Mountain Lion on E6400 in 5 Steps!

DaFOB

Firstly, thanks so much to all those how contributed.  Your work and sharing of it is greatly appreciated!

Secondly, to the experts:

I noticed that after I do myfix (Full) shutdown works instantly (approx 2 seconds)

but at all other times shutdown takes about 45-50 seconds.  maybe someone can figure out why that is and get us to the point where shutdown always works and is almost instant...

EDIT March 27, 2013 - Ok this /\ is not the case anymore, it just happened a few times I guess. 

Thirdly....

Short version: If you are doing a fresh install of 10.8.3 and are getting an Install Failed at the very end of the installation you could try:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. power down the laptop ( by holding down the power button)

2. boot from the myhack usb again but press a key when the timer bar starts counting down and have it boot from your internal hard drive

3. if your system boots, go through the setup stuff then run myhack and install chameleon on your internal hard drive

4. run myhak again and choose myfix (full)

5. open a terminal window and run   ->  sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0

6. Shutdown (not restart), cross your fingers and power on and if you were having the problem I was you should be good to go !

Long Version:

------------------

I followed the directions in the first post (doing a clean new install of 10.8.3)

After the last of the "we recommend you remove this .kext" it goes for about 3 mins (with disk activity) and bar moves along to almost full and then I get the message

Install Failed
OSX could not be installed on your computer
The Installer could not start up the computer from the disk "MACKINTOSH HD". Try selecting your disk using the Startup Disk utility

(I tried different hard drives one ssd and one normal hd each time using disk utility to partition the drive (GUID, Journeled, extended etc) but allways got this message.

If I tried to start the system it would show:

boot0: GPT
boot0: test
boot0: error

realizing it was probably a boot loader issue of some kind (go easy on me I am a noob at this) I used the myhack boot usb to boot my internal drive and it started up fine.

I then ran myhack to install Chameleon and get this message:

"myFix could not flush the boot sector during Chameleon installation.
This should not be an issue unless your disks boot sector has been corrupted
If you experience any problems with the bootloader during your next boot use the following steps to fix your boot sector:"

Then I ran myhak again and choose myfix (full)

Then open a terminal window and run   ->  sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0

I crossed my fingers and booted up fine!

( Although strangely I still see the below flash up on my screen for split second, its just barely visible before the little cursor thingy in the top left starts going

boot0: GPT )

Ok, here is where I am at:

Working:

------------------------------------
Wired Network ok

Wireless network (on the hunt for DW 510 )
Sound (both speakers and headphone jack) Ok
Video Camera ok
Graphics (nvidia and 1440 x 900 resolution ) ok
touch pad and nub ok
external usb mouse ok
sleep ok
shutdown (takes about a minute on the geray screen ) ok (and has worked everytime so far)
--- UPDAETE --- one time when I started in verbose mode, did some stuff .... then I went to shutdown it went very quick, like a couple of seconds !!! nice
--- UPDATE after more testing ---
I tried verbose mode again and shut down took about a minute (not sure why I got lucky previously)
Ok, on another occasion, I noticed that after running myfix (FULL) and then doing a shutdown it shutdown in seconds !!! (on next boot I did another shutdown and back to the 1 minute wait on grey screen.. uggg... then I tried myfix (QUICK) and this was the worst as after a long time 5 minutes ?? it came back to the logon screen and hung resulting in the first time I had to hard power off by holding the power button down)

--- UPDATE after even more testing ---

It appears that after doing a myfix (FULL) shutdown works instantly (ok, 2 seconds or so)

Restart took a while... about 2 minutes or more on grey screen but it did work eventually (I won't be doing that again!)

