Mountain Lion anyone?

Darvinko

Darvinko, your method of installation worked perfectly. Booted up into Mac App Store Mountain Lion. I guess I will narrow down the things that are messed up.

It sees my rebranded Broadcom card nicely, graphics are indeed choppy (no QE/CI) I even tried using the GraphicsEnabler flag, no audio, dead ethernet, no card reader.

I blame it on Safe Boot, but you can't boot into the OS without it.

Darvinko, your method of installation worked perfectly. Booted up into Mac App Store Mountain Lion. I guess I will narrow down the things that are messed up.

It sees my rebranded Broadcom card nicely, graphics are indeed choppy (no QE/CI) I even tried using the GraphicsEnabler flag, no audio, dead ethernet, no card reader.

I blame it on Safe Boot, but you can't boot into the OS without it.

I'm finally going to get some sleep. I tried replacing the AppleAPCIPlatform,.kext with the one I used on the installer, still KP'd. I'm just happy to have a start. If I narrow down and correct the issue, I'll post. I tried replacing the M4300 bookpack with Mariusz 0EDP, to see if there was any improvement, but realized I hadn't removed the M4300 bootpack and had to recreate the bootstick. That's when I decided to call it a day. Let me know if you make any progress.

I too, can confirm that I'm stuck at the same steps as Darvinko and Tengokuu.

Steps I took are similar, only I used the LION boot pack for the E6400/E6500. I did have to remove arch=i386 in the org.chameleon.boot.plist file. Also, I didn't have to replace AppleACPIPlatform.kext. The IOPCIFamily.kext linked above is from netkas site and he states that he modded IOPCIFamily.kext so that you wouldn't have to replace AppleACPIPlatform.kext.

As Tengokuu said, only way to boot is to use the -x switch which gets you into safe boot but most things aren't working. Booting w/o the -x switch looks like it stalls trying to load graphics. Disabled GraphicsEnabler -> no effect. Applied NVEnabler64.kext -> no effect.

Will test further, but thanks for the efforts. I've been stuck trying to even load the ML installer. The trick that lead me past where I was stuck by you guys was to run myFix from myHack.

I too, can confirm that I'm stuck at the same steps as Darvinko and Tengokuu.

Steps I took are similar, only I used the LION boot pack for the E6400/E6500. I did have to remove arch=i386 in the org.chameleon.boot.plist file. Also, I didn't have to replace AppleACPIPlatform.kext. The IOPCIFamily.kext linked above is from netkas site and he states that he modded IOPCIFamily.kext so that you wouldn't have to replace AppleACPIPlatform.kext.

As Tengokuu said, only way to boot is to use the -x switch which gets you into safe boot but most things aren't working. Booting w/o the -x switch looks like it stalls trying to load graphics. Disabled GraphicsEnabler -> no effect. Applied NVEnabler64.kext -> no effect.

Will test further, but thanks for the efforts. I've been stuck trying to even load the ML installer. The trick that lead me past where I was stuck by you guys was to run myFix from myHack.

Thanks for the input. I had replaced the AppleAPCIPlatform.kext and was still having problems. In looking for a replacement for the IOPCIFamily.kext, (needed because of the dependency) I came across several which worked previously (in older versions of Lion and Snow), but didn't bring me success in ML, until I came across the Netkas version, which worked. I noted he said the AppleAPCIPlatform.kext didn't need removal, but since I already had, with success, I left that in my guide. Thanks for letting us know about Graphics, I was going to try NVEnabler64.kext today, that's one I can eliminate. I hope to look into the APCI_SMC_PlatformPlugin as a source, will get back to you if I either confirm or eliminate that as an issue. Thanks for the input!

Hey guys,

First I'd like to give Darvinko a huge thank you; I've been trying to get ML to work since DP3 and couldn't. His method worked the first try!

Now, getting the rest of the system to work:

I have installed multifail 4.6.1 from tonycrapx86.com/downloads (have to register)

I replaced the AppleACPIPlatform.kext from 10.6.7 and Netkas's IOPCIFamily.kext (basically the same ones Darvinko was talking about)

I cleaned up the org.chameleon.boot.plist by removing everything except EthernetBuiltIn=yes, Kernel=mach_kernel, and (for my convenience) Timeout=n

After all that, I rebooted, but this time normally, in verbose mode (-v only; no -x)

It hangs at the following:

[iOBluetoothHCIController][start] -- completed

The line right before the one above is:

DSMOS has arrived

Once again, thank you Darvinko and everyone else who is involved in getting ML on the E6XXX

P.S.

I have an E6400 with a Core 2 Duo (2.8 GHz) and NVIDIA Quadro NVS 160M Graphics. I also have a 30GB SSD and 4GB of ram, if it helps. Previously, this machine ran Snow Leopard and Lion.

• Like 1

Unfortunately, I have not made any progress, nor Have I heard of any from members Tengokuu, dafob and Patel4Prez, whom have been contributing to getting ML up and running on the E6400/E6500 series. Anybody who might have suggestions or advice is welcome to offer and one of us will test ideas or theories. I have updated the installation guide to reflect the input of these forum members.

Yeah, to play it safe, I shut off anything wireless, shut down the performance components. I'm thinking it's graphics related - the card may not be supported. I'm going to try adding the device id to the info.plist of the appropriate Nvidia.kext(s), run it through a my fix, re-install and see what happens.

*Sorry for my inactivity, really busy lately

Edit: Not capped anymore for some reason. Still getting the infamous ~200MHz difference, but I don't mind it. I'm still going to attempt Emulated Speedstep.

Also, if we boot via Safe Boot, there's no really way to tell if the graphics are working or not, right? For example, graphics work nicely on my old D820 here, but when I enable safe boot, it works as choppily as this E6400 is right now on ML. Perhaps we should narrow out the issues of why it refuses to boot without -x?