[SOLVED] Latitude E6530 High Sierra Upgrade using Clover

esmith1966

• Moderators

Try HS guide here to create USB installer, use bootpack here

Make sure to use Bios A13. If you have something higher, you could try downgrading to A13 to prevent artifacts. If that still fails, then you'll need to downgrade to A03 first and then back to A13.

Set BIOS to default. Apply. Then set to UEFI/AHCI/XD Support enabled

Hello Jake,

So I was able to install High Sierra on my 6530 using the exact same EFI you mentioned above. My laptop works fine for the most part but I could not get sound working and sleep function does not work. I have attached my EFI folder with untouched dsdt in origin folder. When you get a chance, can you take a look? Thanks.

BIOS: A20 | i7-3720QM | 16GB | nVidia 5200M (Optimus enabled in BIOS) | 1920x1080

EFI.zip

• Administrators
  1. Replace your current and older version of lilu kext by version 1.2.2 or 1.2.3 (latest at time of writing)
  2. Add AppleALC kext (it supports IDT 92HD93 of our Latitude E6x30 laptops)
  3. Add latest CodecCommander kext

You should then have full audio running with vanilla AppleHDA.

For Sleep, please consult the FAQ section of the forum.

Herve,

Thanks for your help. Sound works now. However, I got this error upon first reboot after adding/updating kext files you mentioned. My laptop came up fine on the second reboot.  Any idea what this is about?

crash-1.jpg

crash-2.jpg

• Administrators

Seems to be AICPUPM related. Your Clover config showed you had applied the associated patch. Things you can do:

1. In your Clover "System Parameters" section/tab, change "Inject kexts" from "Yes" to "Detect"
  2. Make sure you only run with the vanilla AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement (AICPUPM) kext (in /S/L/E)
  3. Repair your /S/L/E & /L/E permissions and rebuild your cache

• Administrators

I don't think you generated your CPU-specific SSDT for power management. This is done with Pike R Alpha's well-known SSDT generator tool. The resulting SSDT goes next to the DSDT in ACPI/patched Clover EFI folder.

In case you no longer boot because Clover kext injection changed from "Yes" to "Detect", you should be able to overwrite this from Clover's default menu at boot time.

So after much trial and error, I finally got my laptop working again. I have Clover kext injection set to Detect and see the following lines in clover boot log so I must have generated correct SSDT for my laptop.

5:493  0:000  === [ ACPIPatchedAML ] ====================================
5:493  0:000  Unsorted
5:493  0:000  Inserting SSDT-1.AML from EFI\CLOVER\ACPI\patched: size=6538 ... Success
5:510  0:016  Inserting SSDT.AML from EFI\CLOVER\ACPI\patched: size=2254 ... Success
5:518  0:008  CPUBase=0 and ApicCPUBase=1 ApicCPUNum=8
5:518  0:000  Maximum control=0x1A
5:518  0:000  Turbo control=0x24
5:518  0:000  P-States: min 0x7, max 0x24
5:518  0:000  SSDT with plugin-type without P-States is generated
5:518  0:000  Cleanup XSDT: count=16, length=164
5:518  0:000  corrected XSDT count=13, length=140

Sleep still does not work though. It appears my laptop goes to sleep but wakes up immediately.  Sometimes after booting I get blank/black screen and looks as if the laptop is about to go to sleep mode. Pressing a key usually get the login screen back. 

I tried my own dsdt.aml per Pokenguyen's guide but I get a kernel panic every other boot and even if it boots up, sleep still does not work.  I will do some more research next weekend but I'm ok for now.

Hi Herve,

I made my own dsdt and applied the Rehabman's USB3_PRW 0x0D patch which seems to have fixed instant wake on sleep.  However, I get a kernel panic on reboot.  Cold boot or shutdown & boot seems to work fine though. Any idea what the problem might be?

Thanks for your help again.