Then enabled bluetooth in bios and started in verbose mode
(I think I saw message say bluetooth found or working blah blah or something like that)
then keyboard assistant came up for the first time (I think because of bluetooth)
bluetooth showing up in system profiler (and Network in System Prefs) but I don't have a device to actually test (will report back if I do)

Not working:

------------------------------------------------
Ram speed reported as 758 Mhz but is actually 800 Mhz
CPU speed reported as 2.28 Ghz (but it is a P8700 and should be 2.53 Ghz) - can someone point me in the right link / direction on how to get this going
mic jack does not appear to be working -> does anyone else have this working ???
Wake from sleep works from my usb mouse click but nothing on the keyboard or touch pad seems to wake it from sleep (don't try the power button, that was not pretty...) -> what are others experience with this?
Fingerprint reader... not sure how I would even know if this was working....

In general very nice indeed.

Thanks guys, I read through a lot of the old posts and saw all the trials and tribulations it took to get to this point.

Sleep is in issue that can be hit or miss on these. Probably the best your going to get is STR (Suspend to Ram). Fingerprint reader is something that has eluded us for a while. If you want to see a more accurate reading for processor speed and Memory speed add these lines to you SMBIOS.plist:
    SMmaximalclock
    SMmemspeed
As for mike jack, I assume you want the jack, not the internal microphone - look at post#5 in this thread: https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/2165-e6400-audio-issues/, then go to System Preferences, Audio, Input and make sure the microphone jack box is selected.

Thx Darvinko,

I got VoodooHDA_282ML.zip from this link:

http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?s=c21f9b53d2dbf3a9188a683205b38302&act=attach&type=post&id=5736

that was listed on this page:

http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=355

I copied over just VoodooHDA.kext to Extras\Extensions and made the changes outlined in info.plist in the post you linked (ran myfix full, shutdown) and Mic is is working great !!

Edit: Built in Mic of Webcam works great (as "Microphone (Digital)" but when selecting Microphone (Black Right) Mic via input jack gets nothing.

I also added the SMBIOS.plist entreis you suggested and display of cpu and memory speed are showing correctly BUT is the system actually running at that speed ?

I have had "installation failed" errors at the end of installing two out of 3 things I have installed so far. 

First was for an Airlink 101 USB wireless stick.

It looked like it was at or near the end so when the error came up on the installer closed it, ran myfix Full, shutdown, and after starting up the usb wireless stick was working great (better signal than the card with antenna in my desk top!!)

I figured it was some installer problem and did not worry about it as it was working.

Next I did a Software update and choose Itunes (11.02 I think it was) and at what seem like near or at the end of the install I got an installation error.. hmm I thought.

So I did the same as last time, I closed the installer, ran myfix Full, shut down, started up, when into about my mac and checked the itunes version and it was updated, then started itunes and it seemed to run fine ...

My only guess is that these errors on installation are some kind of permissions thing ?!?!?

Anyway I have expected it to happen again when I ran software update and installed the Airport utility 6.2 but that worked fine... go figure.

Have others had application installation errors?

Lastly to update on how my shutdown is working.  I thought it was consistent that after a myfix full it would shutdown in a few seconds but that is not the case for me anymore.

But what I have noticed (in the last two shutdowns) is if sleep the laptop then wake it up then do a shut down it shutsdown in a few seconds.  I will keep doing this from now on and see if it is consistent or not and report back.

Now I am off to see if I have to do anything to make sure TRIM is working for the Intel 520 128GB SSD......

Edit 1: Ok, Shutdown does NOT always go quick if I sleep first 

Edit 2: I got trim working (10.8.3) by entering these commands

1. Backup the file we’re patching

sudo cp /System/Library/Extensions/IOAHCIFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IOAHCIBlockStorage.kext/Contents/MacOS/IOAHCIBlockStorage /System/Library/Extensions/IOAHCIFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IOAHCIBlockStorage.kext/Contents/MacOS/IOAHCIBlockStorage.original

2. Patch the file to enable TRIM support

FOR ML 10.8.3sudo perl -pi -e 's|(\x52\x6F\x74\x61\x74\x69\x6F\x6E\x61\x6C\x00{1,20})[^\x00]{9}(\x00{1,20}\x54)|$1\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00$2|sg' /System/Library/Extensions/IOAHCIFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IOAHCIBlockStorage.kext/Contents/MacOS/IOAHCIBlockStorage

