[Solved] OSXL threatened - Help us choose

Leon

Help us choose...  

162 members have voted

1. 1. What should we choose ?

• I have just donated to [email protected] - Now go buy the Copyright Removal option
    • Just add the damn copyright and be done with it
    • WTF?, Change the forum software - even if it means downtime
    • Whatever, let them close down OSXL

• Administrators

Thank you very much :)

Yes, in time we will need all the help for building a new platform - we'll need people with php/css skills - but for now you have helped where you could help - you like the others who have donated and helped keep osxl online.

You've used their software for quite some time and the community has benefitted from it. It has come to light that either they have changed their license agreement or the site has failed to adhere to all aspects of the license agreement.

The answer is quite simple, you either accept the changes and do what is required, or you change the software vendor you use.

That is just how software is.

I kind of like the idea of paying (and would donate $25 US if you go that route) or adding the copyright (which I voted for because my consulting income is down and $25 is $25) and then looking into other software assuming you can preserve all the existing topics and messages.

You should buy the Copyright Removal option,

also i would recommend  to start with migration to another platform. maybe SMF forum.

PS:

Sorry but i can't donate at this moment (As i live in 3rd world country and it will take a while before the bank can renew my credit card.)

hope you understand.

• Administrators

You are right that just migrating to another piece of software is not as easy as it sounds, its takes planing .. lots of planing - and the cost in terms of time is high.

While we properly could add the copyright text - then one should know it creates a new situation and it benefits invision more than us.

1) In the world of SEO and Google - Link is power - as mentioned before, if we add a link to the footer.. it will be shown on ALL pages, profile pages, posts.. everywhere.. that creates about 100-200.000 links to their domain from hours... whats the big deal you might ask.

The big deal is that we essentially in terms of google help their domain advance even more and we transfer "link power" to them - in googles world - you could say that our sites becomes inter connected - and we (osxlatitude.com) shows that their domain is really important to ours (relative search).

Since their site is NOT relative to ours in terms of content or pagerank might even drop because its abuse of linking - the two sites are simply not relative enough - for us, this is mad.. for them.. its good.

If this was insanelymac (as in linking to them) .. or even apple.. or something other osx site it wouldent be a problem - but for us.. it is.

• Administrators

In terms of donations.. donate what you feel is right, if we are not going (aka we dont make the mark) option to buy the license package, then logically - we will refund everyone (- whatever nasty fee paypal takes)

Again, i thank you everyone who is helping is solve this.