Trouble installing Mavericks on Optiplex 9020

ktbos

I did another install.  This time with 10.9 (instead of 10.9.4).  Same result!  I used all of the files from the 9020 guide to build the installer USB drive and I finally found a reputable 10.9 InstallESD image to use.  I shrunk the existing 10.9.4 volume on my SSD to make room for a second partition to install to.  I did the install of 10.9 there and tested and got the same black screen on waking from sleep.  I tried adding in the kernel flag you suggest in the guide and found no difference.  The following is what my addition to the Boot.plist looks like:

<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>-gux_defer_usb2</string>

Let me know if I am not adding that flag correctly. 

In desperation to figure out what might be different, I decided to try downgrading from my BIOS version of A07 to A04 that you had.  Again, same result with waking from sleep: black screen. 

For BIOS settings, I do a factory default load and then switch SATA from RAID to AHCI.  That's the only change from factory default.  Let me know if you have anything different.  (And of course, I could send details about any BIOS setting that you might be interested in.)  That's what I had done with A07 and that's what I did with A04. 

Just for kicks, I tested sleep in Windows 8 - works fine.  (Just to test if my system had faulty hardware or something!) 

My displayport monitor is 1920x1200.  In case there's something different about waking a higher res monitor, I hooked up a passive displayport to DVI adapter to a 1600x1200 monitor.  Waking was a little different.  I got a mostly black screen but the top 20% had blinking grey.  I don't think that's either better or worse - presumably just a different manifestation of the same problem.  I don't have access to any other monitors of lower resolutions.  Jake, what resolution monitor did you test your sleep/wake on? 

What else should I look at?  And Jake, can you confirm that you do have sleep/wake working on your 9020 even as it stands now with MacOS 10.9.0 on it?  (Before trying any upgrade?)

I created my own DSDT today from an extraction within Windows.  I didn't add in any of the usual changes and comparing to the one from the guide, it was mostly similar, but still had some significant differences.  The result: exactly the same failure to wake as with the DSDT from the guide.  My thinking is that if the DSDT had any impact on the sleep/wake issue, I would have seen at least something different. 

The only thing that has provided any change at all is changing the monitor resolution and the only change that provides is a different kind of black screen failure.  It is either all black with occasional white flashes (1920x1200), black with blinking grey on the top 20% (1600x1200), or black with most of the screen blinking grey (when I dragged the resolution scrollbar all the way down for some arbitrary but low resolution).  They all seem like variations on a theme: something like the GPU info didn't seem to survive the sleep/wake cycle. 

The only differences between Jake's and my 9020 at this point are different brand of SSD, monitor, and memory modules, etc..  My setup should be the same, including BIOS version and settings.  My latest install uses Mavericks 10.9.0 which I think it what Jake used.  And I followed the instructions and used the Extra directory provided.  I used myHack version 3.3.1.  Assuming I've got the same versions of everything, then there should be nothing materially different between my 9020 and the 9020 that Jake used for the guide.  And yet I'm still having problems with sleep/wake. 

So, Jake, any insight on what might be different?  Can you double-check your 9020 to see if it does sleep/wake correctly and if so what versions of myHack, MacOS, etc., you used to build it?  Maybe something is different? 

And at the same time, does anyone have any suggestions on what to check/change when it seems like the GPU is causing a sleep/wake failure?  Sleep/Wake fixes are everywhere for all kinds of different issues, but I didn't see any that seem to be related to the HD4600 so if anyone has suggestions, I'd love to hear them.  Or maybe the black screen doesn't actually indicate a GPU problem and I should look elsewhere? 

Hi there,

I'm interested about your progression on this computer. 

I also tried to install 10.9.2 but I was struck on the loading screen with the "Waiting for DSMOS".. I gave up on this and I'm now working with 10.9.1...

About the sleep/wake up, sometimes one of my two screens don't wake up or wakes up only with green strips on screen.. but in most cases, they both wake up properly. (I added -gux_defer_2)

Can we have hope for 10.10 ?

