E6410 with nVidia NVS 3100M graphics - Mountain Lion Guide

v3ct0r

Thank you Patel for your greetings and for a quick response!

The graphic issue is a real bummer, since there's anything to fix it, for ever :/ Now I regret my decision to buy E6410 with i5 and Intel HD Graphics instead of i3 with nVidia 3100 (I should have bought that one, when I had the choice). The launchpad and notification doesn't bother me much because I don't need those, but the DVD Player (it doesn't even load - as you said) and the flash elements on web sites is a little bit of a disappointment though - can't watch anything on youtube, etc. But I can live without that, since I still want to have a dual boot with Ubuntu.

About the sound, I know it will work, but I haven't got time to play with it (also I use M-Audio interface, which should work fine too) and the wifi, thanks for the advice. I found one 1510, used, for about 6$ in a local IT shop, and that's a pretty nice price.

The battery really lasts less then in Ubuntu where it lasts, using the internet and Office stuff, for the most of my work day, but that would be the kext. I still have the original one that comes with OS X (the apple kext), so today I'll try that one and I hope it'll get better.

Remapping those keys is great news though, cool thing OS X has this choice, I'll find it there and play with it a little.

The article about license helped me a lot! It's kinda funny, when you buy OS X you don't actually buy it, but more like rent it from apple. But even though it's a violation of license agreement, I don't feel that bad, when I bought it and tried to make a hackintosh for my home use. Making hackintosh for a purpose of selling it to someone else, and make a profit from it (as it was mentioned in the article), that's definitely not right. But this is for another topic and conversation.

Again, thank you for your advices, I really appreciate your help! 

Hi,

i am doing the guide, first thank you very much...

I am from spain, so sorry for my english...

I did the install...and have the ml 6.8.5...working but with some problems....

i could not use de kext wizard in Post-Installation:

step 11,12 Select System/Library/Extensions under Destination...(you say this but in the photo are marked  "Extra"...

step 19: Check the boxes next to "Extra" and "System/Library/Extensions"

my problem is that i can not check Extra...if choose my ML hard drive i can not choose this option....i only can choose "extra" in  myHack OS X Install Disk.

So i tried with kext drop some drivers like audio now work, but i can not start from the hdd drive...i have to reboot always from USB...so what can i do?...what i am doing bad?...

if i try from hdd-drive, just show me the apple with the infinite circle spin, and a prohibited simbol at the end...

The wifi doesnt work too, i tried with the airportd.zip , but i can not use it...

i have a e6410, i5, nvidia v3 graphics, 8 Gb ram, 

Best Regards Fernando

Hey Fernando,

First, make sure you are updated to the latest version of Mountain Lion (should be 10.8.5), and then replace the kexts in /S/L/E with these:

https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=1937

That should get you past the prohibited sign that you see when you boot from the hard drive.

As for Steps 11 and 12, thank you for pointing out that the picture is incorrect. It should have /System/Library/Extensions selected, however the picture has /Extra selected instead.

Follow the text of the guide and select /System/Library/Extensions in Kext Wizard.

thank you for your answer...

the ML is 10.8.5

i just tried with your kext, but is the same...i see the prohibited and the infinite circle

i reboot with -v, and stop in:

still waiting for root device...still waiting for root device.....(could be a graphics problem?, i have nvidia v3....

maybe you can tell me how to do it, 

other question in edit EDIT 6/4/2013, 

between 

• Select Run myFix
  • Select Full

you have to choose ¿the hard drive or  myHack OS X Install Disk.?

In postInstall i can not choose Extra in maintenance (step 54) with hdd hard drive...

when you say replace the kexts, is just put in folder E6410 ML and e6141o ML 10 8.4....or do it with kext wizard that i can no do it in step (19-54), because i can not choose "extras"...

Best regards 

Fernando

thank you for your answer...

the ML is 10.8.5

i just tried with your kext, but is the same...i see the prohibited and the infinite circle

i reboot with -v, and stop in:

still waiting for root device...still waiting for root device.....(could be a graphics problem?, i have nvidia v3....

maybe you can tell me how to do it, 

other question in edit EDIT 6/4/2013, 

between 

• Select Run myFix
  • Select Full

you have to choose ¿the hard drive or  myHack OS X Install Disk.?

In postInstall i can not choose Extra in maintenance (step 54) with hdd hard drive...

when you say replace the kexts, is just put in folder E6410 ML and e6141o ML 10 8.4....or do it with kext wizard that i can no do it in step (19-54), because i can not choose "extras"...

Best regards 

Fernando

Chose the Hard Drive when running a myFix; nothing on the Install Disk should be touched so there's no reason to fix the permissions.

Do you have an Extra folder on your hard drive? Check by opening up a Finder Window and pressing "Alt+Shift+G" and then typing in "/Extra" without the quotes, and then Enter. If you see an org.chameleon.Boot.plist, a RemovedExtensions folder, and an Extensions folder, then you do have a /Extra folder and I have no idea why you can't select /Extra in Kext Wizard! Sounds like a very strange problem...

Hey guys, 

Firstly thanks to the OP with the guide to install mountain lion.

Issue I'm having is I can't connect to any wireless networks, keeps telling me connection failed.

I'm running ML 10.8.5 update with the kext's installed as posted in the guide.  I have latitude E6410 Nvidia 4gb ram and just recently ordered and installed a Dell 1510 wireless (Broadcom BCM4322).

I've followed the instructions from darvinko by deleting io80211family kext from S/L/E and updated the kexts into extras with kext util and repaired permissions.

As soon as I had installed the wifi adapter, it detected and installed which was great - it will scan for and find the networks, but it won't connect to the 2 I'm trying.

I've done plenty of searching and can't find anything specific to this.

Can anyone guide me to a solution ? ... If it's an incompatibility  for osx to connect to anything with AES encryption I'll need another solution as I'm an IT tech and can't go around changing all my customers wifi.

Thanks in advance,

• Moderators

Hey guys, 

Issue I'm having is I can't connect to any wireless networks, keeps telling me connection failed.

I'm running ML 10.8.5 update with the kext's installed as posted in the guide.  I have latitude E6410 Nvidia 4gb ram and just recently ordered and installed a Dell 1510 wireless (Broadcom BCM4322).

I've followed the instructions from darvinko by deleting io80211family kext from S/L/E and updated the kexts into extras with kext util and repaired permissions.

As soon as I had installed the wifi adapter, it detected and installed which was great - it will scan for and find the networks, but it won't connect to the 2 I'm trying.

Can anyone guide me to a solution ? ... If it's an incompatibility  for osx to connect to anything with AES encryption I'll need another solution as I'm an IT tech and can't go around changing all my customers wifi.

Thanks in advance,

That card works out of the box, no kext is needed or modify. You probably need to restore that kext you deleted and repair permissions.

Hey guys, 

Thanks in advance,

Did you try the airportd fix in the Troubleshooting section in the first post?