E6410 with nVidia NVS 3100M graphics - Mountain Lion Guide

v3ct0r

patel4prez, thanks a lot for your support, this is definitely the best tutorial I've seen for this model.

After being extremely patient, I was finally able to setup OSX 10.8 in my e6410; I have Bluetooth, LAN, Camera, Sound, Trackpad (with two-finger scroll) working, but I'm still having some issues though:

My Intel Graphics are looking good, but it's not performing adequately, my resolution is fine but the transitions are slow and sluggish, videos play slow and launchpad freezes for a couple of second then works. I also saw that in system information the graphics are listed as unknown with no Kexts loaded, see screenshots.

Also my WiFi is not working.

I tried both suggested methods in OP to fix both devices but it's still not working. Any ideas what could be wrong?

These are my graphic card properties:

post-47092-0-79083300-1383080589_thumb.png

This is my system:

post-47092-0-36752800-1383080591_thumb.png

This are my wifi card properties:

post-47092-0-53806700-1383080594_thumb.png

Thanks!

• Moderators

patel4prez, thanks a lot for your support, this is definitely the best tutorial I've seen for this model.

After being extremely patient, I was finally able to setup OSX 10.8 in my e6410; I have Bluetooth, LAN, Camera, Sound, Trackpad (with two-finger scroll) working, but I'm still having some issues though:

My Intel Graphics are looking good, but it's not performing adequately, my resolution is fine but the transitions are slow and sluggish, videos play slow and launchpad freezes for a couple of second then works. I also saw that in system information the graphics are listed as unknown with no Kexts loaded, see screenshots.

Also my WiFi is not working.

I tried both suggested methods in OP to fix both devices but it's still not working. Any ideas what could be wrong?

These are my graphic card properties:

attachicon.gifGraphic Card properties.png

This is my system:

attachicon.gifSystem Properties.png

This are my wifi card properties:

attachicon.gifWifi card properties.png

Thanks!

Intel Centrino Wireless is not supportedl, you'll need to replace with a supported card found here.

Your E6410 does't have an NVidia card, it has the 1st generation Intel HD graphics card. At most you could get Core Image, but not Quartz Extreme.

• Like 1

Intel Centrino Wireless is not supportedl, you'll need to replace with a supported card found here.

Your E6410 does't have an NVidia card, it has the 1st generation Intel HD graphics card. At most you could get Core Image, but not Quartz Extreme.

I'll check what can I do about the wireless card, now about the Intel HD issue, do you know how can I get at least the Core Image you mentioned? Also, could you explain a bit further on this topic? I'm not sure I understand completely.

Thanks again!

I'll check what can I do about the wireless card, now about the Intel HD issue, do you know how can I get at least the Core Image you mentioned? Also, could you explain a bit further on this topic? I'm not sure I understand completely.

Thanks again!

Hey enveous,

First off, let's talk about your problem. I trust you removed the AppleIntelHDGraphics.kext and AppleIntelHDGraphicsFB.kext? If you did, try typing "graphicsenabler=no" at boot and seeing if that solves your problem. If it does, I have a few more steps to give you to make it permanent.

Now, about the Quartz Extreme/Core Image (QE/CI), (according to my extremely limited understanding) they are both parts of Hardware Acceleration in regards to Graphics. Some video cards are completely unsupported and won't support QE/CI at all. Others only support CI or QE, whilst others support both QE/CI. The Intel graphics on your E6410 support CI only.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Thanks again!

Hope you have a little time to read through this, it's quite detailed. A lot of work by a lot of talented people brought this together and now it supports Mavericks too.

• Like 1

Hey enveous,

First off, let's talk about your problem. I trust you removed the AppleIntelHDGraphics.kext and AppleIntelHDGraphicsFB.kext? If you did, try typing "graphicsenabler=no" at boot and seeing if that solves your problem. If it does, I have a few more steps to give you to make it permanent.

Now, about the Quartz Extreme/Core Image (QE/CI), (according to my extremely limited understanding) they are both parts of Hardware Acceleration in regards to Graphics. Some video cards are completely unsupported and won't support QE/CI at all. Others only support CI or QE, whilst others support both QE/CI. The Intel graphics on your E6410 support CI only.

Ok, I have a problem now... After leaving my computer idle for a while, I believe it tried to go to sleep which caused the system to freeze which made me force shut down. Now I'm trying to bootup normally and it hangs on the message "IOAPIC: Version 0x20 Vectors 64:87", this is the first time this happens and I think something got broken when I force shut down it.