Bronxteck, funny timing.  A few hours before your post, I had found that hibernatemode fixes the wake problem.  I had to get to work so I couldn't post when I figured it out and I wanted to test a long sleep cycle.  It works!  But actually, it was set to 0 and I needed to change to 3 to get it to work.  It seems that Apple sets hibernate mode to zero by default on desktops and since the smbios in the guide's bootpack has it emulating an iMac, that does make sense.  Hibernate mode is set to 3 by default on a laptop.  Hibernatemode of 3 includes a system image stored to disk that it will supposedly use in case of a power loss to the memory - which theoretically doesn't happen on a desktop under normal circumstances.  But apparently, the memory storage of the image is somehow incomplete on the 9020 (or at least on mine) and the disk image supplies what is missing. 

It's worth pointing out that I had disabled the wake-on-lan in the BIOS and also the wake on USB too.  But at least one time while the setting was supposedly off, a keyboard bump started a wake so I'm not sure that those settings were ever really disabled.  Also, it's worth noting that I'm unlikely to use sleep with any regularity.  But having a menu pick that would put the computer in a state that it could never recover from was too dangerous.  (Perhaps if I could have removed Sleep from the menu, that would have resolved the issue a different way - but this is better!) 

Realz, I have seen similar excessive green-ness in my recent testing with two monitors.  (Since my last post above, I discovered that having two monitors connected at the time of sleep actually allowed the wake to get further with green strips on one display while the other one remained black.  But the mouse and keyboard never became active so it never successfully woke - just as before with one monitor remaining black or blinking.)  I wonder if the difference in success with waking from sleep has to do with the kind of memory installed and whether the memory has enough power during sleep to properly maintain the image. 

Next up is audio.  I want to see if I can resolve the squeal Jake mentioned and that I have.  And then put it all together with the 10.9.4 image and my new DSDT and smbios and see if I can get something that is relatively complete.  I'll post back with results (hopefully successful). 

My current goal is to get 10.9.4 working well so that I can be ready for 10.10 - the ultimate goal is a fully functional Yosemite system. Better than an iMac because I can use my own displays and add cards and drives as needed but not the crazy overkill that a Mac Pro would be. 

• Like 1

Can wait to see your results on this. 

I'll try to disable the wake-on-lan in the BIOS and set the hibernate mode to 3 and see what happens.

By the way, do you know how can I resolve the "Waiting for DSMOS" error when booting after the 10.9.2 update ? I can't find what I missed here and nobody mentioned this error with this computer.

Realz, I'm looking forward to results too!  It'll be a few days. 

In the meantime, no, I didn't have any issues with DSMOS.  My best suggestion is to start over and follow the guide exactly.  So far, I've tested A04 and A07 BIOS versions and both worked the same for me.  Be sure to do the Load Defaults button in the BIOS and then the only change is to make SATA AHCI instead of RAID.  When creating the installer with myHack, use a 10.9.4 InstallESD image so you can skip over any updates.  Use the Extra from the guide to create the installer and use that during post install for the Extra for your new install.  Remove any add-on cards you may have installed and any USB devices you have plugged in that might make your computer different from Jake's or mine.  The only change from the guide I can recommend so far is to do sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 3 after you complete the installation. 

Of course, if your computer is not exactly an Optiplex 9020 with an i7 4770, then the DSDT might not be working for you and you'd need to make your own. 

And if you can't reinstall because you would lose stuff, your best bet is to search this site or others for other people with similar DSMOS errors.  (Though you could try restoring to a backup prior to the 10.9.2 update and then regain access to whatever you need and back that up externally so that you could then do a new install.)

ktbos, thank you for your reply, it's very helpful.

When creating the installer with myHack, use a 10.9.4 InstallESD image so you can skip over any updates. 

That's what I missed, I used this same guide and the 10.9 image instead of using the 10.9.4.. It seems obvious now but I didn't know that we could find 10.9.4 images... 

I'll create a time machine and try a new fresh install with this image and see what happens. 

Unfortunately, I have an i5 so my DSDT may differ from yours but is that so different ?

Anyway, I'll try all this, thank you.

Does the 10.9.0 image work for you?  Before the update?  If so, very interesting that an update breaks it.  And also worth keeping in mind that a new install of 10.9.4 might break it similarly.  In other words, whatever might have changed from 10.9.0 to 10.9.2 probably didn't revert when going to 10.9.4  Apple doesn't undo stuff very often that I'm aware. 

I think the bigger deal is the i5.  Yes, I think that probably is the issue.  If you can boot windows or linux on your computer, you could run the DSDT editor and extract from there.  Then you could do the patching.  The patching isn't too bad.  Perhaps someone else could suggest whether the SSDT would need to be changed too for a processor change?