Bios Admin Password Locked

ssprod

Greetings, Just purchased a used D630 (Nvidia) and was looking forward to trying a Yosemite build, however I'm unable to modify any of the bios settings, as it is presently locked to a system security administrative password. I have emailed the person who sold it to me, and have not heard back a reply. Thinking I'd be tricky, I unplugged the cmos battery connector for a few minutes, however this has not solved the issue. Any help on this issue would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much. ssprod

Some laptops require the cmos battery to maintain the bios password. It's worth trying removing the battery for a couple of minutes and then plugging it back in to see if that clears the password. From memory the battery is a little coin cell underneath the keyboard with a little plug onto the motherboard.

Do you get a prompt message which contains the service tag - something like 123545-1234?

• Administrators

After verification, once updated to BIOS A18/A19, D630 laptops get a -3A5B system number trailer. With previous BIOS versions up to A17, the trailer tag is -595B.

The BIOS password generator tool only supports D630 system numbers ending in -595B. In addition, unlocking passwords obtained with -595B don't work in BIOS A18/A19. You must downgrade to BIOS version no higher than A17 to be able to unlock your password.

I'm now sticking to that version and I suggest everyone does the same. BIOS versions A18/A19 do not bring any new features anyway.

• Like 1