Dell Latitude D620 Thread

vorob

Hello Syonagar,

First of all... Thank you for welcoming me to this forum!

I have already encountered a problem with MyHack3.0 and felt better to know it is a "known" issue and not an issue w/ my D620.

(if this is in any way highjacking this thread, feel free to remove this post and let me know where to post this please)

Here is what I've done so far:

1) Flashed the A10 BIOS with the one provided by this site (D620 Intel GMA) - Successful.

2) MyHack3 USB stick failed miserably needless to say. I got the Please Shutdown Your system / reboot in multiple languages error.

3) I then used a chameleon boot CD I had here and install Snow Leopard 10.6.3 from my retail DVD. (Not a Core2Duo, so no Lion for me).

What should I do next (step by step) please? Can you point me to the right direction? I'm a total newbie when it comes to OSX on PCs.

Best regards to all,

Eduardo

• Administrators

Dear Eduardo,

I have move your post to the right topic. I hope you don't mind.

You can use the old method to prepare the usb pen for os x installation especially if you have 10.6 dvd using the guide here : http://www.osxlatitude.com/creating-a-usb-pen-with-osx-installation/

Basically, you need to : (1) create an image of the dvd and then restoring it to the usb; (2) install chemeleon to the usb stick; (3) copy the bootpack for D620 to /Extra/Extensions; (4) reboot with mach_kernel -v -f at the boot prompt and you should get into the installation gui.

Give it a try.

Cheers!

I don't mind at all. I'm familiar with managing forums and I understand your move.

As for my D620, I have good news.

Note: I didn't see your post before so I tried the following by myself and it worked:

PREINSTALL:

I flashed the original A10 BIOS with the custom BIOS downloaded from this site. (to flash the BIOS, I created a bootable DOS USB drive using rufus, then, booted into DOS in order to run the new BIOS flasher executable which was copied into the USB stick as well). Flash was flawless.

INSTALL:

1) Booted with an old chameleon CD (D620SLV1.iso) I had here at home. Pressed F5 after replacing the CD with the 10.6.3 retail install DVD.

2) Selected the install DVD from the boot screen and formatted the 80GB HDD using Disk Utility

3) Installed retail 10.6.3 standard like one would to a true apple machine.

4) Rebooted with the chameleon CD and selected the 80GB HDD partition (where I installed 10.6.3).

POSTINSTALL:

5) Copied the Extra folder from the bootpack (related to my D620) which I downloaded from this site and pasted to the root of my now installed OSX 10.6.3.

6) Ran the EDP tool (went through the questions and options available) = Guide here.

7) Installed the bootloader chameleon.

😎 Ran Apple Software Updates until there weren't updates anymore (EVERYTHING).

9) Repaired permissions for good measure using Disk Utility.

10) Rebooted and proceeded to install all my other software... iLife, Office, Skype, etc...

It is working perfectly well. WiFi, Video, Trackpad, USB... (haven't tested sleep yet).

Note: I own a true mac (mac mini + macbook) and the DELL D620 works just like the real mac using the OSXLATITUDE mods.

Thank you so much!

Screenshot of the current desktop:

Screen shot 2012-05-04 at 10.49.24 AM.png

I've also installed Xscreensaver. A very famous collection of about 200 screensavers created originally for *nix (UNIX, Linux, BSD ...) but also available for OSX. (No version for Windows). Screenshots here.

UPDATE: Microsoft Cinema HD webcam worked 100% as well (Video and Audio) without any extra tweaking or software installation. Tested with Photo Booth and Skype 5.

- Eduardo

http://www.osxlatitude.com/creating-a-usb-pen-with-osx-installation/

Howto:

1. Re-partition your usb pen as GUID and Mac OS file system

2. Restore the orginal OSX SL 10.6.0 image to the pen using Disk Utility’s restore function

3. Install the bootloader (attached to post) onto the usb pen – You can download it from below.

(Remember to select correct destination)

4. Extra the extra.zip to the root of the USB drive (attached to post)

5. Boot and install =)

I am following the above instructions but I get stuck at the bootloader part. I can only find bootloaders for Lion not Leopard. Where is it?

• Administrators

Hi dellboy,

Try to reinstall chemeleon from myhack to your new os x system. After you installed the Extra or EDP to your new os x system, make sure you run full myfix in myhack.

Cheers!

Thanks Syonagar but I am afraid that I can't get that far. I cannot get Leopard to install at all without crashing or freezing in the process.

Howto:

1. Re-partition your usb pen as GUID and Mac OS file system

- No problem with that.

2. Restore the orginal OSX SL 10.6.0 image to the pen using Disk Utility’s restore function

- No problem here either.

3. Install the bootloader (attached to post) onto the usb pen – You can download it from below. (Remember to select correct destination)

- I cannot find a bootloader on this page. Where is it? I can see Bootpacks (Are these what you mean?) but they all seem to be for Lion not Leopard.

4. Extra the extra.zip to the root of the USB drive (attached to post)

- Where do I find this extra.zip? I have tried all of the EDP Packs but none of them get me any further forward.

5. Boot and install 😃

- I wish I could!. :-(

I have also tried myHack and tried all the 'extras' with it but still no joy and I'm tearing my hair out a wee bit now!

• Administrators

Hi dellboy,

The bootloader is refering to chameleon. From an existing hack or mac, you need to use myhack 3.1 to prepare the usb installer. Once you have done that, boot into the usb installer and run myhack under the utilities menu. Select install chameleon to install it to you os x installation.

The Extra zip is refering to bootpack which can be downloaded from "Installation --> Downloads" in the wiki / website. Download the model that fits your rigs. Similarly, you need to use myhack from the usb installer to install the bootpack Extra into your os x installation and then reboot.

Once you boot into your os x installation, run EDP, run myfx full mode and reboot.

Cheers!

Thanks again Syonagar. Thank makes things a lot clearer but I still cannot find the bootpack. When I look in at the Installation / Downloads all I can see are three bootpacks and none are for Leopard -

Dell-D430-lion.zip 1.55 MB 18.05.12 18:10:01

Dell-D520-lion.zip 1.55 MB 18.05.12 18:10:02

Dell-D530-lion.zip 1.58 MB 18.05.12 18:10:02