Dell 7410 Comet Lake: can't boot any macOS installer

BBoy

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks @Hervé  , so rather embarassingly, you were correct.  I had another EFI on my internal HD and what I didn't realise was that sometimes the PC would decide to boot from that instead of my pendrive.  I was therefore resetting the wrong config!

I've now made progress but it's complaining about that the platform isn't compatible for Ventura.  I believe this is all about setting the correct SMBIOS.  It's currently MacBookPro16,2.  I'll start reading up on what is the right one but if anyone reading this can confirm what I should set for a I7-10810U with UHD620 graphics, I'd appreciate it!

Log attached.opencore-2023-11-09-123919.txt.zip

UPDATE:  my error.  I think the clearing of the NVRAM makes it fail early with the OS error and then the subsequent boot fails at the same point EXITBS:START.    I think I'm wasting my time with this PC.

• Administrators

Thanks @Hervé .  I've been over and over the guides and I really can't figure out what is wrong.  @Jake Lo was also kind enough to help.  Another user on here seemed to get a Dell 7410 working but with a BIOS version of 1.5.2 whereas mine is 1.24.0.  You can't downgrade dell bios any more so I wonder if something in the later versions is breaking the installation.

I'd love to get it working but I've spent so much time on it now and feel like I'm just blindly trying things - the log error is so vague that I'm not sure where to begin.  If you have any further advice, I'd appreciate it - otherwise the 7410 may become a doorstop! :-)

P.S. your first link above is broken - looks like the page doesn't exist?

I have the same machine but my machine is i5-10310U.
Could you try my EFI? You might replace your SMBIOS with MacBookPro16,3.
And the other problem is, I used BCM94360CS2 (From MacBook and I needed to modify my barbone to fit it) for this machine but audio via Bluetooth sometimes is stuttering.

EFI.zip

Interesting.  I think that's the same BIOS although mine is not a 2-in-1 machine.  I know the hynix HD is incompatible with MacOS, so I swapped this out with a Samsung 970 Pro that I had working on a desktop Hackintosh. 

Did you make any HW changes before the install, such as the WiFi?  I didn't think anything like this would stop the installer from running.

How about BIOS settings?  Again, I think I have everything set correctly but, do you know what you had to configure?IMG_6204.thumb.png.f26afd7d3f8a15b64d34714d2edd6a64.png