Dell E6420 with Nvidia Nvs 4200M on Mavericks

veedub89

bad news...  just updated to 10.9.2, and the artifacts are back with full strength.  I removed the kexts that are duplicated in E/E, ran my fix/full, and rebooted.  And it didn't help.  Not sure where to go now.  I feel like getting rid of this thing, and starting over with a more compatible model.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

bad news...  just updated to 10.9.2, and the artifacts are back with full strength.  I removed the kexts that are duplicated in E/E, ran my fix/full, and rebooted.  And it didn't help.  Not sure where to go now.  I feel like getting rid of this thing, and starting over with a more compatible model.

Could be your LVDS cable. Should say 2CH on the label on the back on the connector of the LCD.

Have you try the boot pack for nvidia 4200m with Optimus disabled? 

the cable is the correct one, it has the 2ch designation on the label.  I have your bootpack in use right now without optimus enabled.  I can't get quicktime working properly with it.  That's not the big issue as I use other vid programs.  But every time I go into a folder with video in it I get an error popping up saying, "VTDecoderXPCService quit unexpectedly".  If i stay with the finder open it will keep popping up.  Very annoying as I use my laptop quite a bit to watch videos when I travel.  I've googled the error, but cant find any resolutions to that either.  

Just tried both those options, with no luck.  Still get the artifacts.  I did remove the problematic kexts.  I have noticed that if I stop hwmonitor from loading at startup, it takes longer for the error to hit, and the artifacts to show.  Just starting hwmonitor has been the test I've been using today to start the error.  That got me thinking, and I removed all the plugins from FakeSMC one by one, and it does get better(as in it takes longer for the error to happen), but the error does still break in.  After that, if I dont start up hwmonitor at all, and just start opening apps, it takes much longer for it to hit, but it still happens eventually.

I put them in there, and re-ran myfix, didn't help, but didn't hurt either.  No KP's, no errors.

I did some looking into seeing if the true mac hardware was having the issue.  There is a 13 page thread on it here:  https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5493333?start=0&tstart=0  

Found another 3 page thread here:  https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5506163

Seems it's even an issue with true mac hardware, especially those with graphics switching in 2010, 2011 macbooks.  One guy near the end of the 2nd thread suggested trying to install mountain lion.  I think I may give that a shot later today just to see if that might be a driver problem in mavericks.  Could be a better solution for now anyways.

No luck with ML either.  The artifacts showed up there too.  I'll stick with the Optimus disabled bootpack for now. Maybe it'll get fixed at some point in the future.   Or I'll invest in another more compatible model sometime soon. Thanks to everyone who helped out!!!

Well....  I believe the problem is now fixed.  All the troubles came down to not having the proper LCD panel in my system.  Got a new one, and put in today.  Everything is working as it should.  I have tried and tried and tried all the things that were causing it to error out, and nothing is causing it to produce the artifacts again.  Amazing.

Thanks again to everyone who has help me try to troubleshoot this!!!