Dell Latitude D620 Thread

vorob

Thanks, appreciate it. I did have to make a new USB drive for the D620 because I couldn't get it to boot at all from the unifail one I created. When I ran myHack I let it search my system for the Install Mac OS X app, and it seemed to find teh right one, but maybe if I just specifically point to it I might get better results? I deleted it and initiated a fresh download, just to be sure. I just discovered online I can make it available to re-download on Lion by holding Opt when clicking the Purchases link on the App Store. :D

edit: holy crap. If you're stupid like me and try to enable mirror mode, Fn+F8 worked in OS X and got me back to extended desktop mode. Did not expect that to work in a thousand years, but did it just now.

Created on a different thumb drive and Lion installed fine. First boot from the HDD crashed before it hit the desktop, though - very early on I got a mis-match on SleepEnabler.kext. It was a 32-bit kext trying to load on 64-bit Lion by default. I added arch=i386 to the USB boot loader and taht still didn't work. Not sure what else to do but remove that kext i guess.

edit: did fresh install instead of upgrading over SL and it works. I used SoundFlower and found I have to delete VoodooHDA.kext in order to prevent KPs, but otherwise life is grand in Lion now.

I hate to ask so many questions, but I noticed one little thing in Lion - is hte Battery menu item supposed to be showing that the power source is battery all hte time, even when plugged in? I have the plug icon in the menu bar, but it says "Power Source: Battery" and I can't find a way to change it.

edit: OK, I fixed THAT problem by using AppleACPIBatteryManager instead of VoodooBattery. Why does EDP use VoodooBattery by default? The EDP util never gave me an option; I had to move VoodooBattery out of Extra/extensions and move AppleACPIBatteryManager into Extra/Extensions by hand.

Hello people .... thanks to information from this site, managed to install OS X 10.6 on my dell D620. At first everything seems ok .... ok ethernet, audio video works ok in native (1280 x 800) and can access the Front Row ... is not a beauty? just do not have wireless / wifi working, but then I change the piece by another compatible Mac (hack) just have to thank all of you that contribute to con inexperienced as I do enjoy a Mac or something very close to a Mac .

ahh I forgot, I can upgrade from 10.6 to 10.6.8 with the combo update? I've done a backup of kexts and disable sleep enabler. I reinstall the kext after the update.

Sorry for my english... is very bad i know....Thank you so much.

Yes, you can upgrade via the Combo update, that's what I did when I installed SL. It works pretty darn well.

10.6.8 is super-stable on the D620, in my brief experience. I'm less impressed with Lion on the machine. I may revert now that I've tried it. Weird random KPs on startup - VoodooRTC, GMA950, VoodooSynaptics...it's a different one every time. If I can get it to boot it seems fine, but getting it to boot is a bit of a chore. :(