Dell Latitude D830 Thread

macluscious

• Administrators

+1, I never just replace the existing /Extra by that of the Bootpack, I always relaunch myHack and select "Install Extra" when creating the USB pen (I think the option of the Generic or Own /Extra is only offered at OS install).

One comment about your 4th point. When you say you browse to your 10.7.2 image, what do actually point to? The "Install Mac OS X Lion.app" of the "InstallESD.dmg" image which is only found by right clicking onto the .app image to browse its contents and going to Shared Support folder? It is the ESD image that you should point to. As such, you need to copy it onto your desktop or someplace else because it's not directly accessible from myHack as .app contents.

+1, I never just replace the existing /Extra by that of the Bootpack, I always relaunch myHack and select "Install Extra" when creating the USB pen (I think the option of the Generic or Own /Extra is only offered at OS install).

One comment about your 4th point. When you say you browse to your 10.7.2 image, what do actually point to? The "Install Mac OS X Lion.app" of the "InstallESD.dmg" image which is only found by right clicking onto the .app image to browse its contents and going to Shared Support folder? It is the ESD image that you should point to. As such, you need to copy it onto your desktop or someplace else because it's not directly accessible from myHack as .app contents.

Thanx for replying...

in fact i point to the installer that is on my desktop and myhack found the InstallESD.dmg that is within..

Myhack mount the image correctly and start to transfert on the usb pen.

Spent another couple of hours yesterday and cant go further that the cras log viewer...

I wish i can find an image of an correct usb pen for the d830 nvidia that i can try...

This may be too little, too late, but I was having the same issue for a while. When trying to install Lion, I got the crash report right before the option to start the full install should appear, and on SL, the screen would go black just before it was time to launch the graphical installer. I let it rest a while. Finally, at work, another D830 retired, but with a 1280x800 (I had 1680x1050) display. I switched out the entire top cover as to not have to dig into the panel (something chaps me about prying off the little rubber nubs!). After that, both SL and Lion have installed flawlessly. I don't know what your resolution is on your D830, and I know trading out the entire top panel is not really a solution, but it is what worked for me. Maybe somebody smart with this stuff will have a moment of clarity!

Note, I am using an Intel version D830 (1.8Ghz c2d, 2GB DDR2, 160GB Scorpio Black), not an nVidia. So, maybe that at least rules graphics cards out?

• Administrators

In your case, you were in the same situation as the D630 with Intel Crestline X3100 graphics where a specific DSDT table is required per LCD resolution (WXGA 1280x800 vs. WXGA+ 1440x900).

On the D830, there are 3 different LCD resolutions: WXGA 1280x800, WSXGA+ 1680x1050 and WUXGA 1920x1200. It appears the only available bootpacks are for WXGA and WUXGA resolution; nothing for WSXGA+, which you had. As such, whatever bootpack you used during installation did not suit the actual H/W, hence black screen (a typical symptom) and other issues.

If you still possess that LCD, we could probably create a specific DSDT table and update the bootpack list for that screen size.

D630 with nVidia graphics is not affected by this resolution-based DSDT issue and I would expect the same for the D830.

The issue in gbrown69's case seems to be nVidia 140m related, whereas nVidia 135m laptops are generally Ok. It'd be interesting to know if he met success on the nVidia 135m model he had mentionned.