Yosemite Installation Guide - Latitude E5440 Intel i5 - Clover UEFI

jorgexgb

post-69017-0-49214700-1417659817_thumb.png

This is a guide on how to install Yosemite on a Dell Latitude E5440 (2014 version) with Intel HD 4400 Graphics, i5 Processor and Clover UEFI as bootloader. 

Special thanks to Herve, JakeLo, serotizm, and nguyenmac which provided a very useful guide and which this guide takes a lot of info from:

Requirements:

- Yosemite App downloaded to /Applications directory on your mac

- CloverUEFI.zip files located on attachments below

- AppleHDA.kext.zip located on attachments below

USB Installer Preparation:

1. Prepare a USB with 8GB or more, format by Disk Utility:

- Partition Layout: 2 Partitions

- 1st Partition: Name CLOVER, Format: MS-DOS (FAT), Size: >300MB

- 2nd Partition: Name MacUSB, Format: Mac OS Extended (Journaled), Size: >7GB

- Options: Master Boot Record

12475004833_baec2d51ba_o.jpg

- Download the CloverUEFI.zip files and copy the whole directory into the CLOVER partition in your USB.

2. Create Yosemite Installer partition (need a Mac),

- Download Yosemite Install app from AppStore.

- Enable Hidden Files to be shown by opening up a terminal and running the following command:

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles YES 

- Hold 'alt' on your keyboard, then right click on the Finder icon in the dock and click Relaunch.

- Right click to Yosemite Install app > Show Package Contents > Contents > Shared Support and open InstallESD.dmg

- Open OS X Install ESD partition, open BaseSystem.dmg (hidden file)

- Use Disk Utility to clone OS X Base System to MacUSB partition.

Ub9sEsy.png

- Rename the newly created/restored "OS X Base System" partition in your USB to "Install OS X Yosemite"

- Go to System/Installation of "Install OS X Yosemite" and delete the alias “Packagesâ€, then go to “OS X Install ESD†partition, copy the “Packages†folder to System/Installation of "Install OS X Yosemite"

- Copy BaseSystem.dmg and BaseSystem.chunklist (hidden files) from "OS X Install ESD" to "Install OS X Yosemite" (on your USB)

You can hide the hidden files again in your mac by running the following command from a terminal window and relaunching Finder:

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles NO

BIOS Preparation

- Enable UEFI Boot Option

- Set SATA to AHCI

- Disable Legacy Boot Option

- Disable "Wake on LAN"

- Make sure Data Execution Prevention is enabled

- Plug your USB to the laptop

Yosemite Installation

- Upon turning the laptop on, press F12 to enter the one-time boot up menu

- Choose to boot from your USB 

- Once Clover Boot Menu appears, choose "Boot OS X from Install OS X Yosemite" and press enter. Already the config.plist supplied on the zip file is configured with the boot-arguments that worked for me. 

- Press spacebar if a nagging screen about Mouse/keyboard appears. Install screen will appear, use Disk Utility to format your drive as GPT, create a Mac OS X Extended (Journaled) partition and install Yosemite to your formatted partition.

- Restart once the installation finishes

- Boot from your USB again.

- Once in the Clover Boot Menu, PRESS F4, and then select to boot from the partition you created and installed OS X on the previous steps.

- If all is good and the force is strong with you, it should boot up. Now you can create your account and configure the settings.

Post Installation

For this part we will install the Clover Bootloader on the hard drive where Yosemite is installed, and since the USB you used worked to boot up, its best to use these same files for the permanent bootloader. 

- Open a Terminal window a run the following command:

diskutil list 

and then take note of the IDENTIFIER of the EFI partition from the main hard drive where Yosemite is installed, and run the following command:

newfs_msdos -v EFI -F 32 /dev/rIDENTIFIER

using the IDENTIFIER from your EFI Partition. Don't forget the "r" before your IDENTIFIER

- Make sure Disk Utility is closed

- Open a Terminal Window and run the following command:

defaults write com.apple.DiskUtility DUDebugMenuEnabled 1

- Open Disk Utility 

- You will now see a "Debug" menu in the top menu option

post-69017-0-35467200-1417649822_thumb.png

- Enable the "Show every Partition" option

- Now on the list of partitions you will see an "EFI" Partition under your main hard drive. Right click on it and choose to mount it.

- Go to the EFI partition we just mounted and copy all the contents of your CLOVER partition to the root of the EFI partition. 

- Remove your USB and reboot.

- You should now be able to see the Clover Menu without having the USB on your computer. Before selecting to boot up from your partition, PRESS F4 (only this time is needed...), and select your partition and press ENTER.

- Yosemite should boot up now.

Hope this helps!!

Best Regards,

jorgexgb

AppleHDA.kext.zip

CloverUEFI.zip

• Like 3

I am getting no where with my post-install of 10.10.2 Clover and need some help.  For the install followed RehabMan's guide.

Here is my set-up:

• System: Dell Latitude e5440
  • CPU: Intel i5-4310U
  • Graphics: Intel HD 4400, 1366x768 (ghetto graphics with no nvidia)

Here is where I am at:

• Graphics: 1/2 working.  No acceleration and boot screen goes garbled towards the end of the boot.  Nothing I have tried has resolved this.
  • Sound: not working
  • Ethernet: working
  • Keyboard: working
  • Track-pad: not working
  • Sleep: 1/2 working.  The mouse no longer works after sleep and I have to reboot
  • WiFi: known incompatibility and will be buying external Wifi and Bluetooth
  • battery status: working 
  • brightness: not working
  • USB 2.0: working with my USB mouse
  • USB 3.0: haven't gotten there yet
  • HDMI: haven't gotten there yet
  • Webcam: haven't gotten there yet

I am attaching my Clover folder so you can see my config and kexts that I am using.  I have been mainly trying different kexts in Clover, but in trying to load those into SLE using kextswizard I get the same non-working results.  I have tried swapping out my config file as well, but when I do that I lose my mouse support.

I haven't found a good post on how the whole SSDT/DSDT works so I haven't gone down that avenue works.  Though the posts I have read seem to indicate that doing the kexts in Clover does the same thing as mod'ing SSDT/DSDT.  I have been researching things on this site and tonycrapx86 mainly.

Any pointers or shoves in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Edit:  adding the attachment this time

CLOVER.zip