Optiplex 745 USFF

Blancmaison

Maybe this will help:

http://www.dell.com/downloads/global/products/optix/en/opti_745techspecs.pdf

On the USFF there are no PCI slots, it uses only the Q965, limiting you to the integrated graphics. Additionally, even if this model included the slot, the size constraints and 220W power supply would severely limit graphics add on options.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any progress getting graphics to work on optiplex 745?

Have a minitower with ML installed, with almost everything working except integrated graphics.

How did you manage to install ML on your minitower optiplex 745.

My system keeps rebooting after the bootloader.

Thank you

Katie D

As I've just spent the better part of 2 weeks working on this, I figured I'd chime in and help anyone out that I can.

I now have Mountain Lion 10.8.5 working FULLY on a Dell Optiplex 745 ...iMessage, QE/CI, Audio, Graphics, the works.

This was my boxes config:

Intel® Q965 (ICH8) Express Chipset

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo 1066MHz FSB Socket T with Dual Core technology XD, EM64T, 2MB and up to 4MB L2 cache, EIST and VT (E6000 series)

Broadcom® 5754 Gigabit Ethernet LAN solution 10/100/1000 Ethernet with Remote Wake Up and PXE support

128MB ATI Radeon® X1300

ADI 1983 High Definition Audio

Video Card Notes: The onboard video card's VGA works for all installation needs natively but sucks and doesn't support QE/CI..I saw some places that you could but it involved a lot more than I wanted to do.

So, I ordered this ATI Radeon HD 5450 1GB for $30 - $20 rebate = $10...SOLD!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131338

My original install was all done through creating a MyHack USB with IOATAFamily.kext in the Extras folder on the USB Drive (Otherwise, Disk Utility won't show your SATA drive to install on)

iMessage was by far the biggest PITA to get working...so I had to rely on a relatively new bootloader called Clover to get the job done.

I'll upload my kexts/extras folder stuff if anyone still needs this, just reply to the post. I love this forum and this was a fun little project for myself so I'd be glad to help if I can but the main takeaway is...get a different graphics card.

@twitzgall

Yes, please I would really like all information/files etc on how you got your 745 running.  I had basically given up.   I have the same base setup (mini tower) as you with the exception that I have a NVIDIA 7300GS card, but willing to get ATI if that will work.  I had previously tried Lion 10.7.3 through 10.7.5 and was getting stuck on the "Still waiting for root device" error after reboot but had not tried 10.8.  I know about needing IOATA kext to solve the problem of Disk Utility seeing the disk during install in AHCI mode.  I also have BCM5722D.kext which enables the Broadcomm 57xx family.  I am familiar with MyHack, that is what I used to create my 10.7 USB installer.

If you are willing to assist me, send me a private message and we can share email address, or we can continue on this forum.  Again, any help much appreciated!

• Administrators

@mcr: the nVidia 7300 will not be supported by ML, it's one of those chips dropped by Apple from ML). Replace it by a supported video board and you'll enjoy full QE/CI. The 745SFF is quite similar to the Vostro200 and that runs SL/L/ML/Mav without any issue as long as you have the right graphics card.

@mcr: the nVidia 7300 will not be supported by ML, it's one of those chips dropped by Apple from ML). Replace it by a supported video board and you'll enjoy full QE/CI. The 745SFF is quite similar to the Vostro200 and that runs SL/L/ML/Mav without any issue as long as you have the right graphics card.

Thanks Hervé.  I have the 745 mini tower, not the SFF, but I don't think that should matter, they all have the same Q965 chipset.  I just ordered a EVGA GeForce GTX 650 1GB (Kepler chip), which according to another well known OS X x86 site, is natively OOB supported in L, ML and Mav.  I have the IOATAFamily.kext fix, plus the kext to support the gigabit Ethernet, and I will try to install ML when my card arrives.  Do you recommend GraphicsEnabler On or Off?  It's still not clear to me if insertion is necessary with ML.