Latitude 3540 El Capitan issues

Platinum_one

Hi followed the guide to the letter, When trying to boot from UEFI USB - USB is not listed as a boot option.  Tried everything mentioned in other forums here - reset bios to defaults then change the bios UEFI settings.  Using 3440 boot files posted as they are almost identical with exception of Display size.  The 3540 uses HD4400 for video as well. Using clover V2.3 r3354 . Any help appreciated!! Tried with multiple USB devices as well.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the replies, I finally got it to work. I had not included all of the efi files required.  I managed to get it installed and rebooted - everything looked fine (had no network or wifi) and completed the post installation but now I only get grey screen when I try and boot from Hard drive (clover loads and when I select boot MAC OS X).  Any suggestions?

Okay so I have made some progress.  I wanted the laptop to dual boot windows 7 and El Capitan using UEFI. Originally I had installed Win 7 64SP1 pro (dell OEM) in legacy mode.  I backed up the windows installation and reinstalled using UEFI and the restored windows 7 - only the NTFS volume nothing else and windows 7 worked fine. But I could not get clover to see the windows installation.  I could see it from the USB El Capitan boot installer but not from hard disk. Clover would not even start up if I booted from the SSD, I would only see the windows boot manager in the bios setup as well. Well after some research I found that by renaming bootmgrw.efi to bootmgrw-orig.efi in the microsoft/boot directory under the EFI volume. That fixed the issue and I could boot to either Mac OS or WIndows just in case someone else is looking to figure this problem out.  I used clover configuration tool to mount the EFI volume to make the change.  Still have some work to do to make clover pretty but that is minor. I have El Capitan working,  but I have very few devices. Bluetooth and camera work.  No network, wifi, SD card, audio etc.. Video card shows up as a 4600 but I see from others that that is normal.  I have tried both of the 3440 files that I found on this site to get things working but not having any luck.  Followed the installation guide to the letter.  could not run one of the scripts since it required internet. Not sure what I should do now, what should my next steps be? 

Spec wise the laptop is a latitude 3540 with i5-4200U CPU, 8G Ram, 120G SSD, HD4400, Realtek PCIe GBE Ethernet, Dell 1705 Wireless

I have attached the Origin files from clover in hopes that it may help.

Thanks for any assistance

Origin.zip

• Moderators

Use Inspiron 5558 HD4400 bootpack instead or just install RealtekRTL8100 for ethernet. I'll get your DSDT patch.

Need to know what audio codec you have in that system, is it ALC255 or ALC283 or other?

Upload the IOReg so I could determine where to patch for the SD card reader.

Can you get a screenshot of the devices with DPCIManager? screenshot of status and PCIList

Your wireless card is not support although Bluetooth will work. You'll need to replace it.

Unsupported:

Vendor  Model         Format      Ven-Dev id   Chip        Rate    SL ML Mav Yos Cap OOB   Kext (driver)

Dell     DW1705          1/2 Mini PCIe   168c-0036    AR9565          B/G/N    N  N  N   N    N   N   N     

Okay got all of the files together.  The Realtek chip is a ALC3223.  I tried the Realtek Kext but that didn't work with my card. I have a few wireless cards around,  but what is the best or most compatible card I can use.  I have a DW1390 I can use while I order another one that supports higher speeds.

DPCIManager screen shots.zip

IoREG-3540.ioreg.zip

Thanks for all your help.

• Moderators

DW1390 should work OOB, if you want something faster, try DW1550, but will require kexts and some patching.

Here use this

Replace the file and folders to your current Clover folder.

Your IOReg and screenshot didn't show it has a SD card reader though.

Thanks everything is working great.   I found a couple of BCM4322 cards around but unfortunately full height not mini-pci  So I am thinking of ordering DW1510 as the DW1550 has Bluetooth with it as well and I already have Bluetooth. The card reader didn't show up because it is a Realtek USB 2.0 and needed a SD card inserted. I copied a screen shot of the system info screen as well as another ioreg file.

Thanks again!

3540-ioreg.zip

Screen Shot 2016-03-15 at 2.38.49 PM.zip