E6410 with nVidia NVS 3100M graphics - Mountain Lion Guide

v3ct0r

Hi Folks,

I'm having a very similar problem to that described by bnplz. I get to the installer no problem, but when I fire up disk utility I only see my thumb drive. I've followed all the advice here; reseating thumb drive, DFT'ing, lspci -nn (just returns the error 'Illegal Instruction: 4'(its definitely in E/E)) and patching IOATAFamily.kext (neither the ML or L (read some reports of it working with ML) were successful, in either S/L/E or E/E), but nothing seems to work. I have noticed that the CD drive is also not showing up, but that other USB drives do appear when I plug them in. Thought this might be something to do with the patched AppleACPIPlatform.kext (based on some discussion of this problem occuring with 10.9 installs), so I switched back to the default one, but again no luck.

I've kind of run out of ideas. Can anyone help?

Are you also trying to install 10.8.4 or 10.8.5?

Just for kicks and giggles, try using the 10.8.4 folder with the installer...

I would start fresh too, btw, since you've changed the kexts around. Format the flash drive first, and then try making the installer with the 10.8.4 folder.

Just had some luck!

Installed the 10.8.4 kexts on my flash drive, then overwrote with the original ML ones (they aren't all the same). I now have Hard Drive and CD Drive. Will try to install, but if it fails like ABQJohn describes, i'll give you suggestion a shot. This is a bit of a mess now...

Ok, so both the messy method above, and a clean usb with only the 10.8.4 E/E & S/L/E result in the same problem. Installer says it failed, OS is visible on reboot, but attempting to load just gets the 'no' sign and an endlessly spinning gear. Booting in verbose mode, it hangs at the following:

AppleIntelE1000e(Info): changing MTU from 0 to 1500
AppleIntelE1000e(Info): AppleIntelE1000e:WOL = 2
Sill waiting for root device

What do you mean by "it never finishes"? Does it end with an error (Installation failed)?

Yes, it ends with an error that the installation failed.  Per Coldsun1187's post #356, I get what he mentions at bullet three - at the end of the actual install I see an "Installation Failed" message and the three questions never pop up at the end of the install.  (I've never seen these three questions, so I am just going by his post that they are supposed to come up).

One thing I don't understand is the behavior when I use just the E6410ML folder to create my USB installer, I DO NOT see the hard drive; it sounds like that is not the norm for everyone else.  Any idea why that is?

I don't have the laptop here with me; I will retry it again in the morning, and see what the installer log says (I just found that early Friday, after trying this more times than I care to admit!)

Unless it has the Nvidia card otherwise you won't have QE/CI graphics.

You are very right, I can't really recommend that buy anymore :x I got a laptop used with the nvidia card for LESS than what ebay has them for.  If they had the card then it would be a great buy (New + lots of stock)  but NOPE

I've tried a bunch of different things this morning, and i'm getting the error every time. Install says its failed, and trying to load just results in it hanging on 'Still waiting for root device'.

I have used the ML & ML 10.8.4 packages with both the 9/4/2012 & 6/4/2013 update AppleAHCIPort & IOAHCIFamily Kexts (fresh usb every time). All combinations of this result in that same error.

Any ideas?