallel port – off

Serial port – off

Pcard and 1394 – off

Primary video – onboard video

Password change – denied

Usb wake support – off

Bluetooth – off

Internal cellular – off

Wireless switch - WIFI only

Set them like this and if it works fine then change them 1 by 1 and see where the problem is?

OK, I did. I run my known working config from USB stick. It works fine but my battery is still not recognized. If I run my USB config unchanged from disk, it ends up in KP.

I run a complete new config using edptool. VoodooPS2, Apple PM and no PCMCIA - fine with USB, KP from HD. If I choose VodooPS2, PowerPack and no PCMCIA - KP from both devices.

It seams to me that there is an issue with power management. But how to solve it?

PS

I couldn't replace my BIOS A09 against a new version. Dell let's me download a file D430_A09.EXE, which is apparently a Dell's Windows flash tool, which updates the BIOS. However, since I don't run Windows anymore - though luck.

Well, my working USB configuration includes Apple's power management.

If I go and run this terminal command or edptool option2/option 2, here is what I get in both cases:

"Error 0xe00002bc writing customized power profiles to disk"

Now, if I choose power pack (option 1 within power management section in edptool, kext configuration) I end up with a KP from HD and from stick. KP is defined as mismatch between CPU und PM (I presume PM means power management). Same stage KPU in both cases.

Tried as far as I could. As written above: I cannot disable or change the hibernation settings.

OK, I did. I run my known working config from USB stick. It works fine but my battery is still not recognized. If I run my USB config unchanged from disk, it ends up in KP.

I run a complete new config using edptool. VoodooPS2, Apple PM and no PCMCIA - fine with USB, KP from HD. If I choose VodooPS2, PowerPack and no PCMCIA - KP from both devices.

It seams to me that there is an issue with power management. But how to solve it?

PS

I couldn't replace my BIOS A09 against a new version. Dell let's me download a file D430_A09.EXE, which is apparently a Dell's Windows flash tool, which updates the BIOS. However, since I don't run Windows anymore - though luck.

This is odd. I know powerpack gives me a kernal panic from both USB and HD (and then I must install fresh) so I'm using apple PM as well. Have all your KP from HD been related to power management? I do get random kp at boot but I just shut it off and then reboot and it works fine.

You also get KP from apple power management? If I had to guess there's something wrong happening when you apply the edptool options. I'm going to list my steps below.

Do a fresh install. Once in OS X install the bootloader. Once bootloader is installed delete the extra folder it created in the root drive. Copy the extra folder from the edptool 1.6 to the root of the HD. Run edptool. sudo su - password cd /Extra ./edptool.command - here is what you should see.

Submenu - 1 (kext configuration)

Scroll up and you'll see D420/430 - choose that - 0

ps2 controller - 1 (for the time being - voodoo sometimes causes KP so just being cautious)

power pack driver - no - n

pcmcia driver - no - n

once finished type exit and close terminal. restart. hopefully it works. You have the same d430 as leon and myself. 1.33ghz and 2gb. not sure why your computer is acting up.

I know these steps are well documented but there is a disconnect with the HD and USB. USB works but HD doesn't and the only difference is the edptool is being used on the HD.