E6420 research thread

Stork

Guest wayne

No problem :) I only ever close my screen to move the laptop around. If i have to travel, ill just shut it down. Even on my real Macbook pro, I used it as its annoying that it sleeps EVERY time the lid is closed. Are you able to dim your backlight at all? I can seem to get that function working whatsoever. Im temporarily using a free app called blinds which sort of tinges the screen in a black shade which does indirectly make it seem dimmer ( without actually changing the backlight).

Guest Wayne

Oh one more thing about sleepless. I use the option "Prevent sleep with lid closed, Display will sleep". This keeps it so the screen will actually turn off. Otherwise, it could overheat ( My MBP got very hot anyway ).

Glad I could bring something to the table :)

Hi all, Its me again ( Guest_Wayne ). I actually registered and will help here where I can.

Ok, so now im looking into backlight and volume control. Ive found a few things that could possibly be implemented to give us both of them back. Im looking into the terminal commands to set brightness now.

We can use a program like Quicksilver to assign a script to the brightness / volume buttons. Ive found some possibilities for the volume, and it actually does work, but it still acts the same as using the volume button in the top bar. It changes but doesnt seem to change the actual volume like an applications volume control would. Maybe someone a bit more familiar with the core could lend assistance?

Heres what I have so far for volume Up ( Obviously swap + for - ) to get volume down. There has to be another place other than "Volume Settings " used as the individual applications controls which DO work properly. Im thinking this would work for the backlight too once i figure out the terminal commands for it as well.

set currentVolume to output volume of (get volume settings)

set volume output volume (currentVolume + 2)

EDIT:

I did find an pre-compiled C-script to control brightness but when I execute it via terminal im getting an error. Looking deeper into it. What I DONT get is that the function up/down keys work when I see the apple logo initially while its booting.

http://mattdanger.net/2008/12/adjust-mac-os-x-display-brightness-from-the-terminal/

Upon execution I get error : ./brightness: failed to set brightness of display 0x28d512c0 (error -536

I have built my first Hackintosh on a E6420 using this guide and everything went really well. The problem I seem to be having is that if I do not have a USB keyboard plugged in keeps complaining no bluetooth keyboard found.

Of course this can be annoying since it is a laptop, I do not want to have to carry around a keyboard with me.

Oh wow thanks, as you can tell I am also a newb to OSX / Mac in general.

I guess the only thing that does not appear to be working on my setup is sleep, which from what I read is an on-going problem which will more than likley be fixed at some point.

can anyone give me any pointers to what else I should check?

Video - 1600x900

Audio Works

Cam Works

Speaker up/down works including mute

internet via ethernet works, I am going to buy the suggested wifi card stork mentioned

thanks!

Oh wow thanks, as you can tell I am also a newb to OSX / Mac in general.

I guess the only thing that does not appear to be working on my setup is sleep, which from what I read is an on-going problem which will more than likley be fixed at some point.

can anyone give me any pointers to what else I should check?

Video - 1600x900

Audio Works

Cam Works

Speaker up/down works including mute

internet via ethernet works, I am going to buy the suggested wifi card stork mentioned

thanks!

If you download sleepless ( its freeware ), you will be able to at least shut the lid without getting stuck in sleep. Also, my screen isnt dimming. I use Shades to darken the screen which at least makes it appear dim. It also is free.

Guest Duc

Hello,

Did any of you guys experience the freeze with your osx install? I used to have a hackintosh laptop with GTX 460M card and the system is freezed randomly (system completely not responding except for mouse movement). Looking forward to buy a new E6520 but the NVS 4200M card seems belong the Fermi series which has the notorious fermi freeze problem with OSX: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=247692

Hello,

I have replaced wifi with the Atheros AR5B95, there's a list of networks, I can connect, but no Internet connection, cable works fine.

Any suggestion, that's the last thing I need to fix?

Thanks in advance

Go to open network preference -> turn wifi off -> turn wifi on

and then try to connect again. May have to try a few times or reboot again to work successfully.

Stork