E6410 with nVidia NVS 3100M graphics - Mountain Lion Guide

v3ct0r

Don't mean to double post but I STILL cannot get the damn VGA to work.  Have tried multiple bios settings with multiple monitors.  The biggest variable I see (considering we are all following the same guide here) is my wifi dongle.  I am expecting my Dell wifi card today or tomorrow in the mail and will try again with a new card in (but I highly doubt that will be the issue).  Does anyone have ANY ideas what else it could be?  I would prefer not to have to lug a dock with me in order to use an external monitor.  

I know some of you got it working -- TELL ME HOW :P

Again: A15 bios, Cham 2.1, Nvidia GFX card, and followed this guide exactly.  Earlier a poster said to try installing without the non-release specific ML zip -- The Kexts in there are not directly graphics related but may play a part?  Any input / ideas / tips would be GREATLY appreciated.  Thanks again everyone :)

Hello all,

Though I can't say much about how to get VGA working, I can say that as far as the zips are concerned, alll the graphics-related kexts in them HAVE NOT changed since the I itial release. Only additions/modifications to disk/pci specific kexts have been made. Could it be one of the pci kexts? Also, for those of you that have it working, what version of OS X are you on? I believe apple added/changed support for nvidia video cards in 10.8.4 which could have inadvertently changed our configuration.

Lastly, I am not sure at the moment if my VGA is working but will yes ASAP on Monday and report back. So far, I have had success using an eternal monitor with the full size dock and DVI.

Thanks for the info -- I am on 10.8.3 (should've mentioned that ><)  and I agree the only kext in that zip that would have affected VGA use is the PCI kext.  However I don't want to test too much unless I can have someone that has full functionality helping :)

On a side note, just installed my 1510 card and works like a charm!

PS - Your comment is making me consider upgrading to 10.8.4, anything I should be aware of when upgrading?  (If not in the OP?)  I have upgrading my desktop workstation from 10.8.0 - 10.8.3 but using different post installation utilities -- I know things like sounds kexts usually get reset to apple.  

Edit - You said you removed the Original PCI kext correct? If so can you upload it?

Another double post (sorry) -- But something important to share.  I still can not seem to get onboard VGA port to work, however at microcenter I picked up a Cirago Displayport to DVI adapter and worked fine from the first test.  Didn't even need to detect displays it just booted in extended mode with the external as the lead monitor.  Also it only cost $15 so well worth the money, would still like to get onboard VGA working so I don't have to carry this dongle everywhere, but a much better solution in comparison to lugging around a docking station :D

Edit - this is the link to the item, guess I missed on the $5 discount lol 

http://www.microcenter.com/product/367684/DisplayPort_to_DVI_Single_Link_Adapter

Just a heads up to everyone, 10.8.5 was just released tonight...

I just upgraded. The installer failed at the very end but a reboot shows everything up to date.

My wifi stopped working but re-replacing airportd in /usr/libexec fixed that.

In fact; I'm guessing the installer failed because my wifi stopped working during the (as a consequence of) the upgrade.

So upgrading while hard-wired might be best.

I tested my VGA port yesterday while running A12, 10.8.4.

Pressing Fn-F8 while at the chimera (chameleon, stolen and rebranded) boot loader successfully moves my display to the VGA port.

I can then boot and have my display work as expected.

However, trying to switch between LCD and VGA while booted into MacOS causes my system to hang.

Which is fine for me. I don't use VGA a whole lot (other than the dock).

I just upgraded. The installer failed at the very end but a reboot shows everything up to date.

My wifi stopped working but re-replacing airportd in /usr/libexec fixed that.

In fact; I'm guessing the installer failed because my wifi stopped working during the (as a consequence of) the upgrade.

So upgrading while hard-wired might be best.

The fact that your Wi-Fi dies during the upgrade means the install is working/worked. Apple improved Wi-Fi on the macs in this update but broke it on our hacs ;-)

• Like 1

Patel -- don't worry about it, you have helped more than enough so far :)  my temporary fix is cheap and solid.

Ladsjohn -- thanks for the input, I will try switching to VGA before ML boots up and see if I get anywhere, if not I bet an upgrade to 10.8.4 will do the trick. 

Keep us up to date with the update (no pun intended) -- would like to try to update to 10.8.5 if I have to update to 10.8.4 but don't want to break my system doing it.  

Also I just picked up a Crucial m4 128gb from microcenter for 89$ great deal and see a decent decrease in boot time / read speeds when opening apps.  I would like to know any tips to optimizing boot time on an SSD if anyone has any.  (TRIM is enabled)