Dell Latitude D620 Thread

vorob

Alright thanks for the prompt and welcoming reply. I managed to successfully get 10.6.3 installed on my Latitude D620. The main problems I see so far are that

1.) The processor is only recognized as a 1.03 Ghz Intel Core Duo, when in reality, it's a 1.66 Ghz. Is this just a typo, or is this really going to affect my performance?

2.) Also, I've heard talk about QE/CI. What are these? And how do I know if they're running? Because my transitions (such as scrolling, and minimizing windows are pretty choppy). How can I tell if these are running?

Re-wrote my OSX installation guid :P

So, let me summary itup.

What do we need toinstall MAC OSX on Dell Latitude D620 (With INTEL GMA 950):

1)Download imageSLD430USB.img.bz2, unpack it and “burn†it on flash driver >8gb. Viamac/linux/windows method described here

http://www.osxlatitu..._Latitudes.html

2)Install MACOSX via this flashdrive

a)you need to repartition you HDD in GUID partitiontable via Disk Utility

b)install Mac OSX on Disk 1

c)after installation, when restart will be necessary,use your usb stick to launch mac from “Disk 1â€

3)After installation, when you will see your desktop, download and install thisbootloader http://forum.osxlati...n-v20-rc5-r665/

4)After that, download and install this http://forum.osxlati...ate-5-released/

by following this guide:

1. Download and copy over Extra.zip to /
2. Rename or remove your old Extra (if it exists) folder
3. Unzip Extra.zip to /Extra
4. Open terminal and do:

sudo su [enter]
cd /Extra
./edptool.command

5. Choose to do a new build matching your model and then select Applemouse, Audio(Y),Lan(Y), powerpack(N))
6. Reboot

Now it should boot byitself and you will be able to update 10.6 >> 10.6.6

Additional this guide to have sleepmode enabled:

http://www.osxlatitu...e_with_OSX.html

Alright, currently, I'm on 10.6.3 (Latitude D620 Intel Graphics. Got the Snow Leopard Retail CD that came with 10.6.3) So would I install EDP first, run the commands and then it would be safe to update to 10.6.6? Idk why, but I'm OCD when it comes to having the latest and greatest.

So would I install EDP first or just update from where I am using software update from the apple menu?

ALSO, random question that I hope can be answered since this is the Latitude D620 thread. How much RAM in all can our laptops hold? And what kind? Because I'm about to upgrade this laptop as much as possible, and I'm wondering what ALL I can do to it

1.) The processor is only recognized as a 1.03 Ghz Intel Core Duo, when in reality, it's a 1.66 Ghz. Is this just a typo, or is this really going to affect my performance?

Speedstep is working, it means that ur cpu was working on 1.03 when you opened info screen. Start playing HD movie and you'll have full clock :)

Wow, thats interesting. Though i upgraded only to 2gb, can't see any reason for more if you are not playing games :)

By the way, is there a possibility to monitor cpu load, temperature and ram load on mac os?

Speedstep is working, it means that ur cpu was working on 1.03 when you opened info screen. Start playing HD movie and you'll have full clock :)

Alright, that makes sense. However, I've tried playing multiple videos (a couple simultaneously) and when I check the info, it still says my CPU is 1.03 Ghz. However in MacCPUID, it says the correct frequency. So I guess there's nothing to worry about

Just installed EDP 1.5. Now upgrading to 10.6.6, crossing my fingers nothing goes wrong :D. Loving this Mac! Dream come true

Alright after installing EDP, I thenn ran the 10.6.6 installer. Affter a reboot, I got a flash of an error screen but then it continued to boot. Once it booted fine, everything looked good. However, although it says that I'm connected to airport and ethernet, it won't let me load any webpages. The loading bar gets about halfway (in firefox) and stops... Btw.. I'm typing all this on my phone