E6420 research thread

Stork

All was working fine in 10.8.1 update to 10.8.2 killed the Graphics Card for me.

Same with 10.7.5 update to 10.7.4 - Update killed GPU.

I am back to 10.7.4 and 10.8.1 for my System.

Dell Latitude E6420 - i7 2720QM - NVS 4200M :(

10.8.2 is urgently required as this will be the minimum requirement for the next tons

off applications and features...

Any ideas?

Save boot works btw.

Hi

I've followed this guide and have a 99% functioning 10.7 Lion install on my E6420.

Sound works (albeit the controls on the side don't do anything to the actual sound, although the volume control on the scrren pops up)

Screen extension via HDMI works (dont think sound works though over hdmi)

am running in full resolution etc.

Now the issue that i'm having is with the WIFI card. I ordered a AR5B95H as in the first post, installed it, and then used kextbeast to install the kext attached to this thread. (think it was link 5 in the 1st post).

The WIFI indicator appeared on the top bar, and would alternate between "WIFI:SEARCHING" and "WIFI:ON". I tried switching wifi on and off and still nothing, I know i have around 8 wifi points near me, 4 of which are 85-100% strength.

Oddly enough when i go into network settings, a wifi connection isn't available, rather it shows up as "Bluetooth PAN" with the blue WIFI sign.

has anyone come across this? any fixes? did i buy the wrong card? I also thought it should come up as "Airport" rather than "WIFI"

Thanks...i'm almost finished and this is the only thing holding me back!

Hi

I've followed this guide and have a 99% functioning 10.7 Lion install on my E6420.

Sound works (albeit the controls on the side don't do anything to the actual sound, although the volume control on the scrren pops up)

Screen extension via HDMI works (dont think sound works though over hdmi)

am running in full resolution etc.

Now the issue that i'm having is with the WIFI card. I ordered a AR5B95H as in the first post, installed it, and then used kextbeast to install the kext attached to this thread. (think it was link 5 in the 1st post).

The WIFI indicator appeared on the top bar, and would alternate between "WIFI:SEARCHING" and "WIFI:ON". I tried switching wifi on and off and still nothing, I know i have around 8 wifi points near me, 4 of which are 85-100% strength.

Oddly enough when i go into network settings, a wifi connection isn't available, rather it shows up as "Bluetooth PAN" with the blue WIFI sign.

has anyone come across this? any fixes? did i buy the wrong card? I also thought it should come up as "Airport" rather than "WIFI"

Thanks...i'm almost finished and this is the only thing holding me back!

The AR5B95H is slightly different from my AR9280 (I believe it is a.k.a. AR9285) but this may be the same problem. The kext that I had been using only had support for Atheros21 (which does not work with 802.11n) and I needed instead to inject Atheros40 support. You can test this by setting your router to b or g-only mode and seeing if it works. (As far as the Bluetooth PAN goes, try just deleting the connection and re-adding it; it should come up as Wi-fi, it won't say Airport.)

I see that these instructions require usage of NullCPU.kext, but in e6420 (DSDT research thread) it says it is possible to run it with Native Power Management. For that the only requirement is proper DSDT (which we have, right?) and SpeedStepper patch (which allows AICPM.kext to load without KP). The original SpeedStepper won't work in non-10.7.2, but here you can get a patch script which works for any AICPMPatch.

Now with all that in place boot hangs after "Waiting for DSMOS...", but there are no KPs. Any ideas how to troubleshoot this?

P.S.

1. For those who have issues with mouse and trackpad going crazy (or not working with PS2 enablers) -> remove Touchpad plugin kext from ApplePS2Controller kext.
  2. For dual boot with Win 7 I'm using Clover v2 UEFI bootloader, since e6420 supports EFI. For that your hard drive needs to be partitioned in GPT.

Now with all that in place boot hangs after "Waiting for DSMOS...", but there are no KPs. Any ideas how to troubleshoot this?

That happens only if I boot with Clover. When I switched back to iboot (chameleon, stolen and rebranded) with Chameleon -> SpeedStep finally started working!! No NullCPU anymore.

P.S. Had to use SSDT.aml from multifail to get it working. GeneratePStates and CStates options had to be turned off.

Booting with Optimus Enabled when all is configured gives SLEEP.... but screen is full of artifacts and problems (unsable!, see my post hereVideo artifacts on HD 3000). Hope thats a hint to actually get it work.

A few updates:

• For Native Power Management in >10.7.2 you'll need AICPMPatch (http://olarila.com/f....php?f=9&t=1003), Drop OEM SSDT, turn off GeneratePStates and CStates in plist and get SSDT from multifail
  • For UEFI boot Clover can be used