Mountain Lion anyone?

Darvinko

Thanks Darvinko!

I followed all steps carefully, still black screen...

Do i need to use the 4300 bootpack?

it is listed under necessary things but later no instructions about it...

thanks again

Also, try using with GraphicsEnabler=Yes -v -f. You indicated that would bring you so far before getting a KP. The verbose mode should tell you where it is KP'ing (what kext's might be causing the KP). Let us know so we can sort it out from there.

I did tried GraphicsEnabler=Yes -v -f, but KP happens when the installer switches into gray screen with apple logo. and there is no verbose mode.

I will rebuild the installer key and try again.

thanks a lot for your help Darvinko!

Also, try using with GraphicsEnabler=Yes -v -f. You indicated that would bring you so far before getting a KP. The verbose mode should tell you where it is KP'ing (what kext's might be causing the KP). Let us know so we can sort it out from there.

Is the E6520 close enough to the E6400/E6500 in architecture that any of this would apply to it as well?

The processors (and graphics) are different (as you know), so there are some differences in the install. For example, the edited NVIDIA kexts support the Quadro 160M graphics card, I'm not sure if there is native support in ML for your graphics card or if they had to modify them. There is an excellent thread for the E6420/E6520 which I'm sure answers some (if not all) of these questions.

I did tried GraphicsEnabler=Yes -v -f, but KP happens when the installer switches into gray screen with apple logo. and there is no verbose mode.

I will rebuild the installer key and try again.

thanks a lot for your help Darvinko!

I re-read the thread. When the other member had his black screen issue, it may have been because he placed his IOPCIFamily.kext in Extra/Extensions. Make sure you are placing it in System/Library/Extensions and then run a My Fix on the installer afterward. Use a full My Fix, not the Quick one.

One other thing I didn't have in the guide (now added): Before installing, make sure your Hard Drive is in AHCI mode and shut down bluetooth as these impact your install. To put your hard drive in AHCI mode, you need to enter BIOS by tapping the f2 key repeatedly during startup. You will enter System Properties. Use the down arrow key to highlight the System Configuration section and hit enter. As it expands, use the down arrow to highlight SATA Operation and hit Enter. Using your cursor, click the AHCI button, click apply, then click exit. You will then boot normally. On the right side of the laptop, move the switch so the red is exposed. This shuts off wireless devices. Then continue with your install.

Darviniko thanks for all your advices!

I rebuilt usb key installer and I was able to install the system with 4300 bootpack.

but when i restart, i am getting kp.

if i select -v: it goes to black screen and i cannot see anything.

if i use 'GraphicsEnabler=Yes' - i get KP and i don't know what caused the panic.

if i use 'GraphicsEnabler=Yes -v' i get black screen.

any idea what could be wrong?

Darviniko thanks for all your advices!

I rebuilt usb key installer and I was able to install the system with 4300 bootpack.

but when i restart, i am getting kp.

if i select -v: it goes to black screen and i cannot see anything.

if i use 'GraphicsEnabler=Yes' - i get KP and i don't know what caused the panic.

if i use 'GraphicsEnabler=Yes -v' i get black screen.

any idea what could be wrong?

Try adding -x boot flag to see if it will boot in safe mode, also trying using a different USB port when booting. I assume you have the hard drive set at AHCI and bluetooth shut off?

Hi all,

I am setting up another E6400 HacBook for a friend and don't know why on earth Bluetooth doesn't work.

According to most of you, it should work natively, but it doesn't seem to do so for me. I tried re-installing (3 times) and using the DellBluetoothHCI.kext from Lion also, but it didn't work.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!