E6410 nVidia - Yosemite Help Thread

v3ct0r

Hello all,

I'd like to apologize for not being able to help many of you as much as I'd like these past few months. I've been extremely busy with life :-P .

Thank you for those of you that have posted about the 10.10.3 update and PlutoDelic for working through a Clover install. I hope to try it out soon, as my E6410 is currently "out of order" (my dual boot got messed up and I haven't had a chance to fix it :-P ).

Keep up the good work guys!

Hey PlutoDelic, if you want me to be a guinea pig on your guide, let me know. I have yet to make a booting Yosemite drive even though I had no real issues with Patel4Prez first two guides for this machine, I have had several different installs running on it at different times don't understand why I can't get this one to work.

I've installed OSX on at least six different machines, using everything from a distro to tonycrap installs to mostly stock chameleon, I'm not a kext editing master but I know my way around in a pinch.  I have a HD caddy in my machine for my Carbon Copy Cloner backup, always helps to have a second booting disk when the first one goes south.

no need for experimental testing as it really works, but the way it works is weird...i have pin pointed everything in here, nothing concrete of a guide yet. Most of the tips came from a thread i've posted at InsanelyMac, the last few inputs really progressed this research.

If you are comfortable with clover, it wont take more then 10 minutes to figure out what i did, but i just cant put a guide on without knowing why the UEFI is behaving this certain way.

Do you plan to Dual Boot by any chance?

Probably at some point, I have a 100gb partition on the secondary drive set aside as a possible secondary OS drive.  My main drive is a 120gb SSD so I don't really intend any dual boot with that drive, not a lot of free space.  I will check out your clover info again when I get a chance and see if I can make it work.

In my utmost honest opinion, hands off from dual booting on the same drive. I removed my OS X drive when i installed WIN, and the same from the other side, just so i dont touch their boot factors. My plan previously was to include both in Clover somehow, now i just split them in UEFI (but nothing escapes clover :P). I found that Windows can screw things up for OS X, especially that it touched the MBR stuff now (seriously, i have no idea why).

Wait another week at least if you need a full guide for Clover, i am still fighting with a few anomalies, for some reason my Ethernet disappeared.

UEFI seems full of surprises

For whatever reason, Ethernet decided to show up. Battery readings are a bit better but still with break ups on reading (X on battery appears less frequently). The graphics driver update trick i found out before does not work, and sometimes it even boots as it doesnt have any kext at all. The built-in graphics kext however underperforms comparing to Legacy boot, and i am not sure why this would make any difference.

Do DSDT stuff matter when switching from Legacy to UEFI???

So I'm new to Mac, never messed with one before, but I've been working on dos and windows computers since before windows.

I've put about 40 hours into attempting to install Yosemite on my E6510 using patel4prez's guide with no success.  I keep getting a kernal panic right after the apple appears on the installation screen.  Here is what I've done.

Initially the zip file said that DiskMaker X was corrupt and I should move it to the trash so I re-downloaded that seperately.  Got the kernal panic.  Went in to the package contents and noticed that under scripts the main script was different than the one I downloaded here so I copied the script from patel's package to the one I downloaded but it didn't help anything.

I've googled and googled and have found many references to using various boot flags, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to enter boot flags.  When the machine first boots to the usb, I get a spining thing in the upper left which goes away and I get a light gray screen with a pic of a hard drive labled E6410Y and a message saying press any key to enter options or something.  So I press a key and the timer stops.  It's my understanding that here I can either start typing or press the space bar and start typing the boot flags but the only keys that seem to do anything on this screen are the down arrow (which brings up a menu of 10 or so options including verbose, single-user, ignore cache, help, etc) and I can navigate that menu fine or press space or esc to exit the menu.

I've tried all of the options and still can't find a way to enter boot flags.  I can't find a way to get past the kernal panic.  I've googled and tried everything I can think of.  Anyone have any more ideas?  (Yes I've reset the bios many times following the instructions).  I'll take a video of the verbose mode and maybe that will give someone a clue as to what's going on.

Johnm, once you stop the countdown on the white screen that shows your boot drive, when you type the characters should appear in the bottom left corner of the screen.  It's pretty small and hard to see, but should be there.  Just type the -v -x or whatever you trying to put in and hit enter.