3. Force a refresh of the system’s kernel extension cache

sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions/

4. Now Reboot!

a) If in the future you want to disable TRIM support

FOR ML 10.8.3sudo perl -pi -e 's|(\x52\x6F\x74\x61\x74\x69\x6F\x6E\x61\x6C\x00).{9}(\x00\x54)|$1\x41\x50\x50\x4C\x45\x20\x53\x53\x44$2|sg' /System/Library/Extensions/IOAHCIFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IOAHCIBlockStorage.kext/Contents/MacOS/IOAHCIBlockStorage

B) If something goes horribly wrong, restore the backup

sudo cp /System/Library/Extensions/IOAHCIFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IOAHCIBlockStorage.kext/Contents/MacOS/IOAHCIBlockStorage.original /System/Library/Extensions/IOAHCIFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IOAHCIBlockStorage.kext/Contents/MacOS/IOAHCIBlockStorage

All this patch does is simply replace the string “APPLE SSD†in the file IOAHCIBlockStorage with zeros. This happens to bypass the restriction of only allowing Apple branded SSDs. The backup of the original file is saved in the same directory as the original file.

To check if it worked, open up About This Mac, click the “More Info…†button then the “System Report†button. In the list on the left, choose “Serial-ATAâ€. Click on your SSD Drive and in the lower half of the screen you should now see “TRIM Support: Yes†instead of “Noâ€.

Remember, if you have an older generation SSD, the hardware itself may not support TRIM …and therefore this patch won’t help you. This patch bypasses the restriction put in place by Apple to restrict TRIM support to Apple branded SSD drives.

OR read the whole article at this link:

http://digitaldj.net/2011/07/21/trim-enabler-for-lion/

Hi Everyone,

Firs of all I want to thank you all the posts it helped me a lot to be able to install ML on a E6500. :)

However, I read through the whole topic and didn't find any comments / notes about someone having an E6500 with Intel chipset and GWA4500 video card.

I did find some articles and form comments regarding that video card however not in the same laptop I have.

Has anyone come across with an E6500 like that? Has anyone been able to install that VGA with hight resolution (meaning not having only the 1024x768 resolution)?

Is it even possible or I'm pretty much wasting my time trying to find the right kext and modifying it with my device ID?

• Administrators

The Intel GMA4500 chip is not supported by Mac OS X at all. You'll never get graphics hardware acceleration, so you'd kind of waste your time unless you want to use OS X on that laptop with graphics limitations.

Thanks for the info. I kind of started figuring it out, but now I am completely certain! Thanks. :) This was just a project for me as I got this laptop recently from work...

Thankfully ML is running on my Precision T3400 with full hardware acceleration.

Ok, mic in is not working for me (from the mic in port on the right side of the laptop beside the headphone jack).

The built in mic (part of the web cam) is working as "Microphone (digital)" but when I select "Microphone (Black Right)" I get nothing.

I got VoodooHDA_282ML.zip from this link:

http://www.projectos...pe=post&id=5736

that was listed on this as " VoodooHDA_282ML.zip ( 125.34K ) Number of downloads: 641" at the bottom of this page:

http://www.projectos...p?showtopic=355

I copied over JUST VoodooHDA.kext to Extras\Extensions and made the changes outlined in info.plist in page 5 of this post:

http://forum.osxlati...-audio-issues/,

Then ran myfix full and shutdown. 

Should I have I have done something with VooDoo.prefPane or VoodooHdaSettingsLoader ?

Is that the correct version VooDooHDA 2.8.2 for Mountain Lion?  