I am able to bootup using safe mode though, so I tried your suggestion on safe mode to see what happened and it's still working sluggish; I used these flags -x -v GraphicsEnabler=No

I'm sorry I got that broken :\

post-47092-0-98300500-1383089234_thumb.jpg

Ok, I have a problem now... After leaving my computer idle for a while, I believe it tried to go to sleep which caused the system to freeze which made me force shut down. Now I'm trying to bootup normally and it hangs on the message "IOAPIC: Version 0x20 Vectors 64:87", this is the first time this happens and I think something got broken when I force shut down it.

I am able to bootup using safe mode though, so I tried your suggestion on safe mode to see what happened and it's still working sluggish; I used these flags -x -v GraphicsEnabler=No

I'm sorry I got that broken :\

I am able to boot normally now, I have no idea what I did, but I'm still having the Intel HD issue, I tried the GraphicsEnabler=No flag you mentioned and there was no difference.

Edit: It's not working again, getting the same error I mentioned above...help? :)

Hello there!

First of all, thanks to all people there giving a lot of useful hints/tricks/tips how to make your Latitude a working OS X machine. I'm happy owner of E6410 (Intel HD graphics) and I love this laptop (been using Dell laptops for years) and when I found out it's actually possible to have OS X on my Dell, I decided to try it - for the challenge to see if I can make it work, for the fun of it, and to learn more about OS X since I am a newbie at this (even though I consider myself as an experienced user) and OS X virgin (not anymore, haha). Anyway, I did lot of search, I've crashed my system twice (since I was trying it on a trial and error basis :D) but at the end, I now have a working OS X on my machine. There are still few things needed to be polished - that's why I'm here - before I will proceed to put back Ubuntu as a dual boot with OS X, but the Mountain Lion boots fine without any problems and the system is working. But like I said, as a newbie in OS X, I would appreciate few little advices and thank you in advance, if you find some time to help me.

I still need to get wifi and sound working, but that's just matter of using the right kexts, hopefully. The thing that bothers me now, is graphic. Everything works fine while using native resolution of 1440x900, but there are few itches - even with the newest flash player, flash elements on the websites are blinking/flashing while moving the cursor or scrolling the page (same issue happens with the start page in Safari - the one with most visited sites). Also the launchpad takes a little more time to start and when I'm moving the menu to the left or right, icons are randomly blinking/flashing (hope this is the right word). Same thing when I click on the notifications, few red squares are flashing there. I guess these issues are graphic related - is this a common issue and can it be fixed?

Then I would like to ask about the battery. My battery is almost new and it's the expanded version. But it seems that either the OS X consumes the battery faster, or the indication doesn't work properly and even if it indicates I need to charge it, it still could be, for example, 1/3 charged. Since I still don't have Ubuntu back, I can't compare it in another os, but from my experience, the battery lasted longer in Ubuntu.

As I'm OS X newbie, the next thing on my mind is the OS X (or the Mac) special key. Since it's used for lot of useful shortcuts - like taking screenshots, navigating through the OS X and many more - is it possible, somehow, to force the stock windows key to behave as it was this mac button? That would make using latitude as hackintosh even more user-friendly, than it is now.

// Edit: special button solved - alt works like that. It will take some time to get used to it, as it differs from when using windows/ubuntu, but that's not an issue at all.

The next question would be about license. Is it legal to run OS X on different device than the Macbook itself, although it's legally bought copy? Or is it consider as a violation of the license agreement?

This should be it, for now. Again, thank you for your effort that has been put into this, and thank you in advance, if you find some time to give me any advice/help.

Regards,

Peter/dwarf

Hello dwarf_!

Welcome to OSXLatitude!

To answer a few of your questions, the graphics issue is a known problem, but cannot be fixed (ever, unfortunately). The problem lies in the graphics capabilities of your E6410. My guess (from what you're describing) is that you have Intel Graphics, which is incompatible with QE/CI, or full graphics acceleration. This means you only have CE, or half the graphics acceleration necessary to run OS X at full capacity. It is because of this that you will notice Launchpad take forever to load, Notification Center to glitch up, and the DVD player not able to open.

Sound on the other hand should work fine. Did you follow the VoodooHDA.kext installation steps in the Post Installation section?

In order for Wifi to work, you will need a Dell Wireless 1510. As for the Intel card that comes with the E6410, it may never work under OS X.

Battery life under OS X should be close if not exactly the same as what you'd get under Windows, so I'm not quite sure why it indicates one thing but has a different capacity all together. Could be the Voodoobatery.kext. I'll check it out when I get a chance.

You can remap the Command, Option, and Control keys under System Preferences > Keyboard. I'm not sure of the exact location of where it is, but I do know it's somewhere in there :)

As for your last question regarding licensing, I had a similar one when I started hackintoshing and this article explained it to me quite nicely.