EMlyDinEsH

ELAN, FocalTech and Synaptics (Smart Touchpad) Driver (Mac OS X)

@All OpenSource fanatikers here!

1. Dinesh made this kext, almost from ground up (ported)

2. He investigated EXTREMELY MUCH WORK in it, i know it very good, because i was some time a tester for him... and i know exactly how long we needed to fix some bugs only...

3. Really, i don't want to make a big discussion here, but don't forget, dinesh does it for free, for us! 

4. If he don't release the source code, its alone his OWN thing! (for example, rehabman has released source code on github, for the voodoo-PS2-Controller, and who else codes with him... he does all the work alone...)

So stop discussion here, what dinesh need to do or not! Its his own work, his own time, his own thing what he do or not!

So all out here, using this kext:

SAY THANK YOU DINESH FOR ALL THE WORK!!!

AND DONT BLAME YOURSELF!

Without the work of Dinesh, without this kext, what are you going to do?

Yes!: Use a mouse, instead the ELAN Touchpad on your beautiful Asus laptop!

If you don't agree, its your own thing, but please don't start a discussion here...

And now, back to main bugs^^

Cheers :-)

------------------------------

@Dinesh

By the way^^

The driver gets almost bigger and bigger...

My v4.2 here have only 300KB.... (without resources)

v4.4.5 have now 349KB... (without resources)

Seems like you have much new code :-)

But its possible that you start to optimize your code a little bit, to make it smaller again?^^

I know there is alway the bug & stability factor, on big code changes, optimizations, etc...

But we can open an IRC Channel, for all beta testers here... to check all bugs out...

Maybe an idea, maybe not^^

Cheers :-)

Hi, I have small problem... I'm on El capitan, and everything works perfect, I love my touchpad now! and I love you Bro! 

But I have problem with one thing when I type something on my keyboard, touchpad is not working, and it's okey, but when i click spacebar touchpad is turning on, and sometimes it click something... It's very irritating... If somebody know solution of this problem, please answer :)

I mean that, I would like that if I click spacebar, touchpad will stay turn off, like while typing on normal keys :)

Thanx a lot, because this kext is the best thing in my life!  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:

Btw. I'm on Focaltech touchpad, kext v4.4.5 

@All OpenSource fanatikers here!

1. Dinesh made this kext, almost from ground up (ported)

2. He investigated EXTREMELY MUCH WORK in it, i know it very good, because i was some time a tester for him... and i know exactly how long we needed to fix some bugs only...

3. Really, i don't want to make a big discussion here, but don't forget, dinesh does it for free, for us! 

4. If he don't release the source code, its alone his OWN thing! (for example, rehabman has released source code on github, for the voodoo-PS2-Controller, and who else codes with him... he does all the work alone...)

So stop discussion here, what dinesh need to do or not! Its his own work, his own time, his own thing what he do or not!

So all out here, using this kext:

SAY THANK YOU DINESH FOR ALL THE WORK!!!

AND DONT BLAME YOURSELF!

Without the work of Dinesh, without this kext, what are you going to do?

Yes!: Use a mouse, instead the ELAN Touchpad on your beautiful Asus laptop!

First, just to get it right:

1) Dines doesn't made this kext entirely "almost from ground". This is the old codebase what Apple released years ago. Just look here: https://github.com/EMlyDinEsHMG/ElanTouchpad-Driver/blob/master/ApplePS2Controller/ApplePS2Controller.cppDo you also see, what i see?

/*
 * Copyright (c) 1998-2000 Apple Computer, Inc. All rights reserved.
 * @[email protected]
 * The contents of this file constitute Original Code as defined in and
 * are subject to the Apple Public Source License Version 1.1 (the
 * "License").  You may not use this file except in compliance with the
 * License.  Please obtain a copy of the License at
 * http://www.apple.com/publicsource and read it before using this file.

Oh, and let see RehabMan's code: HERE. Umm... If it looks strange for you, then let me explain the situation:

- Apple released the PS2 code around 2000.

- The VooDoo project invested much time to implement many things and fix the bugs, and published the whole code.

- RehabMan took the source, and developed it further, and published the whole code.

- and then Dines took all the source, changed here-and-there (I'm not implying that it was easy!), and then published it in binary form, without sources, and after many question he published this 3 years old code.

2) I'm sure, he invested much work into the codebase, what he got from other nice peoples and from Apple. Let see, what this Apple Public Source License says about this:

(...)
If You Externally Deploy Your Modifications, You must make Source Code of all Your Externally Deployed Modifications either available to those to whom You have Externally Deployed Your Modifications, or publicly available.
(...)

If you using this code in your project, you need to publish the modified code. Easy.

3) There are plenty OSX86 developer, who doing the same, for example the VooDoo team.

4) Nope. It is not his OWN thing. He used the Apple codebase, the VooDoo codebase, and i think some changes from RehabMan too. He also need to follow the Apple license.

And no, please, don't tell me, that i need to say thank you for Dinesh. Just look at the Clover project, many people working together to eliminate the bugs really fast, to implement the new ideas, technologies and bugfixes. I'm really appreciate this work.

Dines, even though working pretty hard, just squashing the bugs alone, if he becomes ill or something the users are sucked. He don't need to be martyr or something, he can just open the code, there will be many people, who can help at the development, so he doesn't need to be awake all night long. But he don't doing that. Because money.