Here is what my Info.plist from VoodooHDA.kext (from \Extra\Extensions) looks like:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>BuildMachineOSBuild</key>
	<string>11G63</string>
	<key>CFBundleDevelopmentRegion</key>
	<string>English</string>
	<key>CFBundleExecutable</key>
	<string>VoodooHDA</string>
	<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
	<string>org.voodoo.driver.VoodooHDA</string>
	<key>CFBundleInfoDictionaryVersion</key>
	<string>6.0</string>
	<key>CFBundleName</key>
	<string>VoodooHDA</string>
	<key>CFBundlePackageType</key>
	<string>KEXT</string>
	<key>CFBundleShortVersionString</key>
	<string>2.8.2</string>
	<key>CFBundleSignature</key>
	<string>????</string>
	<key>CFBundleVersion</key>
	<string>2.8.2</string>
	<key>DTCompiler</key>
	<string>com.apple.compilers.llvmgcc42</string>
	<key>DTPlatformBuild</key>
	<string>4F1003</string>
	<key>DTPlatformVersion</key>
	<string>GM</string>
	<key>DTSDKBuild</key>
	<string>11G63</string>
	<key>DTSDKName</key>
	<string></string>
	<key>DTXcode</key>
	<string>0441</string>
	<key>DTXcodeBuild</key>
	<string>4F1003</string>
	<key>IOKitPersonalities</key>
	<dict>
		<key>VoodooHDA</key>
		<dict>
			<key>AllowMSI</key>
			<true/>
			<key>Boost</key>
			<integer>0</integer>
			<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
			<string>org.voodoo.driver.VoodooHDA</string>
			<key>IOClass</key>
			<string>VoodooHDADevice</string>
			<key>IOMatchCategory</key>
			<string>VoodooHDADevice</string>
			<key>IOPCIClassMatch</key>
			<string>0x04030000&0xffff0000</string>
			<key>IOProviderClass</key>
			<string>IOPCIDevice</string>
			<key>IOUserClientClass</key>
			<string>VoodooHDAUserClient</string>
			<key>InhibitCache</key>
			<false/>
			<key>MixerValues</key>
			<dict>
				<key>PCM</key>
				<integer>90</integer>
				<key>Rec</key>
				<integer>70</integer>
				<key>iGain</key>
				<integer>90</integer>
				<key>iMix</key>
				<integer>0</integer>
			</dict>
			<key>NodesToPatch</key>
			<array/>
			<key>Noise</key>
			<integer>0</integer>
			<key>Vectorize</key>
			<true/>
			<key>VoodooHDAEnableHalfMicVolumeFix</key>
			<true/>
			<key>VoodooHDAEnableHalfVolumeFix</key>
			<true/>
			<key>VoodooHDAEnableMuteFix</key>
			<true/>
			<key>VoodooHDAEnableVolumeChangeFix</key>
			<true/>
			<key>VoodooHDAVerboseLevel</key>
			<integer>0</integer>
		</dict>
	</dict>
	<key>OSBundleLibraries</key>
	<dict>
		<key>com.apple.iokit.IOAudioFamily</key>
		<string>1.1fc9</string>
		<key>com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily</key>
		<string>2.1</string>
		<key>com.apple.kpi.iokit</key>
		<string>9.0.0</string>
		<key>com.apple.kpi.libkern</key>
		<string>9.0.0</string>
		<key>com.apple.kpi.mach</key>
		<string>9.0.0</string>
		<key>com.apple.kpi.unsupported</key>
		<string>9.0.0</string>
	</dict>
</dict>
</plist>

You have the correct edits in the Info.plist (obviously, or it wouldn't be working - the internal one). I haven't tried using the microphone jack as I aslo have the webcam and wanted it for FaceTime. I don't even currently possess an external mic to test, so maybe someone else who has either tried or gotten the external to work can jump in here. One thing I know is certain apps which utilize the audio can play hell with the settings. I had installer AirParrot to push movies wirelessly through my AppleTV and it took a couple of hours to diagnose the issue, uninstall and re-apply the settings to allow the internal to work properly. I would image some of the video players might override some settings also. Not sure if that may have caused an issue for you, but figured I'd throw that out there for anyone else who may encounter the issue.

I'm thrilled that following this guide got OSX on an old E6500 I've got. Unfortunately, the screen stays lit during sleep mode. I've not seen anyone encountering this before. The screen does blank, but it goes to all white (with the mouse pointer visible).

If it matters, the screen does dim when the power adapter is removed from the system.

Cheers, then