Dell D630 Mountain Lion Install Guide

seb43654

Hi,

I have just installed ML on a nvidia D630 following the steps of the guide but... When I restart I get the boot:0 error.  If I boot off the USB stick, select my HDD that I installed ML on it boots and I can even install the EDP but this does not fix the boot issue.  If I reboot into the installer, run myHack, install Chamelion I get a Error: Could not find valid partition table on device /dev/disk0  error.  I have installed on a 500GB WD & Seagate HDD, tried both GUID and MBR partition tables.  I have also tried to recreate the install USB a few times and the ML install files were freshly downloaded off the app store.  myHack version 3.2 beta 8.  It just seems like chameleon does not want to be installed on my ML HDD.

Any help will be appreciated as I am so close but yet so far...

• Administrators

When you're booted in Mac OS, try to download a new Chameleon package off the Net and install it. Alternatively, install Chameleon Wizard and try to update your HDD Chameleon to any version between v2248 and v2255 (these are known to work Ok on the laptop).

Failing that, do a search on the forum about boot:0 error or 4k sector, you'll find a detailed procedure to fix 4k sector issues that can be encountered with newer HDDs. I just can't remember where it is off hand.

Please note that you really should use GPT/GUID partitioning on your HDDs.

When you're booted in Mac OS, try to download a new Chameleon package off the Net and install it. Alternatively, install Chameleon Wizard and try to update your HDD Chameleon to any version between v2248 and v2255 (these are known to work Ok on the laptop).

Failing that, do a search on the forum about boot:0 error or 4k sector, you'll find a detailed procedure to fix 4k sector issues that can be encountered with newer HDDs. I just can't remember where it is off hand.

Please note that you really should use GPT/GUID partitioning on your HDDs.

This fixed it! Installed Chamelion Wizard and Updated to v2255!

Thank you, you guys are great!

New forum user just dropped in to say thanks!  I am typing on osx mt lion on my latitude right now.

I do have a couple issues if anyone cares to try to trouble shoot with me:

1.  no audio

2.  Wont show battery icon at top either (I click radio button and it removes my check)

3.  After I followed these instructions and updated the info with the newest EDP and I rebooted my machine I'd get to chamelon and it couldn't find disk. (I did the fix disk option too - followed the tutorial to a T).  Only after I went back into my boot drive and recopied the extras folder contained within that boot drive did it allow me (or another version of chameleon - the installer version [sorry not too technical]) to boot back into my latitude.

4.  No webcam

I'm curious as to possible fixes.

Also, just a note - if one downloads the keyboard/mouse kexts and puts them in the extras folder prior to loading the extras folder on the install disk then one doesn't need a usb keyboard/mouse -  at least I didn't.  Whenever the program installed my custom extras folder it installed those kexts and I bypassed the need for extra hardware

Installing EDP does nothing until you actually complete the System Build... Please read the EDP pages at the top of your screen. You'll find all the documentation you need.

I read the pre installation, installation, and post installation and FAQ - though there isn't any FAQ yet?

Regardless, I followed the EDP build for this laptop specifically and went through the process of waiting for it to compile/install and then I did the myfix after that and tried to reboot and new version of the chameleon boot-loader that this EDP gave me couldn't find my kernel.  I tried several times (the whole process).  

I just find it odd that the older version of chameleon (the one included with the myhack install process) would work but the newer chameleon just hangs.  It cannot find anything.  No -v no nothing.

I guess you're doing something the wrong way, because when you run EDP to do your System Build, default settings for D630 (Intel or nVidia graphics) provide kexts for audio, battery, etc. by default.

Sorry, I guess I'm not being the clearest.  When I did the EDP  I got the battery/audio working.  However, when I would reboot - chameleon couldn't find my kernel - so I had to revert to the extras in the install folder to get me back into the machine.

Once I got back into the machine the audio/etc... no longer worked.

• Administrators

That's normal: the bootpack (what you reverted to) only provides essentials and that does not include audio or battery kexts. Now that you're back on the machine, install Chameleon Wizard (update to latest version 4.2.x if offered to do so) and then install Chameleon v2248 or later through Install tab.

You should then be able to redo your EDP System Build and reboot safely.