[solved] E5420 i5 SandyBridge El Capitan problem booting into installer

ndog

• Moderators

In EFI/Clover/Kexts/Other/LE, there are a couple of kexts. Copy them to /Library/Extensions. Click Ok when errors popup.

Then launch the terminal and run the following commands and reboot. You should have sound then.

sudo chmod -Rf 755 /L*/E*

sudo chown -Rf 0:0 /L*/E*
      sudo touch -f /L*/E*
      sudo chmod -Rf 755 /S*/L*/E*
      sudo chown -Rf 0:0 /S*/L*/E*
      sudo touch -f /S*/L*/E*
      sudo kextcache -Boot -U /

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators

[...]

I couldn't take a screen shot using Shift + Command + 4 ,maybe because the audio is not working? 

[...]

You probably need to use Alt-Shit-4 (window select capture) or Alt-Shit-3 (full screen capture) if you're not getting anywhere with Win-Shit-4 / Win-Shit-3. Or vice-versa. you may simply need to swap keys in the keyboard PrefPane.

It's got absolutely nothing to do with missing audio support.

I was so used to pressing window key + shift + 4 to take a screen shot on my other mackintosh that I didn't realise I had to press alt key instead of window key!

I am pretty happy with this laptop now, I got audio working by using EDP and installing the VoodooHDA kext. I am also dual booting from grub4dos with windows XP and linux. There are sometimes where it hangs instead of shutting down or rebooting and I can't get dual display but its not a priority. I might research into it later if it becomes an issue.

I have one last question, soon I need to buy a replacement WiFi card, is there any you can suggest that is working for Windows XP and El Capitan and E5420? I have come across some WiFi card that wasn't supported on XP anymore, so I hope to avoid it.

PS I made a video of it - https://youtu.be/7seQfIl2eIA

Thanks

Solved - I have a script to automate the USB pen with the steps.

Watch in action here

After installed must perform an initial boot from HDD using -x (safe boot)

After first time GUI load this step is no longer required

create-USB-installer.sh

[...]

I'm trying to install El Capitan on E5420 and getting the same issues as you were... but I'm not sure exactly how to run this script to fix the issue?

I was able to copy the .dsdt and origin folder to get a bootable USB and was able to run the installer.  But... I can't get the installed OS to boot, tried -x now working.... 

I get a panic right after com.apple.xpc.launchhd[1] <Notice>: Extension SDK cache is not present.

• Administrators

That script is a bit specific to the OP's own installation so you'd need literally the exact same settings (partition name, files locations, etc.) for it to work on your own machine.

It'd be far better to understand your issue(s) and eventual fix(es) so that you can get on with things.