E6420 research thread

Stork

Hello,

For the owners of a Dell E6420 with the intel HD 3000 only. I've just managed to get the LCD display to work at native resolution in 10.7.2 by adding the DualLink patch. The driver still hangs every now and then but at least it's a start. HDMI out also seems to be working fine.

I have attached the patched DSDT file just in case someone wishes to test it .

Display override for the internal LCD display also attached with my EDID.

Br,

Mefte

Could you share how to make it work by steps?

Could you share how to make it work by steps?

Hi,

Sorry, I was not online for a while and abandoned the project as the 6420 is my work laptop and has an encrypted Hdd (end point encryption) which does not allow me to multiboot (chameleon, stolen and rebranded) os'es. The short steps are, create an image with lion 10.7 with myhack, an smbios with mb pro 8.1 as platform, in the extra folder my dsdt.aml

My e6420 has the highres screen 1600x900.

I will have to find my usb stick I used for my install, try a new install to a usb HDD and if success I will add the steps I have taken.

Mefte

Ok, found some of the stuff I used before. Have not been able to test as my E6420 is at my work ATM.

Once you finish with the myhack to create an install image on USB stick you should rename the extra folder on the USB stick to extra1 or similar. Use my the extra folder from the zip file and place this on the USB stick.

Start install with usb keyboard, and when asked at the end of the install process what extra folder to use select the one from the USB stick.

Reboot and OSX should start now start with native res.

I got hdmi working by updating to 10.7.3 and editing the hd3000 binaries as described by bcc9 on other forums.

Br,

Mefte

extra.zip

Ok, found some of the stuff I used before. Have not been able to test as my E6420 is at my work ATM.

Once you finish with the myhack to create an install image on USB stick you should rename the extra folder on the USB stick to extra1 or similar. Use my the extra folder from the zip file and place this on the USB stick.

Start install with usb keyboard, and when asked at the end of the install process what extra folder to use select the one from the USB stick.

Reboot and OSX should start now start with native res.

I got hdmi working by updating to 10.7.3 and editing the hd3000 binaries as described by bcc9 on other forums.

Br,

Mefte

Well, this has been an adventure for me to say the least. The DSDT you provided gave me the high res on my HD3000 that I have been searching for! Bad news, it kills my USB. Any thoughts?

Well, this has been an adventure for me to say the least. The DSDT you provided gave me the high res on my HD3000 that I have been searching for! Bad news, it kills my USB. Any thoughts?

Hi,

I never had any trouble with USB using the dsdt file but I have made so many versions and edits that I lost track of all changes..... Have you also tried the previous one in this post? It has minimal edits and is very close to original.

Br,

Mefte

Hi all,

I'm new in this world. I have a Dell Latitude E6420 with the intel HD3000. I have tried to install Lion following the Mefte instructions, using myHacks version 3.1.2 but I did even get to the installation software. I already check the AHCI configured in the BIOS. It start from the USB but then I got a kernel panic with the Apple Message that I need to restart my machine.

The weird part is if I use the Extra that the myhack install by default It's gets a little further but freeze in the white Apple logo.

Do I missing something? Is it important the case sensitive name in the extra folder files?

Is there any other way to install it?

Thanks for your help

Hi Syonagar

Actually I made more progress installing Mountain Lion. The graphic card works out of the box. But I'm still having some problems with the wireless.

I opened another topic because this is for LION. The URL is

https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/1668-mountain-lion-dell-latitude-e6420-intel-hd3000/

There you can find what I have done and the status now. It's up and running with some details :P

Any help is really appreciate.

Thanks in advance.

I have tried it many times with no rersult.

First I get:Wi-Fi does not have an IP address and cannot connect to the Internet.

And then>

Wi-Fi has the self-assigned IP address 169.254.140.11 and will not be able to connect to the Internet.

Anyu ideas?

That's really the last thing I neen to solve.

Thanks

I was having the exact same problem with this Atheros card, and have nailed it down to an issue with 802.11n support. (If you're connecting to your home router, hold Alt and click the wireless icon to see your detailed connection info, almost guaranteed you're connected on an N network.) Change your router's settings to 802.11g only and watch it connect with no problems.

Spent a very long time trying to figure out why in some buildings at work I got a connection fine, and in others I was out of luck. It wasn't until I was in a building that had both a G and an N access point equidistant from each other that I realized it, because half the time I was connecting to the G and getting on, and the other half I was connecting to the N and getting the 169.254 autoassigned IP. Now I know the cause, but still working on the solution. I might just buy a different card ;)

Too bad OS X won't let you specify a BSSID to connect to!