HP Envy 17-k251na: display and audio issues in Monterey

Miguel-1964

Hello, I have installed Monterey without problems with CSM enabled (no success with UEFI mode) on my HP ENVY Notebook - 17-k251na (Broadwell) and both wifi and bluetooth (Intel 7260) work, however the screen at startup looks like it lacks screen refresh (the graphics card is an Intel HD5500) and the audio (Alc290). I can't get it to work even changing the alcid=x. Let's see if someone can help me at least on the subject of my screen, I attach a video when starting the laptop.

Thank you.

Bad refresh screen

NB/ I'm using translator, i am Spanish=Español.

• Administrators

I don't know what you mean by "bad screen refresh" but, yes, you indeed have a display issue with your Hackintosh build. I've modified your thread title to properly reflect the problems you've mentioned.

2 x possible causes to your screen problem:

1. wrong configuration (you do not inject the correct settings for HD5500 and/or wrong SMBIOS)
  2. you need to inject your screen's EDID information (you can look this up on the Web: how to extract and how to inject in macOS through bootloader's property). It's very common to require this on HP laptops.

Thank you for correct the title of the post,

However, as for the SMBIOS and the EDID, I have no idea how to do it, it is the first time I have installed Monterrey and as for the Wi-Fi, it works for me because my brother told me and put it. Thank you. PS: If I have to pay something (€5 more or less) to fix it, he would pay for it.

• Administrators

Please add your system's specs in signature.

Looks like your settings are correct:

1. SMBIOS MacBookPro12,1
  2. BDW framebuffer layout if 0x16260006

Re: EDID, as I said, you need to look it up on the web. Extract it with tools/apps such as Monitor Asset Manager, then inject it by adding the following property to the graphics settings of your bootloader's config:

AAPL00,override-no-connect        <XXXXXXXXX>        DATA

where <XXXXXXXX> is your 20bytes (or so) EDID info in one long consecutive hexadecimal string. See the WhateverGreen user manual.

PS: Thanks for the donation offer. You can do this off the main page, there's a button for it.

• Thanks 1

Nothing, my head hurts from trying it, I just have to leave it in CSM mode although I have found a way that when the screen is distorted, I press the power button, the screen is suspended, I press a key and that's the perfect screen.

SMBIOS and BDW framebuffer layout are fine, anyway, now when I'm calmer I'll look at how to install the sound drivers (AL290) and tomorrow the RTS5227 laptop card reader.

Thank you for your patience.

Notebook specifications:

• Intel Core i7-5500U 2.4-3.0GHz dual-core
  • Intel HD Graphics 5500 + NVIDIA GeForce GTX 850M 4GB DDR3 (Optimus)
  • 17.3" 16:9, 1920x1080 LCD
  • 16GB RAM
  • Realtek RTL8168/8111 Gigabit Ethernet
  • Intel 7260 wireless
  • Realtek RTS5227 SD card reader
  • 2 SSD, 1 M.2
  • Realtek ALC290 Audio
  • 3 USB 3.0 / 3.1 Gen1
  • 1 HDMI
  • Audio combo jack
  • 1 fingerprint reader

• Moderators

Your deviceID is incorrect, should be 16160000 or just leave it out. 

Here, make a couple of changes to your config file

Added sdcard reader kext, change alcid to 10 and commented out deviceID

Remove IntelMausi and another network kext, not part of your hardware

Replace your config and add the 2 kexts to the Kexts folder

Envy.zip

• Thanks 1

Hi, I've already done all that and at least the RTS card reader works, I'll resort to pressing the power button on the screen to leave it on standby and the Wi-Fi works fine, although the Bluetooth doesn't have much range but no problem with that:(

The sound is the total thorn, I don't know how to make it work anymore, the only sound I have is the one I hear when pressing the keys :(

Still, very grateful.