D830 NVS140M Mountain Lion Install Hangs

Flinch987

macdelld830

Just one thing: in "About this Mac" my videocard is shown as NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS 256 MB. I think this is a string I should be able to replace in the DSDT file. But I did not test this yet.

The reason is, from what I've read, is that the NVS 140m is essentially just a slightly stripped model of the 8400m GS. I can't remember where the heck I read that though. 

BTW, I'm also always getting stuck on the PCI config. I'm pretty new to this so the whole experience seems to be the virtual equivalent to trying to swim through mud. I did manage to get Lion installed on a HP DC7900 USFF, but there isn't video support for the crappy Q43/45 chipset in it :( bummer but other than that it seems to be 100% so that's the only reason I've gotten this far. Oh, and Time Machine doesnt work. But, seeing how I've never used a mac before I started this adventure that might just be user error.

My biggest issue is I really wanted this to run on my D830. (2.4, Quadro 140, 4gb ram, 1920x1200 res and a 500gb hybrid) I've tried everything, just as a lot of you have. I'm just not all that familiar with some of the terminology and procedures. I've tried multiple Lion configs and ML configs but it's always PCI that stabs me in the back. Meh. I'll try some of the steps that you all have posted here in this thread and see if I can bumble my way through it ;)

I hope the vid card info helps you some.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators

Video card reported as 8400M GS is long known and the way to change this through simple DSDT text edit has been mentioned many times before. Nothing new here...

You should have no problem whatsoever installing SL,Lion or ML on your WUXGA D830 with NVS 140M. It's totally supported with our OSXL process + specific bootpack.

I posted this in another thread too, but I had the same problem on my D830 with Nvidia, trying to load 10.8.4.  After combing around here, I saw that the recurring theme was a PCI issue.  I had my wireless adapter switched off on 10.6.3 with another build.  So, I turned it on.  Sure enough, everything was golden.  Hope this helps.

Oddly enough, it was one of the unsupported ones (3945), which was why I had the switch turned off.  I figured it might have something to do with expected PCI enumeration, or maybe just be a timing thing.  I tried three times to install it with the adapter turned off, and it hung every time.  Switched it on, and there it went.

Everything looks fine, except that my Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 isn't working properly, but that's a whole other subject.