Installing ML on Dell E6530

jd_guthrie

• Moderators

Been having a lot of problems.  No matter what I do (reinstalled, all different boot flags, changed things in boot list) I get a "still waiting for root device".   Frustrating!

Recheck your BIOS, make sure it's set to AHCI. If it's still not working, boot with USBBusFix=Yes. Add it to boot.list if this works.

Man, this is really driving me up the wall.  I have tried EVERYTHING.  I started EVERYTHING back from scratch even with the original Extra folder downloaded from here.  I have never removed the USBBusFix from com.chameleon.boot.plist.  I have checked, rechecked and triple checked the BIOS.  What the heck else would cause this?

maybe it's a bios version issue? are you on latest bios?

A11 is the current and A11 is what I have.  I can boot from the USB to install fine.  It's only on the initial boot after install.  It all started when the other day I attempted an install but I had the drive that was going to run OSX hooked to a docking station.  It installed and booted from there just fine.  I went this route because this is a work computer and I didn't want to have to keep removing the drive every morning I came into work.  When I was content with the install I loaded the drive into the main drive bay and that was the first time I got that error.  I figured the boot loader was looking for a certain drive number (eg hd 1,2) but when it was loaded into the drive bay it was now hd 0,2.  So being slightly frustrated I just reinstalled and I have been having the problem ever since.  I've wiped the drive and tried to reinstall at least a half dozen times trying different kext, DSDT, boot arguments, boot loaders (chameleon, chimera (chameleon, stolen and rebranded)).  At one point I was able to boot after I installed chimera (chameleon, stolen and rebranded) but once I got to the setup screen I didn't have mouse or keyboard so I figured the kext in /Extra didn't load.  So I plugged the drive back into my dock station and ran myfix.  Put it back into the laptop and I then got a "could not parse plist file" error.  Just continued with the boot and then failed at "cannot find root device" again.  I have AHCI selected in the bios.  Optimus is turned off and CPU XD turned on.  ANY ideas from this?

Edit:  I should also mention this is 10.8

• Administrators

maybe your drive is toast see if you can do some low level formatting or check your S.M.A.R.T status for failure?  hd 0,2 should be correct if you only have osx installed. disk0 partition2 since partition 1 is efi. it could also be a 4k sector drive. bootloaders are having issues with that. myhack should install to 4k drive... but there is always that one that just refuses.

maybe your drive is toast see if you can do some low level formatting or check your S.M.A.R.T status for failure?  hd 0,2 should be correct if you only have osx installed. disk0 partition2 since partition 1 is efi. it could also be a 4k sector drive. bootloaders are having issues with that. myhack should install to 4k drive... but there is always that one that just refuses.

Well, I have reformatted the drive a few times now without issue.  How do I do a S.M.A.R.T 1 check and how can I tell if it's a 4k sector drive.  I don't believe it is because it's only a 80GB drive.  It came out of an older Inspiron laptop.

1) Found HD Tune for Widnows 7

Okay.  I'm convinced the drive is shot.  It's damn near impossible for me to even format the drive in OSX (I have an iMac) and even with formating it with exFat or "free space" Windows can't even see it.  The error message I get from osx is "Can't umount drive" and it does that everytime I try to format or erase it and it eventually works.  All in vein because Windows can't see it.  I got my files back from EMlyDinEsH.  However, he gave me 5 DSDTs and 3 SSDTs.  I've used two of the DSDT's so far and I can't even load the USB myHack install drive.  It does through the verbose boot and then all of a sudden the screen goes black.  I've tried with and without Graphics Enabler = yes/no.  Choosing No won't even let me get past the boot screen without error.  I was informed a long time ago that a laptop hackintosh was difficult but never would of guessed this.  Wow. 

BTW, EMlyDinEsH said the reason for so many DSDTs was, "I've included 5 dsdt files where each was patched with different platform id becoz mac recognizes HD4000 very well under any one of these so try each one and see which works for HD4000".  Maybe he's trying to get HD4000 to work because I want sleep to work to?  He never said why I have 3 SSDTs.

• Moderators

You have the NVidia discrete card on that system as you stated, so the Intel HD4000 won't be use. You have to disable optimus in the BIOS, use the usb2.0 port on the left corner to boot.

Check the DSDST to see if it's patched with the nvs5200 display. The 3 ssdt (ssdt, ssdt-1, ssdt-2) are for different power management, you could include all of them. Also make sure you include the right smbios.plist. Mine is for the MBP 9.1. I've seen others use MBP 8.1 too.

You have the NVidia discrete card on that system as you stated, so the Intel HD4000 won't be use. You have to disable optimus in the BIOS, use the usb2.0 port on the left corner to boot.

Check the DSDST to see if it's patched with the nvs5200 display. The 3 ssdt (ssdt, ssdt-1, ssdt-2) are for different power management, you could include all of them. Also make sure you include the right smbios.plist. Mine is for the MBP 9.1. I've seen others use MBP 8.1 too.

Optimus is disabled, USB 2.0 port is being used.  How do I check the DSDT file for nvs5200?  I know I can open it with DSDT Editor but what do I look for?  I thought SSDTs were for speedstep.  How can I tell what each one does?  I'm using MBP 9.1.  Built it using Chameleon Editor.

I've come from tonycrapx86 where only one DSDT was used just using proper edits and only one SSDT was used.  This is a little confusing :blink:

Edit:

EMlyDinEsH has since emailed me back and said to use all the SSDTs and the DSDTs are for me to test each individually.  Problem being, thus far I haven't been able to boot with the first 2.  Tonight I will try the others.  I'm suspect though because when he originally patched them he mentioned having different ones because OSX works well with HD4000 but I know I can't use that.

• Administrators

to test the dsdt's you can rename them to like dsdt1.aml through lets say dsdt5.aml put them in your extra folder then at the chameleon boot prompt type in DSDT=dsdt1.aml -v.... then you can boot to whichever you want to... makes the process much faster to test them.