Inspiron 1545 & OSX Snow Leopard / Lion

fallen00sniper

• Administrators
On 2/12/2013 at 10:37 AM, fallen00sniper said:
[...]

Kind of become obsessed here lol.

Also planning on building a new high end desktop in a few months, so this is primarily for learning how mac works and what not.

I know the feeling, I more or less did the same with the Inspiron 6000 ;) : I did eventually get SL 10.6.8 to run on it, but the installation method was just non-practical (not to say a bit of a joke) and graphics was just too bad (totally buggy). In the end, there was just no point... To me, it either runs to the full, or it does not, I see little interest/benefit/use of a partially functional OS.

Re: PCI information, you can either get it through the Windows device drivers "Details" properties tab (you'll see lines such as: PCI\VEN_xxxx&DEV_yyyy&........... where xxx=Vendor id and yyyy=Device id in Hex) or through the System Preferences hardware table (but it may not be complete if unsupported H/W is not listed).

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok, i'll reboot to windows and copy the info, ironic you mention QE/CI and junk video, the D630 i had 10.7-.8 on was terrible for netflix and games ran ok, this one actually does the effects a lot better too, i think i just need to get x3100fb working with the kext i found for this version and if i get some kind of support i'll be happy, but i am still kind of proud i got this far none the less and surprised some of my ideas worked, reinstalling 10.6 over 10.6.8 actually rolled it back and gave me a functioning system again.

it will probably be tomorrow night before i get it posted for pci information, i wonder if there is a utility i could use that pulls all of the information at once since i am not sure what you need to know exactly, but thanks herve.

post the info in a bit.

• Administrators

Ok, so there probably isn't a lot to be added, once SL is installed:

. audio HDA should be straight forward (may even work OOB)

. DW1397 works with patched IO80211Family or BCM43xxx kext

. built-in Ethernet ??? No idea...

. Webcam, not listed, but that may be connected to an internal USB and you said that it was working, OOB I guess.

What I would suggest is to 1st get a basic/generic myHack SL installation up to 10.6.8, then proceed with tuning to get devices & functionalities working. You seem to be able to run SL without specific DSDT table, so it's a good start...

Aduio

Sleep

Wireless

10.6 do Not work OOB

Webcam does, but may be temper mental.

I'm thinking I might just stick with 10.6 for a while since 10.6.8 needs more researching.

this may be why 10.6.8 didn't work, i didn't install Legacy kernel before rebooting.

http://www.osx86.net/general-discussion/19516-legacy-kernel-10-6-8-v1-1-update-combined.html

• Administrators

I would actually recommend that you run 10.6.8, because you'll get far more/far better support. For instance, most of the kexts we could recommend would have been tested with 10.6.3 and beyond. 10.6.0 is too old now and hardly anyone will be running that version. Upgrading really should not be an issue at all.

If you want, you could even do it in steps:

1) download and install 10.6.3 Combo update - I'd expect this to be completely straight forward

2) download and install 10.6.7 Combo update - usually a straight forward update from 10.6.3

3) download and install 10.6.8 - can require kext tuning, especially ACPI/PCI/USB kexts...

Why would you want to use legacy kernels??? What kind of CPU do you have?

• Administrators

I read about this Deviato thingie; I'd stay away from that old thing, the X3100 patching sounds a better method to me.

With a T7200, you would really have to find a good explanation for using a legacy kernel!!! Just use plain Mach kernel. Again, I strongly recommend that you get SL 10.6.8 running before you start tuning things. Graphics set aside, everything else should be more or less straight forward under 10.6.8. But anyway, it's your call...

When I get home I have a few combo updates downloaded, should I use update 10.6.8 or the combo?

ok downloading the 10.6.3, 10.6.7 combo updates and 10.6.8 v1.1 update, hopefully the first two are as smooth as expected and 10.6.8 is smooth as possible.

10.6.3 installed with no issues, if i update aiport utility do you expect an issue?
installed 10.6.7 and had a issue with the SleepEnabler.kext, swapped it with the one i found for 10.6.8 and it booted just fine.

i know 10.6.8 is going to give me trouble so i'll wait for you to come back before i run the update.

updating chameleon and hoping it has the prefpane, i have no idea how to add p and c states or the other options you mentioned before in the plist file manually, also trying out a patched x3100 and x3100FB that was done for Lion i believe.

just my luck, the patched x3100 i chose has a back light issue lol

also could you pin this?

https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/2127-how-to-install-106-snow-leopard-on-dell-inspiron-1545/

Trying 10.6.8 update, but hangs after
NTFS driver 3.4 [Flags: R/W].
NTFS volume name , version 3.1.

got close to booting with a different IOPCIFamily.kext for 10.7, but everything else i tried so far leads to a kp, so i guess i am going to have to reinstall 10.6 over my install again and run the 10.6.3 and 10.6.7 updates again and let it rest until i find a solution or you think something up herve, thanks for helping out.

Going to make another myHack pen with 2 partitions, one 10.6 and one 10.7, if I get 10.7 directly with the kext files I have found maybe I can abandon 10.6.8 problems.

thanks for pinning my other post, i reinstalled osx 10.7 on my d630, found the guide on this site again and so far adding the files and installing the chameleon loader provided in the post stopped the random kernel panics, edp needs to be corrected to use those files.

also i should have a dsdt for this laptop tomorrow, hopefully and maybe it will fix some of my upgrade issues, i'll probably have the dual installer pen ready by then and maybe get 10.7 to install and start over, i did find a source for the x4500, not sure if it has qe/ci, but i would like to build it and try it out, how would i go about doing that?