Refined ALPS TouchPad driver

Dr. Hurt

Here are my experiences:

With the kext from post 15 the trackstick speed is very fast compared to the trackpad

The kext from post 20 the trackpad is not working anymore after i'm using the trackstick once

Strange thing, with all your kexts the battery menu-status disappears and can't be enabled, the energy saver prefpane shows me current charge 0%

Maybe Jake Lo can confirm this behaviour

• Like 1

I'M OPTIMISTIC :D

@Jake Lo: Ignore test2, try this instead.

@wern: The touchpad probably died because It was being divided by 64 (8x8). My modifications have absolutely nothing to do with the battery status. It could be due to the updated base of the driver (rehabman's work). My battery status is working perfectly using ACPIBatteryManager.kext

test3 changes:

- Trackstick speed division is now completely separate from touchpad.

- side scroll works perfectly now.

test3.zip

Touchpad is working now, side scrolling too, but the Trackstick scrolling speed is to fast

Just to confirm: Touchpad and Trackstick are both working with normal speed. Trackstick scrolling is too fast. 

I thought Trackstick scrolling was broken so I didn't apply the divisor to it. That should be an easy fix.

I'll wait for Jake Lo confirmation, then apply divisor to Trackstick scrolling, commit all changes to github and make a "Release Two" tomorrow.

• Moderators

Sorry for the long delay and thanks for the updates.

Here's my observation:

Tested both Test3 and R2RC1. R2RC1 is a better version, fixed the scrolling speed, I believe is the only difference between the two. So the following findings are based on R2RC1.

E6220 (touchpad only) /E6420/E6520 - V3 id E7=0x73 0x02 0x64, EC=0x88 0x07 0x9d

- Keyboard/Touchpad/Trackstick works

- Side Scrolling works on touchpad

- Trackstick movement is still a bit fast (example. it take a little effort to hit the target with the cursor, it over shoots it by very little, but manageable)

- 2 finger scrolling is still hard to manage, still right click more than scrolling, I pretty much give up on that and use the side scrolling which works great!

E6230 (Touchpad only) /E6430/E6530 - V3 id E7=0x73 0x03 0x0a, EC=0x88 0x08 0x1d

Both test3 and R2RC1 , Touchpad not working, but the touchpad left and right mouse is working.

-Trackstick is working

E7240 (Touchpad only)/E7440 - V3 id E7=0x73 0x03 0x0a, EC=0x88 0x08 0x22

- Keyboard/Trackstick works

- Touchpad is not working, but the left and mouse is working.

- Trackstick movement is still a bit fast (example. it take a little effort to hit the target with the cursor, it over shoots it by very little, but manageable)

Not sure what changed since Test1, but touchpad/trackstick was working on all the models mentioned above. Thanks for your effort thus far.

Note: not tested on V7

Note2: Wern, no issue with Battery Status

Note3: I think this is Sontrg's source.

I have a V3 id E7=0x73 0x02 0x64, EC=0x88 0x07 0x9d and 2-finger scroll is working perfectly. Maybe wern (same id) can can give us feedback about that.

I haven't done much changes since test.zip!!!

I find it really strange that the two models with the same id are behaving differently. They are using the exact same code.

- Do you have any other touchpad/mouse kexts installed? Or utilities that could possibly interfere such as smoothmouse?

- Use this to install kexts: http://mac.softpedia.com/get/System-Utilities/iKext.shtml(my work so I trust that it removes old kexts and doesn't mess up caches like other utils)

- If it doesn't work on first reboot, connect a USB mouse and reboot again. It did that for me a couple of times while testing.

Before I do any changes: Could you please try "test1" again to confirm that everything still works, then "test2" to try to narrow down where things went wrong.

Only test the Rushmore systems (EC=0x88 0x08)

For time's sake, don't test the systems with V7 or V3 id E7=0x73 0x02 0x64, EC=0x88 0x07 0x9d (we already know how those work).

PS. I'll add a trackstick divisor to the plist later so that you can have control over how fast you want it to be.

Only a quick test here, R2RC1 is ok, no inertia scrolling (which value should we change).

I'm not really using the trackstick but it works.

2 finger scrolling is ok if you scroll with the middle finger and ring finger side by side, if you scroll with the fore finger and middle finger you made right clicks.

The most annoying thing is the pointer movement after finger lift, the same behavior on Linux

@Jake Lo:

Try editing the plist of R2RC with fingerz=30, scrollresolution & resolution=400, divisorx, divisory=2

Those are pretty much the only changes I remember after test.zip (the first one).

@wern:

Keep in mind that inertia scrolling only works with 2-finger scrolling.

And yes, the pointer movement is caused by the Linux driver (even on Linux). Things are better on OS X though due to rehabman's simpleaverage smoothing.

• Moderators

Confirmed Test1 on E6230 (Touchpad only) /E6430/E6530 - V3 id E7=0x73 0x03 0x0a, EC=0x88 0x08 0x1d

-Keyboard/Touchpad/Trackstick works as described in earlier post

Test2 on E6230 (Touchpad only) /E6430/E6530 - V3 id E7=0x73 0x03 0x0a, EC=0x88 0x08 0x1d

-Touchpad stopped working

-Trackstick cursor jumped when finger lifted

R2RC1 with modded plist on E6430/E6530 - V3 id E7=0x73 0x03 0x0a, EC=0x88 0x08 0x1d

-Keyboard working

Trackstick is working 

-Touchpad is working again!

-Side scrolling working

-2 finger also working, but using Wern's way (middle + ring finger) scrolling works way better. Actually works better than side scrolling (LOL)

E7240 (Touchpad only)/E7440 - V3 id E7=0x73 0x03 0x0a, EC=0x88 0x08 0x22

-Same result as E6430 with modded kexts

Note: Not tested on E6230 without the trackstick. Will test when I get back to the office.

Note2: Installed on V7, Keyboard/Trackpad/Trackstick works as regular mouse, no scrolling.

• Like 1