New TouchPad driver for E6520 / ALPS

bpedman

Could you look at /var/log/system.log and look for a line that says: "Found ALPS Device with ID....." and paste that here. I would like to know what the model is. It sounds somewhat similar to what driedger reported here https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/2545-new-touchpad-driver-for-e6520-alps/page-2&do=findComment&comment=19378. Need to know what model it is so I know where to make any changes.

Okay, I believe this is the line you are looking for.

Jun  3 11:35:29 localhost kernel[0]: ApplePS2ALPSGlidePoint::identify: Found ALPS Device with ID E7=0x73 0x02 0x64, EC=0x88 0x07 0x9d

Thank you for looking into it. [:

miguelme777, seems to me you have the exact same hardware as I have: E7=0x73 0x02 0x64, EC=0x88 0x07 0x9d

What laptop model do you have? Do you get the same error message as I got? 

Jun  3 09:32:00 localhost kernel[0]: ApplePS2ALPSGlidePoint ERROR: read wrong registry value, expected: 8
Jun  3 09:32:00 localhost kernel[0]: ApplePS2ALPSGlidePoint: Device initialization failed. Touchpad probably won't work
Jun  3 09:32:00 localhost kernel[0]: ApplePS2Controller: Timed out on mouse input stream.

When I touch the trackpad I get of these log entries:

Jun  4 15:25:08 server kernel[0]: ps2m: dx=4, dy=-1, dz=0, buttons=0
Jun  4 15:25:08 server kernel[0]: ps2m: dx=4, dy=0, dz=0, buttons=0
Jun  4 15:25:08 server kernel[0]: ps2m: dx=3, dy=0, dz=0, buttons=0
Jun  4 15:25:08 server kernel[0]: ps2m: dx=3, dy=-1, dz=0, buttons=0
  • Like 1

miguelme777, seems to me you have the exact same hardware as I have: E7=0x73 0x02 0x64, EC=0x88 0x07 0x9d

What laptop model do you have? Do you get the same error message as I got? 

Jun  3 09:32:00 localhost kernel[0]: ApplePS2ALPSGlidePoint ERROR: read wrong registry value, expected: 8
Jun  3 09:32:00 localhost kernel[0]: ApplePS2ALPSGlidePoint: Device initialization failed. Touchpad probably won't work
Jun  3 09:32:00 localhost kernel[0]: ApplePS2Controller: Timed out on mouse input stream.

When I touch the trackpad I get of these log entries:

Jun  4 15:25:08 server kernel[0]: ps2m: dx=4, dy=-1, dz=0, buttons=0
Jun  4 15:25:08 server kernel[0]: ps2m: dx=4, dy=0, dz=0, buttons=0
Jun  4 15:25:08 server kernel[0]: ps2m: dx=3, dy=-1, dz=0, buttons=0

Seriously? ahaha.

I have a Dell Inspiron 15 n5040.  Did you get your trackpad working?

I'm not sure if thats the same error I get.  I'll check in a little.  It might be.  I know for a fact I get those log entries when I touch my trackpad also.

@bjornw So the daemon doesn't do much, it just monitors the number of mouse devices (i.e. you may have a USB mouse attached as well). I am not exactly certain what the number of mice actually triggers though. I do see that there is a case where it can be used to turn off the touchpad but I am not sure when that occurs. It may have to do with the preference pane option where it will turn off the trackpad if another mouse is present.

Interesting that it fails to initialize. I have the same exact model on mine, same E7 and EC response, everything works fine. It is failing while trying to initialize the  trackstick. You guys have a trackstick along with the trackpad right?

@bjornw So the daemon doesn't do much, it just monitors the number of mouse devices (i.e. you may have a USB mouse attached as well). I am not exactly certain what the number of mice actually triggers though. I do see that there is a case where it can be used to turn off the touchpad but I am not sure when that occurs. It may have to do with the preference pane option where it will turn off the trackpad if another mouse is present.

Interesting that it fails to initialize. I have the same exact model on mine, same E7 and EC response, everything works fine. It is failing while trying to initialize the  trackstick. You guys have a trackstick along with the trackpad right?

Not sure about @bjornw, but my Dell computer does not have a trackstick.  It just has the multitouch trackpad and the right/left clicker.  They are similar models so I would think his doesn't have it either.

Not sure about @bjornw, but my Dell computer does not have a trackstick.  It just has the multitouch trackpad and the right/left clicker.  They are similar models so I would think his doesn't have it either.

Weird..well, that makes a lot of sense now. I will make some adjustments for that so that it won't fail if setting up the trackstick fails.

OK, I have uploaded a new version. This should fix some issues for everyone. I think I am correctly probing for a trackstick now, so it should properly initialize when the trackstick isn't present. I also refined some of the v1/v2 model stuff so that should work better as well.

Give it a shot, the new version is on the original post marked as v5, once I get some verification it works OK I will remove the v4 download.

• Like 1