E6410 with nVidia NVS 3100M graphics - Mountain Lion Guide

v3ct0r

I now have a running 10.8.4 system with everything working.

I initially had the Intel HD motherboard and couldn't resolve my graphics issues (artifcacts; no flash etc.). I replaced the motherboard with an Nvidia GPU'ed board and everything is groovy now.

However; I'm getting bad headaches from using the system (I use it for work - so typically 8 hours a day).

I have:

WXGA+ LCD screen

Nvidia GPU

1440x900 @ 60Hz

I suspect the issue is related to LCD font smoothing /anti-aliasing.

I've tried several options for:

defaults -currentHost write -globalDomain AppleFontSmoothing -int 2

but none seem to help.

Is anybody else having this problem. I know it's somewhat personal preference but if anyone can offer some advice.

After all this work; I really would like to be able to use this system on a daily basis but after an hour of work my eyes really start to hurt.

Thanks!

Hey ladsjohn,

What specifically gives you a headache? Pictures are useful here ;-). Also, try f.lux. cures my brightness-related headaches sometimes...

I can't put my finger what it is. The fonts in general seem a little fuzzy. But still readable.

I'm not sure that I could capture it in a screenshot.

I just installed f.lux now. I'll see how that goes. Thanks!

Laptop is running great,  but it seems that ML is running a little hotter than 7 was.  Is this the common understanding?  I know that on my Desktop OSX ran cooler than Win 7 but that is a completely different setup (Win 7 is a power hogger on that machine that is also gaming).  I removed the nullcpumanagement.kext / may never have even installed it because I knew I wouldn't need it.  

Some earlier posts were suspecting it to be gpu related -- but it most definitely hottest under the CPU fan, and especially after charging or running for a few hours.  

Really this isn't even a big deal since I just bring it to and from work everyday and then it's off to conserve battery in the car / travel.  But I am curious if anyone has found a solid fix.  

Ladsjohn - Wish I could help you identify what is hurting you're eyes.  I can tell you that the reason I bought an e6410 in the first place was for the beautiful screen (however, what really made me buy was 10.8 capability for the price).  I am an IT guy and we deployed a few of these monster with win7 and nvidia cards and I can tell you that they look SO much better with Nvidia than intel.  I have a feeling your eyes are still adjusting to the new quality of display.

Yes, the current conclusion is that OS X runs hotter on our machines than Windows. I too have noticed the fan gets hot and not so much the CPU/GPU...

We believe it is the Speed Stepping (or the lack thereof) which relates to the DSDT and other kexts (like nullcpumanagement).

No solid fix as of yet.

I can't put my finger what it is. The fonts in general seem a little fuzzy. But still readable.

I'm not sure that I could capture it in a screenshot.

I just installed f.lux now. I'll see how that goes. Thanks!

Screenshots will most likely not capture the "fuzziness", however a camera may...

Also, does this "fuzziness" appear in Windows/the BIOS/anywhere else as well?

Screenshots will most likely not capture the "fuzziness", however a camera may...

Also, does this "fuzziness" appear in Windows/the BIOS/anywhere else as well?

I've had this system for over 2 years. Used to run Win7 on it, then Solaris for the past year.

No issues with fuzziness etc. and no sore eyes.

I'm putting it down to Mac's anti-aliasing, font smoothing etc.

I've switched most fonts over to Verdana and it seems to help but overall I think my eyes need to adjust to Mac OS rather than anything else.

In system preferences, head over to displays, and hold down the windows key or alt key (forgot which one) and you'll see a "Detect Displays" button in the bottom right of the window pop out of nowhere. Hit it and enjoy :-)