D430 lion 10.7.x failing to get to initial setup screen

pongc

Just to update this- Using the lessons learned from my Vostro 200 installation, this was the sequence that worked for me

1. Built myHack USB using sandisk USB stick

2. Bootpack used was the one provided by the forum admin above, and replacing the AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext with the one in this thread (else it loops endlessly)

3. After building the USB installer, I had to run the chown commands to fix ownership in the system/library/extensions/myhack folder (see vostro 200 thread). Just running myfix did not work. If I dont do this step, this results in a kernel panic.

4. After installation, I have to repeat the chown commands and apply on the same /system/library/extensions folder on the laptop drive.

Hope this helps anyone else who may have encountered this same issue.

Understood. I find the corrupt cause to be unlikely as

- The installer was made on the vostro200 (to eliminate the VM factor as the cause)

- myHack app was re-downloaded from source ( not reusing same one)

Based on the behavior my suspect is that it has something to do with how the bootpacks are being extracted, since the permissions that are being applied are similiar to those on the extra folder after it is extracted. Next time I get a chance to rebuild I am going to test this theory, ie extract contents using root instead of whatever account I am using.

Thanks for taking the time to read/response to all the threads!