Mountain Lion on E6400 in 5 Steps!

DaFOB

I have updated my findings after Bronxteck pointed out an issue regard caches (which was seconded by Herve). The update placed a newer version of AppleACPIPlatform.kext in S/L/E (version 1.7), which conflicts with the version (1.3.5) in E/E, which will create issues with cache rebuilding. Best to delete the AppleACPIPlatform.kext from S/L/E (version 1.7), go into Application to MyHack and run a Full MyFix to rebuild permissions and caches to avoid problems.

I also updated my install from 10.8.3 to 10.8.4 via Apple Menu SW Update. I didn't get any errors. I did not have AppleACPIPlatform.kext in S/L/E in my working 10.8.3 install (FYI...AppleACPIPlatform.kext was v1.7 from 10.8.3 and I had removed it per recommendations in the forum).  The ML 10.8.4 update did not add AppleACPIPlatform.kext back to S/L/E. What 10.8.4 did do is upgrade the DVDPlayback.framework in S/L/Frameworks to 5.7.1, so I had to revert to the patched version I was using to get DVDs to play. I also did not have to run a myFix and I have UseKernelCache=Yes.

The only real problem I'm having with my build is when the computer sleeps. Sometimes it won't come out of sleep properly (e.g. stuck keyboard/mouse pointer, blank screen, and sometimes unresponsive power button without a long press to reboot) and I have to power cycle the laptop. If this could be resolved it would be perfect. Any ideas? (I see the "Error encountered while starting up the computer....pausing 5 seconds" right after VoodooSDHC is loaded. It occurs on every boot, but the computer boots up all the time now without failing even with this error message).

Hey Folks,

I have had no luck in removing AppleACPIPlatform.kext from S/L/E

It always results in a KP on boot. (but always starts up if I use -f)

I have tried on 10.8.3 and 10.8.4 on system with SSD and with HD with GPT and MBR with Single Boot systesm and Multiboot (chameleon, stolen and rebranded) system and it makes no difference.  I have done too many re-installs and backup / recoveries to count...

I think it may be related to a Kernalcache generation issue. I only have two files in S/L/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/startup and they are:

IOKitPeronalities_x86_64.ioplist.gz

KextPropertyValues_OSBundleHelper_x86_64.plist.gz

Is there not supposed to be a file kernelcache in here as well ?

I am thinking that it is not really a problem with the removal AppleACPIPlatform.kext as it boots fine with -f (which I think means boot without caches ?) and runs fine.

The other reason I think the caches is a problem as I seem to have more than my fair share of failed shutdowns.

Yes I run MyFix Full and Repair permissions (sometimes one first then the other or the other way around or Repair permissions before and after MyFix etc or reboot and try again and again etc...)

I have followed the the 5 easy steps method posted here and I am surprised others are not having this issue.  

Anyone have any ideas?  I can post KP if anyone wants a look.

P.S.

My MyHack just updated to 3.2.8 Beta on his site (it seems to be the currently recommended version to use as it is now the link in his main guide page)

I have installed 10.8.4 direct with this new version of MyHack with the Extras provided in this thread and install works (but it did not resolve my KP issue noted above) and can confirm his Trim fix option is working and systems seems to boot a little quicker (but not extensive testing done).

Only difference noted was the kernelcache was generated and was in the S/L/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/startup folder

From his page:

Changelog:
    Bugfix: Fixed “user canceled exiting errorâ€.
    Bugfix: Fixed (and improved) dialog icons.
    Made MBR Patch optional (yes/no dialog).
    Updated chameleon.
    Added support for OS X 10.9 DP1.
    Added TRIM enabler option – will enable TRIM support for all non-apple SSD’s.**
    Other miscellaneous bugfixes and improvements.

Hey Folks,

I have had no luck in removing AppleACPIPlatform.kext from S/L/E

It always results in a KP on boot. (but always starts up if I use -f)

I have tried on 10.8.3 and 10.8.4 on system with SSD and with HD with GPT and MBR with Single Boot systesm and Multiboot (chameleon, stolen and rebranded) system and it makes no difference.  I have done too many re-installs and backup / recoveries to count...

I think it may be related to a Kernalcache generation issue. I only have two files in S/L/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/startup and they are:

IOKitPeronalities_x86_64.ioplist.gz

KextPropertyValues_OSBundleHelper_x86_64.plist.gz

Is there not supposed to be a file kernelcache in here as well ?

I am thinking that it is not really a problem with the removal AppleACPIPlatform.kext as it boots fine with -f (which I think means boot without caches ?) and runs fine.

The other reason I think the caches is a problem as I seem to have more than my fair share of failed shutdowns.

Yes I run MyFix Full and Repair permissions (sometimes one first then the other or the other way around or Repair permissions before and after MyFix etc or reboot and try again and again etc...)

I have followed the the 5 easy steps method posted here and I am surprised others are not having this issue.  

Anyone have any ideas?  I can post KP if anyone wants a look.

P.S.

My MyHack just updated to 3.2.8 Beta on his site (it seems to be the currently recommended version to use as it is now the link in his main guide page)

I have installed 10.8.4 direct with this new version of MyHack with the Extras provided in this thread and install works (but it did not resolve my KP issue noted above) and can confirm his Trim fix option is working and systems seems to boot a little quicker (but not extensive testing done).

Only difference noted was the kernelcache was generated and was in the S/L/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/startup folder

From his page:

Changelog:

Bugfix: Fixed “user canceled exiting errorâ€.

Bugfix: Fixed (and improved) dialog icons.

Made MBR Patch optional (yes/no dialog).

Updated chameleon.

Added support for OS X 10.9 DP1.

Added TRIM enabler option – will enable TRIM support for all non-apple SSD’s.**

Other miscellaneous bugfixes and improvements.

Hi,

try these files, works for me e6500 in 10.8.2-10.8.4

Simply copy content of Extra and Extensions to your Mountain Lion disc and run myfix via myhack.app

/Extra/

/S/L/Extensions/

Btw: to working sound, you must delete ApplaHDA.kext from S/L/E folder.

Something that could be instructive: when you manually enter the command "shutdown -h now" it says ML_OSX is busy updating; waiting for lock;"

and it never makes it there. So some process is holding the lock that allows the system to shut down perhaps.  Maybe there is some script that could kill that process then initiate shutdown.

Anyone have the issue of occasional and random keyboard + mouse lockups? (they no longer respond, everything else works still)

I still get it every so often and it's so frustrating as I have to hook up a USB mouse and force restart.

I've posted this in other e6400 threads, but in case someone knows of a solution. It has been in all versions of os x for this laptop for me.

First, we need to know which version of ML you are trying to install (10.8.0 - 10.8.4). Usually this occurs because you need to roll back the IOPCIPlatform. kext to an earlier version or replace it with a modified one.