So tl,dr: he took the open source code, changed, doesn't released the modified code (what he need, actually), and doing money with work of other guys. You know, for me it looks dirty.

And you asked, what would we do without this kext? We would redo everything, what Dines made, but with open source. Nobody did that yet, because it is pointless to do the same development again, and this is, why i wrote this wall of text: Dines is intelligent enough to know this, and he knows really well, that Apple doesn't want to do anything with the PS2 code, so he don't need to fear from the lawyers. And he know, that there will be always some guys, like you, Ramalama, who will fight for him in the forums. So he won. I hope, that it makes you feel happy.

But, you know, it is a bit disappointing.

####

Please, let me know, if i misunderstood something. 

Best regards,

miqlas

i fight for him, because he spend the last 3-4years extremely much time in it, and provide the kext here free for everyone...

No one paid here to get the kext, and a donation is a completely different thing for a developer...

Now there comes some new people, that spend nothing for the community, that did nothing at all,

and write, that a developer, that spend 3-4years of hard work need to release the source code...

Really i don't understand the world anymore...

All i can say to such people like you, that don't know at all what respect is,

And I'm really sorry that i write this now, never happen before on any forum:

"go and **** yourself!!!"

I don't know any other words for such respectless people!

You don't need to say, its a waste of time to redo the kext...

Really, if you are not agree here, you can always go and make a open source kext!

And its never to late or a waste of time, to do that!

On Dinesh's place, i would not release any updates anymore and delete the kexts from this forum, and any other forum!

Just that people like you, can go ahead and make your own OpenSource kext!

And i really hope, that you will be happy, that you had success, that a developer never release anymore a kext, because of you!

Good Bye, I'm off here!

Have enough of this respectless Guys here!

You know what?

Im sorry for my harsh before, but

If you were RehabMan, Slice, Piker, Toleda, TimeWalker, dmazar, apianti, CodeRush, etc...

One of the big heads here, that spend much time for the community, it were a complete different thing...

We would discuss here, like normal people discusses...

All this guys have a big respect for what they did and for the time they spend...

But you are a "NO One", that writes what a developer need to do!

And another NO One like me (and I'm sure, i spend really much more time as you for the community), need to fight for Dinesh...

And now I'm off here...

Bye.

Ramalama, sorry, but your points doesn't much sense for me. Please, let me explain why:

- Nobody told for Dines, that he NEED to use the Apple sources. Nobody held a gun to his head, you know.

- He is able to do something from scratch, everybody can see that in his other projects.

- If he do something from scratch, nobody cares what he do with the sources.

- In this specific case he used sources from Apple

- However he can read ( obviously ), he doesn't respect the rules, the licenses, the law.

-------------

You wrote, you would speak with me like grown ups, if i were some big name from the community. Really sorry, but i spoked with you like a grown up before, but you just told me: go fck yourself. I'm not really sure, if i want to continue this discussion with you anymore, but if you can give me any reason, why should we let Dines to violate the licenses and the rules, what every other osx86 community member and developer respects, i'll read it and will discuss about that happily.

But it would better to see the sources, than writing wall-of-text here. Sorry, it is not against you, i just have better things to do :)

Thats for now,

Best regards,

miqlas

i can see both points of views but even apple does not release all there code even though they are also bound. there are a lot of instances like that; like apple usb3 code and many many others as a point of reference. he has technically fulfilled his duty by releasing the code snippets he has already if it has not changed. which is the ps2 parts and the voodoo parts. but i also can agree that he could use a hand in furthering his kext. the only issue i see is that it only takes 2 minutes 2 fork over a git repo and call it your own which also happens quite frequently ,and they do not submit there changes to trunk either if they did then we would just be downloading from the original  voodoo and not from a renamed forked branch. so either way i see faults.

• Like 1

@Bronxtech said everything  which i want to say 

@santafe he is not violating license , LA which gives right close source until he want . and if you wan to help him contact him directly wether his decission to take or not . 

For Dinesh i say he is very Hardworking and Good Guy 

there are so many developers in Hack Comm whom made many kexts , have you seen anyone who is providing this level of dedication and Support for his all threads .

Source on Git dev working alone , no one contributing just enjoying Fruit , Clover Development is different which is not started by one person there was a team who made it possible that time clover was closed source ..

Regards 

Deepak 

• Like 1

EMlyDinEsH,

Your driver is awesome in El Capitan, save for a couple issues:

• The Backlight DSDT patch causes your KEXT (4.4.5 x86_64) to kernel panic the system on boot. (Will get a pic for you soon -- have to get a better camera)
  • I would really love to have the virtual buttons on my ELAN v4 to not contribute to gestures. I keep accidentally triggering the gestures just by having a finger on the "buttons," causing all sorts of unintended/weird effects.

Thanks for everything so far! Your driver is so awesome.

Hi there,

Great little kext. I love all the customisation options. However I cannot get the 3 finger swipe back/forward to work. I've modified the PS2Keyboard kext to ISO mode (I do have an ISO keyboard) and tried several keyboard ID's, however it is a bit unclear to me which value I should be using. When you say 0x30 for example, am I supposed to set the value to "0x30", "30" or "48" (hex to int converted value)? Also, is there a definite way of identifying which layout I need to use instead of trial and error? For example:

defaults read /Library/Preferences/com.apple.HIToolbox.plist

Gives me the keyboard ID recognised by the OS but I doubt it is the one I should be using since it did not work.

Thanks!