E6420 research thread

Stork

• Moderators

Hi iMick,

I now have a working E6420 with DSDT and SSDT and sleep is working! 

Specs:

i5 2520M

HD 3000 Graphics 1366x768

4gb RAM

128 SSD drive

BIOS A14

Mountain Lion 10.8.3

What's working:

Audio

Webcam

Wireless - rebranded DW1510

HD Graphics 3000 - QE/CI

Haven't try HDMI

Not working fully:

SDHC works but gets error after waking from sleep "This disk you inserted was not readable by this computer" even though no sd card is inserted, so I remove the voodoosdhc.kext

Vga port works but needs tinkering

Let's see if we could get this onto EDP

E6420HD3000.zip

Hi iMick,

I now have a working E6420 with DSDT and SSDT and sleep is working! 

Specs:

i5 2520M

HD 3000 Graphics 1366x768

4gb RAM

128 SSD drive

BIOS A14

Mountain Lion 10.8.3

What's working:

Audio

Webcam

Wireless - rebranded DW1510

HD Graphics 3000 - QE/CI

Haven't try HDMI

Not working fully:

SDHC works but gets error after waking from sleep "This disk you inserted was not readable by this computer" even though no sd card is inserted, so I remove the voodoosdhc.kext

Vga port works but needs tinkering

Let's see if we could get this onto EDP

Jake Lo, is there any problems with the ethernet adapter? I did remove the factory dell wireless minipci card, and installed one I had laying around that got removed from my apple tv1, and that one worked out of the box without any problems.

I make the question because I'm having issues using the card, sometimes it works, other times it doesnt. For example, if I start the computer with the cable connected to the switch, it will work, but if I remove the cable and connect the computer to another device serving DHCP, the card will not get DHCP address, instead it will get an APIPA address. If put a static ip address, sometimes it will work, sometimes it wont. Also, sometimes the device will appear like it's connected, even if there aren't any cables connected to the ethernet port on the computer.

I'd like to see if there's anything I can do to improve on this.

right now, for example, I was trying to connect to a cisco ATA to configure it, and it came like this after I put a static address, and disconnected the cable:

screenshot20130403at104.png

It stays like the device is connected, even after it had the cable removed.

Yes. As soon as I re-add the adapters and apply, the Ethernet adapter will show that it's connected (green) even though no network cable is connected.

For me this appears to be completely random, i.e. sometimes it will appear green, other times will appear orange. But, if I keep on removing and re-adding the ethernet interface it will work fine; I guess that's the only workaround for now. I need a ethernet port, I havent switched to a macbook air I have here just because of this, but I dont mind having a faster processor this dell has :)

PD. I believe that the ethernet works fine and reports the right status if you connect it to a switch or whatever you'll be using it, at least thats what happens on my case.