Upgrade E6230 from Yosemite to Mavericks or El Capitain

Senenmut

Hi,

Last year I installed Yosemite on my E6230. It was fun to do, but it took a lot of time to get everything working. 

Is there a way to upgrade my current installation to Mavericks or even El Capitain? If so, is there a way to do that without starting from scratch?

• Administrators

1st of all, Mavericks would be a "downgrade" since it preceded Yosemite. You can "upgrade" an existing installation by doing a fresh installation over the existing one. The new OS will overwrite the existing installation but will retain all applications and user & data files.

El Capitan 10.11 is only at beta stage at the moment, so you may want to wait until it's officially released before you install it. I also recommend you make a full back of your existing Yosemite installation (a partition image for instance or a disk clone) before you start anything.

You can "upgrade" an existing installation by doing a fresh installation over the existing one. The new OS will overwrite the existing installation but will retain all applications and user & data files.

It means that I follow the guide but skip the part when formatting the HDD? What if previous instalation uses Chameleon and the new one uses Clover?