Dell Latitude D430 Thread

Zeppo

try renaming *.exe to *.zip and see if it opens the executable as a zip file then maybe you can get acess to the bin or rom file

ok forget that... i guess that works in windows

:)

I had the same idea and I tried this using my Paralles Win7 VM. "invalid archive file" is all I've got.

Apparently this really is an app with BIOS embedded.

I was also looking in BIOS and haven't found a way to update BIOS from within BIOS. Also, CRC (in this thread) was talking about "flashing BIOS from DOS". So, that's the path, I suppose. Or from Windows live CD or stick.

:)

I had the same idea and I tried this using my Paralles Win7 VM. "invalid archive file" is all I've got.

Apparently this really is an app with BIOS embedded.

I was also looking in BIOS and haven't found a way to update BIOS from within BIOS. Also, CRC (in this thread) was talking about "flashing BIOS from DOS". So, that's the path, I suppose. Or from Windows live CD or stick.

Yeah just create a bootable dos usb.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/46707-ms-dos-bootable-flash-drive-create.html

Run the BIOS update utility from DOS environment (Non-Windows users)

NOTE: You will need to provide a bootable DOS diskette. This executable file does not create the DOS system files.

Copy the file D430_A09.EXE to a bootable floppy.

Boot from the floppy to the DOS prompt.

Run the file by typing Y:\D430_A09.EXE (where y is the drive letter where the executable is located).

Status as of today, 1pm:

- Overwrote A09 BIOS with an A09 freshly downloaded from DELL support page

- Booting from HD ends up in an KP

- Booting into 10.6.6 from stick with no issues (both times using the same /Extra folder with identical configuration)

- When running 10.6.6 I still do not have access to my battery status, simply not recognized (original part which came with the laptop)

- sleep still doesn't work (both, out of the menue or closing the lid initiates but it ends up on my system password screen)

- if I try to setup sleep like defined here, I get this error ("Error 0xe00002bc writing customized power profiles to disk")

- I tried both methods to change hibernation setup, manually running terminal and running the edptool (Fixes, option 2)

That's what I have. Now, the only option I see is to go with CRC's modified D430 BIOS. However, before I do that, does anyone have any other idea or sees what I have missed to do?

Anyone using CRC's modified BIOS: any issues I should be avare of? Hints, tips, tricks?

Thanks!

quote from wiki:

Step 2) - Configuring BIOS

Set a system password in bios it FORCES laptop screen to WAKE to input password :)

so if it's prompting for a password when "waking from sleep" then it is working correctly.

I would gladly recognize this as "sleep", if the machine would be sleeping for at least a second. But it writes down the RAM image, turns down all devices, screen goes black and - not even a second later - bang, I have my password screen, drive run at high speed and all devices are on again. Helluva short sleep. :(

disable "wake on usb"

You mean in BIOS? It's off. I didn't found any other switch in Power Settings pref pane.

BTW: are you still running your D430 without DSDT and the with /Extra folder like you posted (plists, kext and such)? I don't know if I somehow misunderstood this. According to your post in D430 BIOS thread you don't use the DSDT but in the /Extra folder there was one.

BTW2: are you running your OSX in 32bit or 64bit mode?

THX!