Dell E6420 with Nvidia Nvs 4200M on Mavericks

veedub89

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still get the same error.  I've attached a photo of it this time.  Not sure if it really helps though.  Is there any other information I've missed that could help you out?

edit: as I look at this photo after posting it, it says that I was using a different DSDT (DSDT-2ch.aml).  The error is still the same as the last one that happened with the most recent DSDT provided.  When I posted the pic, I had to choose one that was easiest to view.  The pic I took with the last error happening was just a little fuzzy at the last two lines, although they said exactly the same thing.

post-2249-0-16592700-1395526775_thumb.jpg

Update:  I don't have the memory allocation error anymore causing the system halt error when booting.  The latest chameleon(2377) was the cause.  The one that comes with myHack(chameleon 2266) works fine, and I can finally boot into the system with Jake's Optimus enabled bootpack.  Checked and rechecked with the versions of chameleon, and it definitely is what's causing the error.

New issue has come up though.  I get screen artifacts, that are driving me insane.  It's not full screen artifacting.  it seems that it's just certain ares of certain programs, icons on my desktop, and icons in the dock.  The side bar of finder never gets the artifacts.  Chrome doesn't get them.  and the drop down menu of hwmonitor.app itself doesn't get them, although the artifacts show up around the outside of it.  I didn't check many other apps but it's still only certain areas of the apps that get the artifacting.  But its clearly not the whole screen, leading me to believe it might not be a hardware issue such as the screen or cable.  On my DV9000 I got the artifacts full screen when the GPU went out, both in windows and mac, leading me to believe it's probably not the case here.  I won't rule out the GPU altogether yet though.  I have cleaned and repasted the GPU just in case.  The fan is working fine, and temps are in the acceptable range.  I've tried different hard drives.  I've even tried different ram in my system.

I have checked for the artifacts in Windows, and they don't show up there.  I have tried all the different DSDTs that have been suggested in the thread so far, and the artifacts still happen.  I have remade my USB installer, and reinstalled the system, and that didn't help.  I checked for it with both 10.9.0, and after the 10.9.2 update, and that didn't seem to make a  difference.  I checked the speed stepping, and that is working fine.  I have updated the FakeSMC after having the issue with the one that was in Jake's Extra packs, and did the fine tuning trick for it with my MacBook Pro 8,2 smbios.plist as suggested in the articles section of this site to no avail.  I've even tried older versions of FakeSMC.  I've tried all the graphics switches in the boot plist, Graphics Enabler= yes and no, Skip nVidia GFX= yes and no, and Enable DualLink=yes and no.  The only switch that has seemed to work, although with drastically reduced performance is cpus=1, which I don't find very acceptable as a long term solution.  I've tried it with trim for my SSD disabled.  I've turned off just the turboboost in bios, but it didn't seem to even affect the system at all.  The processor still ran as fast as without it, and the artifacts still show up.  I've even tried several different bios revisions which still didn't fix the problem.  

Is there anything else I could check/try to troubleshoot this that I may have missed?

I think I may have just found the gremlin..... Grrrrrr......  I think the motherboard just failed.  It's booting to the bios logo screen.  Then half the dell logo is visible, and it's stuck.  Gonna have to order a new one, I guess...... So, I'll be unable to test for another week while I get a new one on order.