Refined ALPS TouchPad driver

Dr. Hurt

R2RC2

Changes:

- Re-did some of the changes I reverted for test1. Hopefully that won't break it again!!

- Fixed the plist defaults

- Small cleanup

I'll postpone the data decay to R3 since its a bit of work and needs some testing.

If all goes well, final changes will be committed and first post will be updated.

R2RC2.zip

• Like 1

R2RC2 also works for me, no inertia scrolling, trackstick is to fast for me.

2 finger scrolling with fore + middle finger is ok if the fingers are a bit apart

Trackpad pointer movement is better.

Thanks Dr. Hurt

• Like 1

First post updated:

R2, changelog, pushed commits to github (messy, I know)

--------

As for trackstick, it's currently being divided by 8. How much slower should I make it? 

For example, I could divide by 12 instead and make is 1.5x slower (compared to R2), or divide by 16 and make it 2x slower.

Did 2-finger scroll work better for you with the old driver? My code is based on Linux 4.1. I could downgrade to Linux 3.9 (like bpedman's version).

Overall, what do you think of this driver? How does it compare to the old one? What's gotten better, what's gotten worse?

---------------------

Data decay is not coming out as nice as I hoped, and I'm having trouble understanding/tweaking it due to lack of documentation.

In other news, I have ported a huge chunk of V7 code so I might be able to post an alpha version sometime soon. V7 doesn't share any code with older versions which is making the job a nightmare. I'm resorting to very dirty hacks (for now), hoping to at least get it to load. We'll see. :D

V7 alpha is here:

WARNING:

This is extremely likely to crash. It's incomplete, contains very messy code, and ugly work arounds.

Use only with V7 systems for now.

The most I'm hoping for at this stage is that the system boots without a kernel panic :')

Search the log (console.app) for:

- ALPS touchpad driver loaded

- Found V7

- initialization complete

Good Luck

V7alpha1.zip

First post updated:

R2, changelog, pushed commits to github (messy, I know)

--------

As for trackstick, it's currently being divided by 8. How much slower should I make it? 

For example, I could divide by 12 instead and make is 1.5x slower (compared to R2), or divide by 16 and make it 2x slower.

I think 2x slower or more is better, i've changed the resolution from 400 to 1600 and it seems to be ok for me

Did 2-finger scroll work better for you with the old driver? My code is based on Linux 4.1. I could downgrade to Linux 3.9 (like bpedman's version).

For me 2 finger scrolling is the same beside inertia

Overall, what do you think of this driver? How does it compare to the old one? What's gotten better, what's gotten worse?

On this driver pointer movement after finger lifted is better, i'm using an Apple Trackpad on my desktop with very smooth inertia scrolling!, not comparable with the old driver but it works

• Moderators

V7Alpha1 test:

8/26/15 1:18:44.000 PM kernel[0]: VoodooPS2 ALPS TouchPad Driver loaded...

8/26/15 1:18:44.000 PM kernel[0]: Found an ALPS V7 TouchPad...VoodooPS2Mouse Version 2.8.15 loaded...
8/26/15 1:18:44.000 PM kernel[0]: Found an ALPS V7 TouchPad...ApplePS2ALPSGlidePoint: Device initialization failed. Touchpad probably won't work

Keyboard/Trackstick/Trackpad all works even though log shows it's not initialized
Tracksticks works fine but NO scrolling - default speed is not very fast but could be adjusted.
Trackpad works - no Inertia, no side scrolling
  • Like 1

• Moderators

It works as a touchpad, 2 finger scrolling works. Touchpad settings in preferences works. Seems 2 finger scrolling works with ApplePS2Controller v1.5 as well, but also no trackstick scrolling.

Removing VoodooPS2mouse from plugin and reinstall cause to lose all functionality. Had to use external USB Keyboard and mouse to get back on.

Aug 26 15:12:01 localhost kernel[0]: VoodooPS2 ALPS TouchPad Driver loaded...
Aug 26 15:12:01 localhost kernel[0]: Found an ALPS V7 TouchPad...ApplePS2Controller: Timed out on mouse input stream.
Aug 26 15:12:01 localhost kernel[0]: Found an ALPS V7 TouchPad...ApplePS2ALPSGlidePoint: Device initialization failed. Touchpad probably won't work
Aug 26 15:16:25 localhost kernel[0]: VoodooPS2 ALPS TouchPad Driver loaded...
Aug 26 15:16:25 localhost kernel[0]: Found an ALPS V7 TouchPad...ApplePS2Controller: Timed out on mouse input stream.
Aug 26 15:16:25 localhost kernel[0]: Found an ALPS V7 TouchPad...ApplePS2ALPSGlidePoint: Device initialization failed. Touchpad probably won't work